Lucky ponders NFL

NU Football: Lucky ponders leaving Huskers early for NFL

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Brandon Jackson can offer more sympathy and understanding than advice for Nebraska I-back Marlon Lucky as the deadline approaches for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft.

"It's the hardest decision I ever made," Jackson said. "You're going into that with a blindfold on."

Jackson decided last January to leave NU after his junior season. Green Bay made the I-back its second-round draft pick at No. 63 overall.

Although Lucky hasn't spoken publicly on the matter, he is believed to be at least considering doing the same. Wayne Padden, his guardian in North Hollywood, Calif., has told The World-Herald that Lucky won't make any announcement, one way or the other, until close to the Jan. 15 deadline.

If Lucky comes back, the 1,000-yard rusher would again be the Huskers' feature back. As Jackson was deciding, he was looking at fighting for 2007 carries with Lucky, Cody Glenn and Kenny Wilson.

"I don't know what he's going to do, what he's thinking, but I feel like my situation was different," Jackson said. "I'd just tell him to do what's best for him. Sit and wait and learn everything about what you're getting into, because you don't know if you're making the right decision or not.

"I felt like I made the right decision."

Among high-profile running backs, Jamaal Charles of Texas, Kevin Smith of Central Florida and Rashard Mendenhall of Illinois already have announced they will not return for their senior seasons. Two-time Heisman Trophy finalist Darren McFadden of Arkansas also is expected to declare, and other juniors to watch in the next week will be Steve Slaton of West Virginia, Ray Rice of Rutgers and Jonathan Stewart of Oregon.

Tim Beck, hired Monday to replace Randy Jordan as the Huskers' running backs coach, said that he had not yet spoken with Lucky.

"Everything's been such a whirlwind," Beck said. "That's something we'll be getting to this week."

I'm torn between whether or not this is a good thing. I don't think Lucky was as good as a runner as Brandon Jackson was two years ago, and not as good as a runner as Castille or Helu, however, he was a better receiver than all of them and I think we would miss that.

Whatever happened to Kenny Wilson? Does he have any eligibility left?

I'm torn between whether or not this is a good thing. I don't think Lucky was as good as a runner as Brandon Jackson was two years ago, and not as good as a runner as Castille or Helu, however, he was a better receiver than all of them and I think we would miss that.

Whatever happened to Kenny Wilson? Does he have any eligibility left?

Kenny Wilson does have one year left

I think Lucky at the end of the '07 season > Jackson in '06

Regardless of that, he could really, really make some noise next year.

Man what a lame post, all I did was say something that has been said 1,000 times already.

Wow, I completely disagree. Jackson showed consistent tough running, Lucky definitely didn't. I think Lucky has a TON to prove this year and could dramatically improve his draft status earning him a huge signing bonus that couldn't be made back. Obviously there is always the risk of injury, but I think it's worth the risk to stick around and improve his running ability between the tackles. If he show's some grit in the running game and continues his prowess in the passing game then he will be extremely valuable next year. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't see an NFL team getting very excited about a running back who can only catch the ball.

I disagree with the posters above who think Lucky is an NFL-back. At this point in his career, he doesn't have the durability or the hard running ability to be a between the tackles back, nor is he shifty enough to make people miss on a consistent basis in the league. We all have seen how effective Reggie Bush has been in the NFL (mediocre at best), and Marlon is the style of back Bush is.

Having said that, I am a Marlon Lucky fan and think that he can become an NFL back with proper development. I hope he elects to stay so he can work on his skill set.

To anyone who says he "needs" or "has" or "should" stay on the team...

maybe what he cares about is the money, not how high he'll go. Sure, the higher the pick the more cash, but I wouldn't complain if I am going to be getting paid 6 figures or more for playing football no matter how much I get.

RUSHING GP-GS Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucky, Marlon 12-12 206 1057 38 1019 4.9 9 41 84.9

Yep 4.9 yards per carry is absolutely horrible, bleh he can't make anyone miss or run between the tackles. /sarcasm

Really I think Marlon Lucky with his speed and shiftiness is of similar style to Marshall Faulk (my favorite player of all-time) By no means do I think he has the same talent level, or that he'll become as successful, but I believe they are of the same style running back. Both being smaller shiftier guys that were also a passing threat. I think whatever Lucky does it will be the right move for him personally, now being a Husker fan I obviously want him here for another year. But, if he decides to declare for the draft that would be fine by me.