IMO the recruiting class has been salvaged.

We had the top ranked class 3 years ago according to ESPN.....HMMMMM...how'd that work out for us? Here's a few top recruits from that year....Justin Tomerlin, Franz Hardy, Leon Jackson, Chris Brooks, Harrison Beck, Zach Bowman. Bowman was good for 1 year. A few 3 stars and lower turned out OK...Zack Taylor, Matt Slauson (0 stars), Barry Cryer...

I'm not saying we don't need 4-5 star players, but if they don't want to play for N then we don't need them. Callahan could have stayed and Gabbert could have broken every record we had, and we still would have lost 3-5 games a year. I'm not interested in that.

It's not the class, it's the coach. That class of freshman are seniors now so they should be winning more than 5 games a year. We'll see how Bo does....

As far as "losing so many" recruits, don't compare our situation to other programs. Consider the source who recruited those kids. You can figure that B.C. and some of his assistants fed the kids with a lot of B.S. -- you want to play right away?; do you want to go to the NFL? And then Bo, the straight shooter, comes in and says I will not make any promises, but if you put in your best effort, you will have a chance to start some day. So consider the sharp contrast of personalities between Bo and B.C. before you make a pre-judgement. If you have a new coach who has a personality similar to the previous coach and he has pretty much the same sells pitch, yes, you probably wouldn't have as many decommitments. But the contrast here is quite wide, so what do you expect?

I think once the dust settles, this class could end up being pretty decent, but what Callahan had put together up until the fall was a monster class.

If this monster class would be similar to his first monster class that just delivered a 5-7 season, I say good riddance. I want players who have the heart and soul to play for NEBRASKA, who sellout and leave it all on the field, and I don't care if they have 5 stars or no stars.

These soft 4 and 5 star primadonnas that Calllllllahan brought in here couldn't cut it.

We had the top ranked class 3 years ago according to ESPN.....HMMMMM...how'd that work out for us? Here's a few top recruits from that year....Justin Tomerlin, Franz Hardy, Leon Jackson, Chris Brooks, Harrison Beck, Zach Bowman. Bowman was good for 1 year. A few 3 stars and lower turned out OK...Zack Taylor, Matt Slauson (0 stars), Barry Cryer...

I'm not saying we don't need 4-5 star players, but if they don't want to play for N then we don't need them. Callahan could have stayed and Gabbert could have broken every record we had, and we still would have lost 3-5 games a year. I'm not interested in that.

It's not the class, it's the coach. That class of freshman are seniors now so they should be winning more than 5 games a year. We'll see how Bo does....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen brother - I have been saying that for 5 weeks since Bo was hired. I will take 25 3 star players and Bo as coach than 25 4 stars and Callahan and Cosgrove at the helm. Did you ever hear one player say that Callahan got them to be the best they could have been? Did Callahan ever have the type of sentiment that Bo's former players are saying about him? He might have been a good recruiter, but it makes me wonder what he was saying to all of his recruits when they jump ship as quickly as they have. He wasn't recruiting the program and being honest, he was filling their heads will all sorts of NFL dream lingo. We are 100 times better off now than we were 2 months ago.

Oh please, just because these recruits were still committed while BC was still here doesn't mean sh#t.

During his time here most kids finally woke up on signing day and committed elsewhere, he had more 5 star decommits than he ever had 5 star commits

This class will turn out fine.

People who continuously whine about our recruiting class irritate me. Yes, we lost some recruits, yes they were 4+ star recruits. BIG DEAL. Stars don't mean sh#t. How many of Osbornes recruiting classes were full of 3,4,5 star recruits? This class will be fine.

How many of Osbornes recruits even got rated at that time? I'm just saying the recruiting stars thing really didn't catch on and get big until the early 2000's...

I will agree that stars don't make a player come in and be good because of them, but it's a good way of evaluating what caliber of player to expect. Yeah theres exceptions like Carriker being so under rated or someone like Aqib Talib from KU who was a 2 star, but look how many of the best players in football were highly rated... like Tebow and McFadden who were both 5 stars.

This class will be fine though I agree with you there, Bo's getting guys he will use and develop in his system.

People who continuously whine about our recruiting class irritate me. Yes, we lost some recruits, yes they were 4+ star recruits. BIG DEAL. Stars don't mean sh#t. How many of Osbornes recruiting classes were full of 3,4,5 star recruits? This class will be fine.

How many of Osbornes recruits even got rated at that time? I'm just saying the recruiting stars thing really didn't catch on and get big until the early 2000's...

I will agree that stars don't make a player come in and be good because of them, but it's a good way of evaluating what caliber of player to expect. Yeah theres exceptions like Carriker being so under rated or someone like Aqib Talib from KU who was a 2 star, but look how many of the best players in football were highly rated... like Tebow and McFadden who were both 5 stars.

This class will be fine though I agree with you there, Bo's getting guys he will use and develop in his system.

like most things...the truth is in the middle. stars do mean something, but they clearly are not the end all truth either. is a 5 star always better than a 2 star? no. but most 5 stars are good players.

Don't kid yourself. Both Rivals and Scouts have stated in the past that if they were evaluating teams back in the day, the Nebraska's of old would of had some top 5 recruiting classes! I do agree with you about how some get too caught up in the "star hype" though. KU is a great example! Recruits can be taught to play well but having the heart to never quit is something they are born with!

The thing about this situation is, we may not need five star recruits any longer. Bo Pelini's defenses have played on emotion and raw passion for the game. In college that goes a long, long way. If Bo can take a three star and turn him into a five star with his coaching ability, we should be all right in the long run. Yes, it does suck to see the class in shambles after Clownahan rode off to the bank, but this is the nature of this transition. Our team sucked last year, plain and simple. The last link in the 5-star recruit's mind to this program was a smiling Clownahan who probably promised them the moon.

Frankly I'll be impressed if Bo manages to land us back in the top 25 when it's all over. He's got to prove himself next season before we can seriously begin courting the big prospects. And then we also have to consider, do we really want them? As far as I know Nebraska has always had a way of doing things in a blue collar fashion. We play fast, we play hard, and our teams give everything they got. I'll take that with 2 stars over the joke I saw last season with our 'highly-touted' top five class coming to maturity.

X

Don't kid yourself. Both Rivals and Scouts have stated in the past that if they were evaluating teams back in the day, the Nebraska's of old would of had some top 5 recruiting classes! I do agree with you about how some get too caught up in the "star hype" though. KU is a great example! Recruits can be taught to play well but having the heart to never quit is something they are born with!

if I could evaluate players after the fact.......

The thing about this situation is, we may not need five star recruits any longer. Bo Pelini's defenses have played on emotion and raw passion for the game. In college that goes a long, long way. If Bo can take a three star and turn him into a five star with his coaching ability, we should be all right in the long run. Yes, it does suck to see the class in shambles after Clownahan rode off to the bank, but this is the nature of this transition. Our team sucked last year, plain and simple. The last link in the 5-star recruit's mind to this program was a smiling Clownahan who probably promised them the moon.

Frankly I'll be impressed if Bo manages to land us back in the top 25 when it's all over. He's got to prove himself next season before we can seriously begin courting the big prospects. And then we also have to consider, do we really want them? As far as I know Nebraska has always had a way of doing things in a blue collar fashion. We play fast, we play hard, and our teams give everything they got. I'll take that with 2 stars over the joke I saw last season with our 'highly-touted' top five class coming to maturity.

X

There are some guys who are a blue-collar five-star (Steinkuler) who NU could go after. You mention turning three stars to five stars but what about five-stars into top 10 draft picks. Once again stars are not everything but they do need something and can be a key building block for a team