Biggest Rival?

Biggest Rival  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with OU being a big rival (I live in Oklahoma), but to be a really big rival i think you need to play every year like we do with Colorado. I just think that they are classless like when their drunk fans were throwing whisky bottles and everything on the field in Boulder in 05. Its very satisfying to watch us beat the crap out of them year in and year out. Also Dan Hawkins saying" Our worst days as a buffolo are better than the best days as a cornhusker." The guy is an idiot.

The same year our fans threw WATER bottles (not whiskey bottles, dude) your fans threw water bottles all over the field when you were losing to Oklahoma. And unless you missed it, we beat you 65-51 this year, and the series is tied 4-4 this decade, so unless your definition of "year in, year out" is "except for this decade," you're a little off. Of course, you used to beat the crap out of is year in year out, but that is the past. As in, the past you keep living in.

Congatulations! You guys beat the worst husker team to come through Lincoln in over 60 years!! That being said, Colorado is still sh#t!! As i said earlier, your proudest moments in football history are No.1- beating undefeated NEBRASKA in 2001 at folsom and No.2- winning a tainted national championship on FIVE downs! That to me sounds like tradition. no matter how much you dont want to think about it we will always be the measuring stick, and you guys will all come up short! Maybe we could take a page out of your recruiting tactics and try and salvage our class by offering them women to rape??? This aint intramurals brutha!!

If we beat you, we didn't come up short. The series is dead even this decade, so, again, if you're talking about the present and not the increasingly distant past, if we're sh#t, so are you. And considering that we played a boatload of freshmen and you guys we supposed to have "restored the order", I'm feeling pretty good about where CU is at. And really, our biggest win this year was against Oklahoma, and anytime you beat third-ranked Oklahoma starting two freshmen on the offensive line and another at qb, that's a good year.

And as for tainted national championships, are your national titles in 71-72 tainted by Johnny Rodgers holding up a gas station and Bob Devaney getting him out of jail? Are your titles in 94-95 tainted by Lawrence Phillips beating the crap out of his girlfriend in front of witnesses and only getting suspended from the spring game, or Christian Peter raping Miss Nebraska? Are you sure you want to go there? CU football isn't the only program that hasn't always been as clean as it should, to say the least. But please, be my guest, keep living in the past and imagining that any program that is passing you by must be cheating, or that its still 1983 and Turner Gill is pitching to Mike Rozier. I'm sure that will fix your program. Keep it up and we will have to start considering Kansas our big rival, and silly threads like this one will be superfluous.

If we beat you, we didn't come up short. The series is dead even this decade, so, again, if you're talking about the present and not the increasingly distant past, if we're sh#t, so are you. And considering that we played a boatload of freshmen and you guys we supposed to have "restored the order", I'm feeling pretty good about where CU is at. And really, our biggest win this year was against Oklahoma, and anytime you beat third-ranked Oklahoma starting two freshmen on the offensive line and another at qb, that's a good year.

Say...how did you guys do against Iowa State last year? Looked like your "boatload of freshmen" were cruising around the Big 12 in the Titanic and the iceberg was in Ames. Nebraska seemed to have avoided the humiliation of being beaten by the worst team in the Big 12 North...so, frankly, the only difference between CU and a tub of sh#t seems to be the tub.

I'm torn on this one. I came of age after the formation of the Big 12 (I was 12 when the conference was formed, and I don't remember the glory days of OU/NU). While I wish we were still playing Oklahoma every year, the fact of the matter is that unless we both win our divisions every year, it's going to be tough to keep that rivalry very heated. Plus, with OU there isn't the hatred there is with CU or Mizzou. With OU, there's a mutual respect because both programs are college football royalty.

With CU and Mizzou, you have start-up programs who have been pissed at us for kicking their ass for years, so I think there's a lot more anger. In addition to this, the poor behavior of their fans (not all of them, but you know what I mean) lends itself to wanting to beat them more. Plus, having them steal our recruits this year hasn't helped their standing.

For either CU or Mizzou though, they have to continue building a program so there'll be some tradition there, otherwise the rivalry won't develop. Nebraska doesn't have rivals who suck, because a rivalry is supposed to be competitive. Obviously this year doesn't help my argument considering NU got their ass kicked, but my point is that this will always be a bigger game to CU or MU then it will to us. They have to keep winning to make it a rivalry.

With OU, you can't beat tradition and history. And I think with Bo, we'll get to that point again where we are regularly facing these guys with high stakes, which is why they are my choice for biggest rival.

Say...how did you guys do against Iowa State last year? Looked like your "boatload of freshmen" were cruising around the Big 12 in the Titanic and the iceberg was in Ames. Nebraska seemed to have avoided the humiliation of being beaten by the worst team in the Big 12 North...so, frankly, the only difference between CU and a tub of sh#t seems to be the tub.

You're right Cy, we did lose to ISU in ames. We deserved to lose that one. We also beat the conference champs Oklahoma on national tv, so I'll have to be content with that for this year. When was the last time ISU beat OU? And since you admit that ISU was the worst team in the north this year(quite an accomplishment), maybe you could tone down the trash talk a touch?

Of course, it doesn't really matter who we consider our rivals, right now it matters who ABC considers our rivals; if both Nebraska and CU don't get their sh#t together it'll be Missouri and Kansas playing the day after thanksgiving, which won't be good for either of our programs.

You're right Cy, we did lose to ISU in ames. We deserved to lose that one. We also beat the conference champs Oklahoma on national tv, so I'll have to be content with that for this year. When was the last time ISU beat OU? And since you admit that ISU was the worst team in the north this year(quite an accomplishment), maybe you could tone down the trash talk a touch?

Of course, it doesn't really matter who we consider our rivals, right now it matters who ABC considers our rivals; if both Nebraska and CU don't get their sh#t together it'll be Missouri and Kansas playing the day after thanksgiving, which won't be good for either of our programs.

:yeah

Good point. I don't wanna be subjected to Mizzou/KU games for the forseeable future, let's hope that NU gets it turned around and that CU kicks ass until the last game of the season.

I went with Mizzou, and here's why:

Even though I'm only 20 and most of my experience w/ Nebraska football has been Big 12 football and not Big 8, I have a great respect for the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry. Truth be told, it is my favorite one. Every Sooner fan I've talked to has been really cool about it, and although they might not have like Nebraska, they respected us. Nebraska-Oklahoma was the epitome of what a rivalry should be. The main word there, though, is WAS.

Not playing OU every year has taken alot of the luster out of the rivalry, as has the emergence of Texas as a power in the South. The Nebraska-Oklahoma games simply don't have the meaning that they used to, when the Oklahoma-Nebraska was often two very highly ranked teams meeting for a knock-down, drag out game.

Mizzou, on the other hand, has emerged as more of a personal rival for me. Every experience I have had with Mizzou fans has been terrible. I was talking to a group of them when I was at work, and as soon as I brought the fact I was a Nebraska fan, they stopped talking to me period (the exact opposite of my experience with OU fans). Mizzou has also been one team that seems to always play us hard, no matter how bad their record might be at the time.

I guess OU-NU of old is what I think a rivalry should be, and NU-MU is just more of a "I really don't like you, I want to take you behind the woodshed" kind of rivalry.

Just take a look at the records and see who is actually the biggest rival:

From 1970 Season to Present...and I'm only counting the original Big 8 schools...not those pretenders from down south....

Nebraska

vs Missouri: 31W 7L 0T

vs Kansas: 37W 2L 1T

vs OK State: 30W 3L 0T

vs Colorado: 31W 7L 1T

vs Iowa State: 33W 5L 1T

vs Kansas State: 32W 5L 0T

vs Oklahoma: 15W 18L 0T

Looks like OU is the only school that have consistenly been able to give NU a ballgame and are the natural rivalry. But, since the Big 12 has f*cked all that up, it appears there are no rivalries left...just total domination.

I went with Mizzou, and here's why:

Even though I'm only 20 and most of my experience w/ Nebraska football has been Big 12 football and not Big 8, I have a great respect for the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry. Truth be told, it is my favorite one. Every Sooner fan I've talked to has been really cool about it, and although they might not have like Nebraska, they respected us. Nebraska-Oklahoma was the epitome of what a rivalry should be. The main word there, though, is WAS.

Not playing OU every year has taken alot of the luster out of the rivalry, as has the emergence of Texas as a power in the South. The Nebraska-Oklahoma games simply don't have the meaning that they used to, when the Oklahoma-Nebraska was often two very highly ranked teams meeting for a knock-down, drag out game.

Mizzou, on the other hand, has emerged as more of a personal rival for me. Every experience I have had with Mizzou fans has been terrible. I was talking to a group of them when I was at work, and as soon as I brought the fact I was a Nebraska fan, they stopped talking to me period (the exact opposite of my experience with OU fans). Mizzou has also been one team that seems to always play us hard, no matter how bad their record might be at the time.

I guess OU-NU of old is what I think a rivalry should be, and NU-MU is just more of a "I really don't like you, I want to take you behind the woodshed" kind of rivalry.

:yeah

Well put. I really, really, REALLY dislike Missouri. The way they have acted this year has put it over the top for me, its like your little brother who has been the whipping boy forever finally beats you in basketball, then never shuts up about it. Sure, he might have had a few good games against you, but he knows in his heart of hearts that he'll never be as good as you. And that's what I see Mizzou as. A mild irritant, a whiny little sibling. And for that, I cant stand them. (This in no way takes away from their great season they had this year, which I compliment them on. But still, let's talk after an extended run of success, not one season.)