So...What Offense WILL We Run???

This question was asked at least a few times on the Big Red Wrap Up a few weeks ago. You can see what Watson said here.

What I took from it was that it would be similar in terminology, but streamlined a bit. Also, of course, with a few new wrinkles. Any offense will have a few new ones year to year.

A few wrinkles like being able to run the ball on 3rd and 1 or when in 5 yards of the goal line?

I blame this on lack of Strength & Conditioning, hopefully we have taken the steps to take care of this eventually, but I doubt it will be what it was in the glory days for a while.

With Watson, you know he will run his own version of the WCO. With that base offense will be the power running game,as many people have already posted. As far as a few wrinkles, I would expect a little spread/option mixed in. As you remember, B.C. mixed in some college-style spread in the first half against CU.

Guys, in all reality, isn't the WCO really a spread offense in itself? Isn't it's purpose is to spread the defense? Couldn't you call it a pro-style spread? Anyone?

I would like to see them run a variation of the spread that Illinois and Oregon ran last year. Seemed like both teams could really mix it up with options, runs between the tackles and with multiple-receiver sets. I guess it would depend on whether or not Ganz is as mobile as you all say and whether we actually have a runner who can run inside the tackles but that offense did a real good job when it came to screwing up USC (against Oregon) along with Ohio State and Missouri (Illinois) defenses. Usually I wouldn't credit the Big or Pac 10 with anything but that offense...when hitting on all cylinders...was fun to watch.

I think it's safe to say it won't change a whole lot. One big reason Watson was kept was for continuity. Considering that it'd be pretty dumb to make wholesale changes.

I think the most significant change we can look for is in the offensive line and what it allows us to do in the running game. Just once this season I'd like to see a tackle break into the secondary and allow for a big run. Whatever we see on the field this fall will be based upon what we CAN do, as opposed to the Callahan philosophy of what we WISH we could do.

Our running game suffered last year, especially at key moments. Those pass plays on 3rd and 1 (or the stretch on 4th and 1) have got to go. I hope Cotton is up to the task, although I have some reservations about him considering his recruiting so far and his previous experience at Nebraska and ISU.

Oh well, I suppose he's family.

I think it's safe to say it won't change a whole lot. One big reason Watson was kept was for continuity. Considering that it'd be pretty dumb to make wholesale changes.

I think the most significant change we can look for is in the offensive line and what it allows us to do in the running game. Just once this season I'd like to see a tackle break into the secondary and allow for a big run. Whatever we see on the field this fall will be based upon what we CAN do, as opposed to the Callahan philosophy of what we WISH we could do.

Our running game suffered last year, especially at key moments. Those pass plays on 3rd and 1 (or the stretch on 4th and 1) have got to go. I hope Cotton is up to the task, although I have some reservations about him considering his recruiting so far and his previous experience at Nebraska and ISU.

Courtesy: Iowa State University

Release: 07/16/2006

Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney sold Barney Cotton on

becoming his offensive coordinator and offensive line coach

in January of 2004. The steady improvement of a young

Cyclone offensive unit that averaged 29 points per

conference game last season has sold Iowa State on Barney

Cotton. The Cyclones’ 339 points last season rank

third in school history. For the first time in the 114-year

history of Iowa State football, the Cyclones scored 37 or

more points against three straight conference foes. The most

impressive feature of Cotton’s 2005 unit was what it

accomplished with only one senior starter.

And you got yourself a potentially great TE recruit in the deal...even if it was his own kid...I think Cotton is up to the job, especially considering the young players that are going to have to play a big role for the Huskers this year.

I imagine the offense will be pretty similar to OU's style of offense. It'll still fall under the umbrella of a WCO, but the primary focus will be a power running game. If my memory is accurate, that's pretty much how Watson ran things over at Colorado. I don't think the option will be a primary part of the attack, and I'd be surprised if NU ever goes to a spread option attack while Watson is still here.

I think our personnel and the Nebraska mentality of hard nosed power football would mesh well with that style of offense.

i quite agree with this post and i suspect Pelini and Watson want to move more anyway from the finesse bullsh#t cally mentored and get back to at least some smashmouth football, trap plays, you know, old stuff where we used to break off 20-30 yard runs, with good down field blocking! then follow up with a mix of play action passing.

Oh and Ar Husker Fan everytime I see your avatar picture I think to myself.......I bet he looks just like John Lennon in real life.

Shhhh, don't blow his cover. That whole getting shot thing was so he could dump Yoko, move out of New York and have a normal life. It's sad though that instead of making it all the way to Nebraska, he got lost and hung up in Arkansas. ;)