So...What Offense WILL We Run???

This isn't a question so much for this year, but...

Bo stated he wanted to run a spread option prior to being hired. As a defensive-minded coach, he has to believe that one way to "protect" a defense is with a strong running game. But all statements subsequent to Bo's hire is that we'll merely "tweak" the current offense.

What's it going to be? Are we going to go with a tweaked version of the West Coast offense? Are we going spread option? Either way, I would assume that the base of the offense will be a power running game.

Is next year going to be a kind of transition from a West Coast offense to the spread option? Are the quarterbacks that are being recruited better suited to one style or the other?

Just curious, more than anything, and thought I'd throw this out there to get the opinions of everyone...

So far what I've gathered is we're going to use a lot more I-formation. I suspect Castille will fill in at fullback, maybe with Glenn behind him, and we'll see Lucky as our primary running back. Who knows, with Ganz at the helm we might see some option along the way. That, and if I remember correctly, Bo wants to use more two-back shotgun sets as well.

It'll be interesting to see what develops. Some of it might depend on what our young receiving corps can handle in the spring and fall camp.

X

Remember when Tom Osborne was named Interim Athletic Director and he mentioned on how he watch other colleges and how they were running different types of offenses. If I remember correctly he did bring up Florida's offense and how they run the spread. So far everything that Tom Osborne has mentioned in interviews or certain questions about anything he has had his word on everything like he has in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if we run an offense similar to Florida's.....but then again who knows.

Oh and Ar Husker Fan everytime I see your avatar picture I think to myself.......I bet he looks just like John Lennon in real life.

I like the idea of the "gound and pound", running the ball to soften up the D, then start throwing the ball, once you've worn them out...

I know that's not always going to work, but it sounds good to me...

I'm not a fan of the WC offense, and i'm not really sold on the Spread either, I guess I hope we run the ball more than in previous campaigns...

Remember when Tom Osborne was named Interim Athletic Director and he mentioned on how he watch other colleges and how they were running different types of offenses. If I remember correctly he did bring up Florida's offense and how they run the spread. So far everything that Tom Osborne has mentioned in interviews or certain questions about anything he has had his word on everything like he has in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if we run an offense similar to Florida's.....but then again who knows.

Oh and Ar Husker Fan everytime I see your avatar picture I think to myself.......I bet he looks just like John Lennon in real life.

i think the WCO is fine as long as we run more.

So far what I've gathered is we're going to use a lot more I-formation. I suspect Castille will fill in at fullback, maybe with Glenn behind him, and we'll see Lucky as our primary running back. Who knows, with Ganz at the helm we might see some option along the way. That, and if I remember correctly, Bo wants to use more two-back shotgun sets as well.

It'll be interesting to see what develops. Some of it might depend on what our young receiving corps can handle in the spring and fall camp.

X

If you would've said we would be lining Kevin Thomsen up at FB, you would've been closer. That guy is an absolute monster and will likely be put on full display this year.

Hmm...

you've got four years of learning/working with the Cally version of the WCO. Most of the current offensive players know it well.

Everyone got to see what a QB who has been in the "system" for years, and knows the system, could do.

I hope Watson is smart enough to leave it alone, just mix up the play calling a little more.

fix the D. Leave the offense alone.

With the ganzinator running the WCO...

it works.

real good.

if it ain't broke....

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!

This question was asked at least a few times on the Big Red Wrap Up a few weeks ago. You can see what Watson said here.

What I took from it was that it would be similar in terminology, but streamlined a bit. Also, of course, with a few new wrinkles. Any offense will have a few new ones year to year.

IMO we will be running kind of a spread WCO with quick passes and more formations that support the run using a fullback. If we could get the TE's open in the middle on quick slant passes it would keep the linebackers from creeping up all the time when they know we are in obvious run situations. We could also throw in some more option type runs. Then we would also still have to mid to deep threat to keep the corners occupied. I think Ganz has the talent and the mobility to make this work.

This is my pure speculation, I claim not to know anything more than anyone else...just my opinion of how to make the run game more affective.

This question was asked at least a few times on the Big Red Wrap Up a few weeks ago. You can see what Watson said here.

What I took from it was that it would be similar in terminology, but streamlined a bit. Also, of course, with a few new wrinkles. Any offense will have a few new ones year to year.

A few wrinkles like being able to run the ball on 3rd and 1 or when in 5 yards of the goal line?