Recruits that got away

Lincoln Journal Star

Imagine if you will Emmitt Smith wearing a Nebraska football uniform.

Yeah, that may have been worth checking out. Smith of course ended up at the University of Florida before a Hall-of-Fame NFL career.

As the story goes, Smith was one of those big fish that got away from the Huskers in the final hours before national signing day.

Dave Gillespie, who spent several years on the Nebraska staff, was on the phone with someone at Smith's press conference to reveal his decision. It was down to three schools. Nebraska was one of them.

Always one for a show, Smith was supposedly planning to draw a school out of a hat.

"My guess would have been that every sheet of paper in there said Florida," Gillespie said.

There have been a few players like Smith who got away from Nebraska over the years. Last year, highly-touted San Antonio high school linebacker Travis Lewis decommitted two days before signing day in favor of Oklahoma.

David Ross, a California cornerback with some of those recruiting stars by his name, had Nebraska thinking he was headed here until he changed his mind the morning of signing day, and inked with Oregon State instead.

Now a linebacker with the Detroit Lions, Buster Davis was undecided in the final days. Davis said he wished he could attend both Nebraska and Florida State. He went with Florida State.

And few folks can forget the circus when hot-shot quarterback Carlyle Holiday kept Husker fans on the edge of their seats before turning down Big Red in the final hour for … Notre Dame.

Josh Freeman was a late loss before the early-signing period, and there have been others that had recruiting fans crying on their keyboard.

Of course there have been a few big gets in those final days, too. Does Tommie Frazier ring a bell? Frazier visited NU on the final recruiting weekend and his decision was down to the last day. That turned out O.K.

Days like today always brought some nervous feelings around the football offices, Gillespie said. Coaches weren't allowed to be on the road, so they were left waiting for letters-of-intent to arrive.

"Everybody kind of knew the sound of the fax machine when it started," Gillespie said. "Everybody hears that and their ears might perk up and they might run over to the fax machine and see what was coming through. If it wasn't a letter-of-intent, there might be some words that you wouldn't want to hear, and they'd go back to doing what they're doing."

There were always one or two committed players you worried about, but most were slam dunks, Gillespie said.

"(But) until you have that fax there is always some question," he said.

The last-minute surprises of signing day have probably diminished over the years. Players begin committing — and decommitting — earlier these days. Factor in how public recruiting has become, and there don't seem to be many secrets anymore.

With this year's Nebraska recruiting class, little drama is expected today. Anybody see Baker Steinkuhler going somewhere else? Could you suddenly tell Bo Pelini and Tom Osborne thanks, but no thanks?

Of course, there's never any guarantees in recruiting. Just go back to last year at Dominguez High in Compton, Calif.

Ross, the star cornerback, had filled out the paperwork for Nebraska the evening before signing day. He was supposed to meet Coach Keith Donerson at 8 a.m. to fax it to Lincoln.

"He showed up at 10 o'clock wearing an Oregon State sweatshirt, and then we knew he already signed and sent his fax into Oregon State," Donerson said.

It seems Ross, who redshirted last season but should see action this year, liked to make college coaches happy. He was in Lincoln for the Nebraska-Texas game, loved it and soon committed. Trips to Oregon State and Arizona State followed, with Ross committing to those schools also.

Ross and his coach had a lengthy life-lesson talk after the signing day dust had settled.

"They're still 17- or 18-year-old kids, and it's hard to say no to some people," Donerson said.

It goes both ways, though. One of Donerson's players this season committed to Utah. This week they inquired about the player's paperwork, and were informed the spot was no longer available.

Regardless, Dominguez High will send at least five players to Division I schools this season. After Ross' last-minute decommitment last season, Bill Callahan called to say Nebraska would no longer be recruiting Dominguez players.

It wasn't long ago Donerson heard from Nebraska again. Pelini was on the line.

"He said, 'Don't worry about it, Nebraska is still going to keep recruiting Dominguez.'"

one player i wish we would have gotten is Barry Sander... although i think it was more about us turning him down...i guess we were looking at a player on his team and his coach(sander's coach) said we should really check out this kid(sander)...i guess our coach wasn't interested or they told him we didn't have a spott for him or something like that...i think sander would have sign with us if we had shown any interest in him

one player i wish we would have gotten is Barry Sander... although i think it was more about us turning him down...i guess we were looking at a player on his team and his coach(sander's coach) said we should really check out this kid(sander)...i guess our coach wasn't interested or they told him we didn't have a spott for him or something like that...i think sander would have sign with us if we had shown any interest in him

I assume you are talking about Barry Sanders, with an "s" on the end. Yeah, that would have been a nice steal! I heard even the Jayhawks passed on him.

About the article posted: Why would Callahan quit recruiting an entire high school after one kid changes his mind? It said that this year alone they have five, yes five, DI recruits. That doesn't make any sense to label all the kids from that high school because of one athlete.

I assume you are talking about Barry Sanders, with an "s" on the end. Yeah, that would have been a nice steal! I heard even the Jayhawks passed on him.

About the article posted: Why would Callahan quit recruiting an entire high school after one kid changes his mind? It said that this year alone they have five, yes five, DI recruits. That doesn't make any sense to label all the kids from that high school because of one athlete.

Simple....BC is a complete moron!!!!!!

One thing I won't say bad about BC was his recruiting ability! Anyone who denies the talent that he brought to Nebraska is truly the "moron"!

One thing I won't say bad about BC was his recruiting ability! Anyone who denies the talent that he brought to Nebraska is truly the "moron"!

All that "talent" yet 2 losing seasons in 4 years?

Anybody that beleives what Rivals or Scouts say's is the "moron"

While I am not a fan of BC, I agree that his ability to recruit was incredible. He did it at Wisconsin, teams that won a few Rose Bowls, and he did it here. The only proof you will need is to see what they do the next 2 years under a really good coach who knows how to teach and develop.

Ok show me the great talent on Nebraska team for a class that had a top 5 rated class I see no Ahman Green, Trev Alberts, Grant Wistrom, I have yet to see any All Americans and see none in the future. That either tells you that his recruits were overated by his being such good friends with a certain service or these kids weren't coached to their potential.

The one guy I heard Nebraska lost out on was McNabb and that was because of Danny Nee not showing up at a meeting since McNabb wanted to play Basketball to.

Ok show me the great talent on Nebraska team for a class that had a top 5 rated class I see no Ahman Green, Trev Alberts, Grant Wistrom, I have yet to see any All Americans and see none in the future. That either tells you that his recruits were overated by his being such good friends with a certain service or these kids weren't coached to their potential.

The one guy I heard Nebraska lost out on was McNabb and that was because of Danny Nee not showing up at a meeting since McNabb wanted to play Basketball to.

I am not going to list every kids attributes that was recruited while BC was here. It's a no brainer that these kids were not coached or better yet "pushed" properly.

I am not going to list every kids attributes that was recruited while BC was here. It's a no brainer that these kids were not coaches or better yet "pushed" properly.

Give one at least and try not to pick a JC kid.

I am not going to list every kids attributes that was recruited while BC was here. It's a no brainer that these kids were not coached or better yet "pushed" properly.

Give one at least and try not to pick a JC kid.

4 star recruit Phillip Dillard LB out of Jenks OK. Recruited by OU, Fla, OSU, KSU, and TAMU. This kid coming out of HS was considered one of the best LB's in the state of OK. Recruited very hard by Stoops and his brother. The 5th best OLB in the nation according to Rivals. This kid just oozes with potential. Grant it he had a nagging knee injury but this year Dillard will explode under Coach Pelini. Others who will come out blazing are Suh a 4 start DT who rivals quoted as saying "Suh was one of the most highly sought-after linemen on the West Coast" and Turner (who shocked Phil Fulmer and came to Nebraska). Turner for instance had a great first year but as the years went on he was just an "oridinary DL". I think Coz had a lot to do with this. These are just a few studs you will see come out strong this year under the guidence of Coach Bo and his staff. You can't tell me that of these three recuits they are all "overrated" as you put it. Seems to me coaching has a lot to do with it here! I am not going to get into a pissing contest with any member on the board about recruiting and a kids talent. All I know is there is a ton of well recruited talent on this team and I truly believe that our coaching staff will prove that.

4 star recruit Phillip Dillard LB out of Jenks OK. Recruited by OU, Fla, OSU, KSU, and TAMU. This kid coming out of HS was considered one of the best LB's in the state of OK. Recruited very hard by Stoops and his brother. The 5th best OLB in the nation according to Rivals. This kid just oozes with potential. Grant it he had a nagging knee injury but this year Dillard will explode under Coach Pelini. Others who will come out blazing are Suh a 4 start DT who rivals quoted as saying "Suh was one of the most highly sought-after linemen on the West Coast" and Turner (who shocked Phil Fulmer and came to Nebraska). Turner for instance had a great first year but as the years went on he was just an "oridinary DL". I think Coz had a lot to do with this. These are just a few studs you will see come out strong this year under the guidence of Coach Bo and his staff. You can't tell me that of these three recuits they are all "overrated" as you put it. Seems to me coaching has a lot to do with it here! I am not going to get into a pissing contest with any member on the board about recruiting and a kids talent. All I know is there is a ton of well recruited talent on this team and I truly believe that our coaching staff will prove that.

:yeah

I think one of the reasons BC went after higher profile players is because, as he said, they didn't like to devolop players. So get the best you can so you don't have to coach them. If you noticed, the better players these past few years came from Solich's teams. Look what happened when our D-line all graduated. I'll agree that the offensive side of the ball usually did well, but those skill positions can usually rely on natural talent (except at QB, but when did BC devolop a QB, Taylor was JC and Keller a transfer)