Big 12 Rankings

Listening to Mack Brown now and he did acknowledge that his recruiting class is one of his best character classes.

I like Mack and that's exactly what they needed down there. I wouldn't want 5 star criminal athletes on my team either if I was the coach. Character first, academics second, athletic ability third!

I don't think Scout, Rivals or ESPN matter. It all has to do with what the coach see's and what he thinks he can get out of the kid. I think these web sites have taken a lot away from what the word "TEAM" means. These kid's show up on campus and already think it's all about them cause they got 5 stars from a web site that charges people to view it. Sorry but your opinion isn't worth the spare change in my pocket. Do you ever notice that these guy's don't follow the career's of these kid's. When ever they do an interview they always make a point to say that they don't have the resources to keep up with what the kid's do. No, they have the resources, they just don't want to. Most of the time their 5 stars turn out to be nothings.

The fact that NU is ranked 8th means nothing, we will see who is ranked 8th at the end of the season. :woo

Listening to Mack Brown now and he did acknowledge that his recruiting class is one of his best character classes.

I like Mack and that's exactly what they needed down there. I wouldn't want 5 star criminal athletes on my team either if I was the coach. Character first, academics second, athletic ability third!

I hope you weren't one of the many calling for Frank Solich's head then 5 years ago.

I don't think Scout, Rivals or ESPN matter. It all has to do with what the coach see's and what he thinks he can get out of the kid. I think these web sites have taken a lot away from what the word "TEAM" means. These kid's show up on campus and already think it's all about them cause they got 5 stars from a web site that charges people to view it. Sorry but your opinion isn't worth the spare change in my pocket. Do you ever notice that these guy's don't follow the career's of these kid's. When ever they do an interview they always make a point to say that they don't have the resources to keep up with what the kid's do. No, they have the resources, they just don't want to. Most of the time their 5 stars turn out to be nothings.

The fact that NU is ranked 8th means nothing, we will see who is ranked 8th at the end of the season. :woo

The Clemson Coach was on ESPN radio the other day and stated that the class he had one year was rated in the 30's and one reporter went back and rerated classes for that year. If you went by the class progress and what they did that class would have been rated 7 in the nation according to him.

I hope you weren't one of the many calling for Frank Solich's head then 5 years ago.

No, I wasn't. Doesn't mean that I still want him here right now though. <_<

No, I wasn't. Doesn't mean that I still want him here right now though. <_<

I would tend to agree with you there

Big 12 had some good classes, but most surprisingly CU is wrapping up a pretty impressive class headlined by the nations #1 RB

1 Oklahoma 21 3 12 5 3.81 2,422

2 Texas 20 0 12 7 3.55 1,919

3 Colorado 20 1 7 9 3.30 1,524

4 Texas A&M 25 0 7 15 3.16 1,522

5 Missouri 23 1 2 16 3.00 1,214

6 Oklahoma State 27 0 6 16 3.04 1,211

7 Kansas State 33 0 4 22 2.91 1,194

8 Nebraska 27 1 2 20 3.00 1,159

9 Kansas 20 0 2 18 3.10 899

10 Texas Tech 15 0 3 10 3.07 700

11 Baylor 21 0 1 8 2.48 453

12 Iowa State 23 0 1 6 2.35 281

#8 defiantly won't cut it in years to come I don't think, but for a new somewhat unproven staff coming into this situation I think we did a great job, and some of the 2* walk ons and stuff like that doesn't show in the rankings I think looks great

Well all these rankings are pretty close to meaningless --- or, at least that is our hope. If they are accurate, then this means that NU is ranked, in terms of average star ranking, above only three teams in the conference and have actually fallen further behind Missouri, Kansas and Colorado in the North. This I hope is not the case and I think is not the case (but cannot really know). Only time will tell.

I will say that the players were were all excited about this year were not the type of players (at least in terms of national stature) that excited us during the Callahan years. In those classes anyone not in the "top25" nationally at their positions we were not so excited about. This year guys ranked below 100 or even 200 at their positions thrilled us. I wonder if it is that we are just dying to be thrilled because we need to --- irrespective of the quality of the player --- or whether the ratings are that meaningless. Lets hope that we are not thrilled with this recruiting class because we need something to be thrilled about and last season we could hardly do that with the team we fielded.

Again, only time will tell.

Well all these rankings are pretty close to meaningless --- or, at least that is our hope. If they are accurate, then this means that NU is ranked, in terms of average star ranking, above only three teams in the conference and have actually fallen further behind Missouri, Kansas and Colorado in the North. This I hope is not the case and I think is not the case (but cannot really know). Only time will tell.

I will say that the players were were all excited about this year were not the type of players (at least in terms of national stature) that excited us during the Callahan years. In those classes anyone not in the "top25" nationally at their positions we were not so excited about. This year guys ranked below 100 or even 200 at their positions thrilled us. I wonder if it is that we are just dying to be thrilled because we need to --- irrespective of the quality of the player --- or whether the ratings are that meaningless. Lets hope that we are not thrilled with this recruiting class because we need something to be thrilled about and last season we could hardly do that with the team we fielded.

I was also thinking the same thing. We were ecstatic when several low ranked recruits committed. I think this is more a factor of our faith in the coaching staff than anything else. We all had the attitude of "if Bo likes him, then so do I."

I think this is a much more positive attitude to have regarding recruiting than the "bling-bling" obsession we had with stars last year.

I was also thinking the same thing. We were ecstatic when several low ranked recruits committed. I think this is more a factor of our faith in the coaching staff than anything else. We all had the attitude of "if Bo likes him, then so do I."

I think this is a much more positive attitude to have regarding recruiting than the "bling-bling" obsession we had with stars last year.

I agree. It is a better perspective, more positive --- andI hope, tethered in some way to reality --- that is, i hope these guys are good despite their low rankings.

I think we need to put this in perspective a little bit. This ranking is one dimension of measurement (the Scout, Inc. criteria) for one class of recruits. When it all washes out the differences between the number 1 team and number 8 team may very well be eliminated by other factors (character, coaching, chemistry, etc.)

I think we need to put this in perspective a little bit. This ranking is one dimension of measurement (the Scout, Inc. criteria) for one class of recruits. When it all washes out the differences between the number 1 team and number 8 team may very well be eliminated by other factors (character, coaching, chemistry, etc.)

That is indeed the hope!