Memorable Missed Recruits

LJS

Imagine if you will Emmitt Smith wearing a Nebraska football uniform.

Yeah, that may have been worth checking out. Smith of course ended up at the University of Florida before a Hall-of-Fame NFL career.

As the story goes, Smith was one of those big fish that got away from the Huskers in the final hours before national signing day.

Dave Gillespie, who spent several years on the Nebraska staff, was on the phone with someone at Smith’s press conference to reveal his decision. It was down to three schools. Nebraska was one of them.

Always one for a show, Smith was supposedly planning to draw a school out of a hat.

“My guess would have been that every sheet of paper in there said Florida,” Gillespie said.

There have been a few players like Smith who got away from Nebraska over the years. Last year, highly-touted San Antonio high school linebacker Travis Lewis decommitted two days before signing day in favor of Oklahoma.

David Ross, a California cornerback with some of those recruiting stars by his name, had Nebraska thinking he was headed here until he changed his mind the morning of signing day, and inked with Oregon State instead.

Now a linebacker with the Detroit Lions, Buster Davis was undecided in the final days. Davis said he wished he could attend both Nebraska and Florida State. He went with Florida State.

And few folks can forget the circus when hot-shot quarterback Carlyle Holiday kept Husker fans on the edge of their seats before turning down Big Red in the final hour for … Notre Dame.

Josh Freeman was a late loss before the early-signing period, and there have been others that had recruiting fans crying on their keyboard.

Of course there have been a few big gets in those final days, too. Does Tommie Frazier ring a bell? Frazier visited NU on the final recruiting weekend and his decision was down to the last day. That turned out O.K.

Days like today always brought some nervous feelings around the football offices, Gillespie said. Coaches weren’t allowed to be on the road, so they were left waiting for letters-of-intent to arrive.

“Everybody kind of knew the sound of the fax machine when it started,” Gillespie said. “Everybody hears that and their ears might perk up and they might run over to the fax machine and see what was coming through. If it wasn’t a letter-of-intent, there might be some words that you wouldn’t want to hear, and they’d go back to doing what they’re doing.”

There were always one or two committed players you worried about, but most were slam dunks, Gillespie said.

“(But) until you have that fax there is always some question,” he said.

The last-minute surprises of signing day have probably diminished over the years. Players begin committing — and decommitting — earlier these days. Factor in how public recruiting has become, and there don’t seem to be many secrets anymore.

With this year’s Nebraska recruiting class, little drama is expected today. Anybody see Baker Steinkuhler going somewhere else? Could you suddenly tell Bo Pelini and Tom Osborne thanks, but no thanks?

Of course, there’s never any guarantees in recruiting. Just go back to last year at Dominguez High in Compton, Calif.

Ross, the star cornerback, had filled out the paperwork for Nebraska the evening before signing day. He was supposed to meet Coach Keith Donerson at 8 a.m. to fax it to Lincoln.

“He showed up at 10 o’clock wearing an Oregon State sweatshirt, and then we knew he already signed and sent his fax into Oregon State,” Donerson said.

It seems Ross, who redshirted last season but should see action this year, liked to make college coaches happy. He was in Lincoln for the Nebraska-Texas game, loved it and soon committed. Trips to Oregon State and Arizona State followed, with Ross committing to those schools also.

Ross and his coach had a lengthy life-lesson talk after the signing day dust had settled.

“They’re still 17- or 18-year-old kids, and it’s hard to say no to some people,” Donerson said.

It goes both ways, though. One of Donerson’s players this season committed to Utah. This week they inquired about the player’s paperwork, and were informed the spot was no longer available.

Regardless, Dominguez High will send at least five players to Division I schools this season. After Ross’ last-minute decommitment last season, Bill Callahan called to say Nebraska would no longer be recruiting Dominguez players.

It wasn’t long ago Donerson heard from Nebraska again. Pelini was on the line.

“He said, ‘Don’t worry about it, Nebraska is still going to keep recruiting Dominguez.’”

I'm glad Pelini is on the way to cleaning up the messes BC left.

Marshall Faulk

I believe I read something, probably posted on this site, saying that he wanted to come to NU but Tommy O was recruiting him as a CB. That's probably the only time we ever lost a guy we wanted to San Diego St.

Haloti Ngata

#2 overall player in the class of 2002, pulled a Kuli by committing to, and subsequently decommitting from, NU and then BYU to sign with Oregon. Saw an ESPN feature on him before he was drafted in the 1st round saying that he wanted to come to Nebraska but his parents made him de-commit because apparently Lincoln is too far away from Utah.

Reggie Smith

5-star safety (#2 safety overall) Would have been, along with Lucky, the crown jewel of our 2005 recruiting class. Came down to signing day between Nebraska and Oklahoma, with early word that he wanted to sign with NU apparently trumped by pressure to sign with his in-state Sooners. Left school after this season and is a projected late 1st round/early 2nd round pick per www.nfldraftcounddown.com.

Rocky Hinds

Hasn't really amounted to too much, so I don't know if he counts quite the same as the others, but at the time (signing day 2004) losing him hurt. Four star quarterback with size (6'4, 215), speed (clocked at 4.47 in the 40, 10.47 in the 100), and a big arm chose USC over NU on signing day only to have the obvious happen and sit on the bench behind Matt Leinart, leading to a transfer to UNLV. I still think 2004 would have turned out better for Nebraska had this athlete been at least an option behind Dailey.

Allan Evridge

Bear with me on this one. Not a star by any stretch, but next year this quarterback from Papillon will be given the chance to start for his second major program (Wisconsin) after beginning his career at Kansas State following a de-commit to NU, a fact that I think holds some weight. Probably would not have worked out at all in Callahan's offense, but then again neither did poor Joe Dailey.

Ashlee Palmer

Four star Junior College safety from the class of 2006 who would've stepped in nicely for the departed Daniel Bullocks. Signed a Letter of Intent to NU at the early Junior College signing period, then faxed one to Washington in February. Apparently failed a class at his JC (Compton), which was on the quarter system, making it impossible for him to transfer to NU for spring practice like he had planned, as NU offers classes on a semester basis. The fact that Washington also is on the quarter system, coupled with his mother's liking for Ty Willingham, precipitated his commitment to the Huskies. Essentially, NU didn't know he de-committed until Washington announced that he had signed a Letter of Intent to play for them. Never actually played for Washington, and last year was the leading tackler for Ole Miss as a linebacker, with 89.

The biggest miss I think in the history of Nebraska football, was not offering Gale Sayers a Scholarship and asking him to walk on. Even the Great Bob D. made mistakes.

GBR!!!

That is no joke. Arguably, the 2 best players to ever come out of Omaha, went to other schools(Nile Kinnick and Gale Sayers).

The biggest miss I think in the history of Nebraska football, was not offering Gale Sayers a Scholarship and asking him to walk on. Even the Great Bob D. made mistakes.

GBR!!!

Gayle Sayers first year in college was 1961. Devaney did not come to NU until 1962. Sayers was offered by Nebraska but picked Kansas instead (NU was not a very good program at the time). One of the reasons he gave was that Kansas had a better track program. Sayers was recruited by NU head coach Bill Jennings and had he got him to commit to NU, maybe he would not have been fired and then there probably would not have been a Devaney and then later Osborne.. You never know. To bad Sayers was not a couple years younger, Devaney probably would of got him, just like he did Johnny R. who wanted to go to USC. NU was 3-0 in Sayers 3 games vs Nebraska when he was at KU, Kansas had won 5 straight vs the Huskers prior to that.

Other big misses - Barry Sanders, NU probably could have got him but already had a couple rbs in class and passed on him. Also tried to recruit Marshal Faulk as a db and he wanted to run the ball.

post-4426-1202577387.jpg

GBR!!!

Gayle Sayers first year in college was 1961. Devaney did not come to NU until 1962. Sayers was offered by Nebraska but picked Kansas instead (NU was not a very good program at the time). One of the reasons he gave was that Kansas had a better track program. Sayers was recruited by NU head coach Bill Jennings and had he got him to commit to NU, maybe he would not have been fired and then there probably would not have been a Devaney and then later Osborne.. You never know. To bad Sayers was not a couple years younger, Devaney probably would of got him, just like he did Johnny R. who wanted to go to USC. NU was 3-0 in Sayers 3 games vs Nebraska when he was at KU, Kansas had won 5 straight vs the Huskers prior to that.

Other big misses - Barry Sanders, NU probably could have got him but already had a couple rbs in class and passed on him. Also tried to recruit Marshal Faulk as a db and he wanted to run the ball.

post-4426-1202577387.jpg

One story I heard was thst Sayers had NOT made up his mind where to go.

Jennings heard that Sayers had committed to KU and told Sayers, "I hope you enjoy it at Kansas!". Sayers said that was when he made up his mind to go to Kansas.

:dunno

Sayers was the best I ever saw! He scared you every time he touched the ball, but he never beat Nebraska! :clap

He and his brother were also the best I ever played against

GBR!!!

post-4426-1202577387.jpg

Your right, I forgot that Freshman couldn't play and 62 was his first season on the field.

That makes Bob D. that much greater :lol:

GBR!!!

One story I heard was thst Sayers had NOT made up his mind where to go.

Jennings heard that Sayers had committed to KU and told Sayers, "I hope you enjoy it at Kansas!". Sayers said that was when he made up his mind to go to Kansas.

this would confirm the stories about jennings being an absolute tool if true.

Not to hijack the thread, but I didnt realize Jennings was that much of an ass. eesh

LJS

Regardless, Dominguez High will send at least five players to Division I schools this season. After Ross’ last-minute decommitment last season, Bill Callahan called to say Nebraska would no longer be recruiting Dominguez players.

It wasn’t long ago Donerson heard from Nebraska again. Pelini was on the line.

“He said, ‘Don’t worry about it, Nebraska is still going to keep recruiting Dominguez.’”

I'm glad Pelini is on the way to cleaning up the messes BC left.

Me too. One thing I hope Pelini is able to do is to continue to get his hands on good recruits in CA and top recruits in AZ. One thing Cally did do well was farm these two states. With as many Husker fans that there are in this region it would be nice to keep that pipeline flowing.

This list could get lengthy if people started to say the ones that hurt this year. For me though, I only started to become a Die-Hard Big Red Man until these two past season although a fan my whole life. So for me most of the ones that hurt would be this season list. Gabbert, Gray, Robinson, Hoch, and my top one from this year is Simi Kuli, but his attitude is why he didn't come here, under BC he was promised a starting position. When Bo had a convorsation with him about this promise Bo said that he would have to earn it, and if this kid didn't want to put forth the effort to EARN his position, then I geuss I will say thats the it was a blessing in disquise.