Walk on Program

I am really glad to see that Pelini is taking the walk on program seriously. Actually it is being taken more seriously now than I had hoped it would. Hopefully there will be an new energy in the football program, with having people that have dreamed of being a Husker, no matter what it took to be one, even if it meant that they had to actually pay for their own education.

I applaud all the walk ons that have committed to Nebraska, and firmly believe that you will be given as good a shot to make the starting line up as the scholarship players. Good luck, I personally will be cheering on the underdogs of this year, hoping to see the intensity brought back to Nebraska football, and if it is, it will be because of the desire and the passion of people like those that walk on.

:clap:restore:clap

Having the walk on program in Nebraska is a must. Imagine the mind set it gives the scholarship players. You have a young man who wants to be a Cornhusker so much he'll take on the responsibility of paying his own way. There is going to be a lot of determination in the football team this year.

Who was it that said in years past that young men who come to Nebraska don't walk on, "They crawl there". ?

I'm a little unsure and hopefully if it's a dumb question you don't mind... but if they want to, can they still offer players to walk on even though signing day is over?

My understanding is that they just couldn't officially sign until yesterday. There are still some of the walk ons that have not signed that have committed to coming to Nebraska, they are just being delayed by the paperwork.

If my math serves me right, with the 27 scholarship players signed, then the 30 walk ons, that will be 57 total players coming in this year. I would say that means there will be at least 130 players on the roster in that case. I also saw an article today that Bo says he cold envision up to 150 players on the roster again in the future.

I really believe that these walk ons are the key to having success in our football program. If they were not there, there would be nobody to push the scholarship players. Last year more than proved that point. These kids need to know that if they don't want to step up, there will be someone to step up in their place. Not only that, but this once again gives hope to the kid in the middle of the cornfields that he can play for Nebraska if he does the right things and puts forth the effort. That is vital to the success of Nebraska football.

Walk-ons do two things.

1 - they put a passion in the locker room that out of state guys most likely will not have, and that passion for all things Nebraska rubs off. The important thing is for the coaches to treat them exactly the same as a scholarship guy, that didnt happen with Callahan, they were treated like second class players.

2 - they add depth, and in a number of cases produce great starters, filling in for scholarship busts. They make an error in picking a scholarship more forgiving.

Walk-ons do two things.

1 - they put a passion in the locker room that out of state guys most likely will not have, and that passion for all things Nebraska rubs off. The important thing is for the coaches to treat them exactly the same as a scholarship guy, that didnt happen with Callahan, they were treated like second class players.

2 - they add depth, and in a number of cases produce great starters, filling in for scholarship busts. They make an error in picking a scholarship more forgiving.

I was just going to post something like this strigori. I think it's definately a good thing for Nebraska and it's going to be amazing to see all of those players come running out of the tunnel. :thumbs

Walk-ons do two things.

:yeah

BRI you are correct in that seeing 130 players running out onto the field is something that would be awsome. Is there a maximum that can suit up for a home game?

They don't limit the number at home games, just makes it really rough for the announcers when there are multiple players using the same numbers. They do limit the number of players on a travel squad, but not real sure what the number is.

So you guys really think 160+ guys on a team is good?

:sarcasm

Ever watch the movie "Rudy"....Notre Dame basically used the walk ons for tackling dummies so that the starters didn't get hurt.

Seriously though, I don't know that I would want more than 150, and that might be pushing it. I think if it is managed right, and everyone is treated equally, but the starters get most of the reps, I don't see a problem. I think Osborne will have some influence on how it is run.

I was kind of surprised that they are bringing in 30 walk ons this year though...pleasantly surprised. I don't think the number will be that high in the coming years. I don't think there will be that many spots available after the scholarship players are brought in...but who knows, they may inflate the number of walk ons until it is established, then balance it out with a fixed number each year that is brought in. Only Bo and Dr. Tom knows for sure how they are going to work it.