Love to Know

Travis9

Let me start by saying that this post, is in no way a flame of any sorts. In fact i will categorically agree that I am 100 % guilty of all of the issues in the post to come. I just figured, since there isn't much to talk about, that i would ask these questions.

1. Why is it that we as fans demand so much success from our football program, YET, fall in love with certain players that are not best suited to help the team reach our high demands.

a. I will give 2 quick examples that i see daily.

1. Joe Ganz, as a majority, Husker nation has put this kid up on an unrealistic pedastal. Any talk by the few, offering scenarios where Ganz doesnt start or offering reasons why Ganz is not so Great, get blown up immediately and then pile on. We want success immediately from our new staff and team yet come Hell or High water it had better be done with Ganz. Why?, just suppose for a moment, just pretend, that Ganz is not the best Choice. Our fanbase would have a meltdown.

b. WR, mention that we may have much more talented WR that have yet to see action, and an altar for your sacrifice will be constructed in under 10 seconds. Is it too hard to imagine that this might be true. Our unwavering, demanding fanbase cant fathom how anyone would want or hope to see the younger receivers step up and take time away from Swift and Petersen. Maybe they are the best, maybe they arent, but to even think the notion that 2 of our players are not worldy, but very average (as is some peoples opinion of the 2) is almost considered heracy. Why is it that the other side of the argument can hold no merit for people. I for one dont care who plays as long as they earn the spot, but do many of us forget or just plain overlook the facts from the past, like numerous dropped balls, a regular occurence of inability to separate or just plain get open. However, mention that you would like to see different WR step up and take the field, I Dare You, if you do you had better buckle up for it will be a bumpy almost scary ride.

It simply amazes me how as a whole we can demand greatness, demand championships, but cant accept that to get there, our favorite player might not be the best choice at his position.

I know this is long and off subject in comparison to most posts. i also realize that i am about the furthest thing from a well versed person as you will find thus meaning that my point is not well explained in most likelihood.

I am just curious the reasons behind this. I have a few friends, friends of my parents, in their 60's that have been life long husker fans. Thaey have repeatedly made the statement that "even though Football is king in this state, we have the most ignorant fan base they have ever seen." For the longest time i simply dismissed this notion but having been on the message board for approximately a year, i find myself leaning in their direction more and more each day.

When we talk about guys we think are good players not playing, I think some of it comes from the perception that during Callahan's tenure he played favorites and at times didn't play guys who offered the best chance to win. When guys like Thenarse come out and say "I just hope that the best guys play" during the coaching search, you have to wonder if the previous staff was actually doing that. I'm not saying I'm an expert, and I'm not saying that I think the fans should determine the depth chart, but I just think that the past couple of years that fans are curious why certain guys weren't on the field. And it's not like Callahan did anything to answer those questions, he'd usually just deflect them and talk about "Oh, well, you know, Joey Ganz is up there competing with Sam, and Beau Davis is in there too, working hard, and it's a good competition."

Crap like that got real old (everybody knows Beau Davis isn't gonna start!), and fans want to know why certain guys aren't playing, particularly when in their limited time they play well (Ricky on special teams for one example).

I agree to some level but I think a new phenomena has occurred in the husker world that has never happened before. We love our new coach even though he has never (really) coached. Even Osborne wasn't trusted for years and years, and hardly anyone can still remember the days Devaney started, so I won't comment on that. Solich had somewhat mixed feelings, and people were already calling for callahan's head the day he started.

Enter Pelini. I personally, and almost all of Nebraska, have full faith in Pelini. While we want to see some games with him, we already know we like him, and he's a good coach. He will play who honestly should play and I think if he says Joey isn't the man for the job because XxxxxX showed more game than Joe, I think husker fans would be able to deal with that. In all of Nebraska history, I don't think there has EVER been such a rallying behind a new head coach.

Personally I would lay down in the mud so pelini wouldn't get his shoes dirty. I love the guy and think he is going to do great things for the school

I agree to some level but I think a new phenomena has occurred in the husker world that has never happened before. We love our new coach even though he has never (really) coached. Even Osborne wasn't trusted for years and years, and hardly anyone can still remember the days Devaney started, so I won't comment on that. Solich had somewhat mixed feelings, and people were already calling for callahan's head the day he started.

Enter Pelini. I personally, and almost all of Nebraska, have full faith in Pelini. While we want to see some games with him, we already know we like him, and he's a good coach. He will play who honestly should play and I think if he says Joey isn't the man for the job because XxxxxX showed more game than Joe, I think husker fans would be able to deal with that. In all of Nebraska history, I don't think there has EVER been such a rallying behind a new head coach.

Personally I would lay down in the mud so pelini wouldn't get his shoes dirty. I love the guy and think he is going to do great things for the school

I think that the reason for the amount of love Pelini is getting during his honeymoon period is the result of a divergence of several factors: a fan base fed up with monotone coach-speak and terrible defenses is being given a passionate straight-talker who has a love for hard-hitting, aggressive/attacking defenses. This is the perfect storm. It'd be one thing if all Callahan did was lose those ballgames, but the manner in which he did it and statements like "I know in my heart of hearts I'm doing an excellent job" didn't fly with a fan base that values honesty and straight-forwardness. If Cally had come out and said "Yea, we struggled on defense, we didn't play well at all, and a lot of that comes back to us coaches", I think that you wouldn't have seen near the backlash we did.

With Bo, you get the sense there is going to be the accountability that Husker fans demand, and I think that's a big part of the reason there is all the Bogasms going on, because we have a coach who understands our culture a bit better. That and the fact that he hasn't lost any games here yet. This could all change next fall. But that's what's great about the honeymoon period: everything is all gravy right now.

The words of Coach Osborne come to mind when he was talking about Scott Frost in 1996: "He's the best we got"

Until someone else can actually step up and prove they can play better then Ganz, Swift and Peterson will be on the field.

Peterson may not be the fastest, or the strongest, but the dude's a gamer. He catches in traffic, and isn't afraid of taking hits.

I think the reason is that we havnt seen the other guys play. We have seen Ganz, Swift and Peterson play, and produce. Now if someone else can win the job, I'm sure everyone will be all for that guy. But for the time being, we have seen what Ganz did under pressure, and our other options dont have a single snap of D-1 ball.

I may have misunderstood, but I think ---

your "questions" are actually-

1. I think Ganz is not the best guy we have at QB-- why don't you agree?

2. I think that the best WRs were on the bench-- why don't you agree?

The answer is simple....

opinons vary.

GO BO!!

opinions vary very much...

Ganz is what we have seen, he has been the best we've seen at what he did in a little while... we normally don't blame our lack of defense on the QB for losing games...

WR's.... now, theres one.. i have seen many people say that our best talent is on the bench, so i don't know why you think that EVERYONE thinks peterson and swift are best, because honestly, i don't think they're best, but they do have exp. in the system, which is a lot of the reason i think they will see significant playing time, but i think we'll see a lot of different looks at that position this year...

I have said it a couple times. Please dont think that Ganz will be handed the starting job.

Lee is one hell of an athlete and could very well be the starter.

As for championships..... Hell I have been humbled. I would be happy to see quality football and good defense. A winning record would be a bonus at this point.

I have no doubt that the best players, no matter what their name is, will be on the field. As far as talent goes, you never really know what one of these kids is or isn't capable of until they get the field. We also never really know what the team is capable until they are into the season, then it takes some luck even then.

Don't bash the team or any individual players. You need to support the people that we have to put on the field, not be critical because of what we don't have that you wish we had. It is what it is...and in the end, it is still a game, played by kids, and kids can be flakey sometimes, then sometimes they can surprise the hell out of you. Lets just hope for the latter.