Bandwagon Fans

theneguy95

I'm a big fan of my job...but if I stopped getting my paycheck you can be damn sure I'm going to start booing the CEO before too long.

Now, if the reason I didn't get paid was something beyond the control of management...a fire, a tornado (or, in the case of the Huskers...injuries or something similar)...I could live with that without much of a problem as long as I saw that management was doing something about it but when I don't get what I worked for because of mismanagment, bungling or downright incompetence and don't see any evidence that management is doing anything about the problem, I damn well do have the right to grouse about it. Doesn't mean I don't like my paycheck any less...just that I expect to get it as promised...

ISU fans are much more forgiving that NU fans...Husker fans are used to million dollar paychecks with stock options...ISU fans are used to minimum wage with an occassional tip.

But...as I have said before, I follow ISU for entertainment. I follow NU for Football!

What does ISU have that's entertaining?? Other than that one strip club downtown Ames that I went to when my job sent me to Ames for a few days. I gotta tell you. That strip club was......let's just say......quite the experience :thumbs .

We have drunken riots Mr. Wise Guy....

Yeah,.....too much Slipknot and Bar room Ultimate Fighting.

I'm a big fan of my job...but if I stopped getting my paycheck you can be damn sure I'm going to start booing the CEO before too long.

Now, if the reason I didn't get paid was something beyond the control of management...a fire, a tornado (or, in the case of the Huskers...injuries or something similar)...I could live with that without much of a problem as long as I saw that management was doing something about it but when I don't get what I worked for because of mismanagment, bungling or downright incompetence and don't see any evidence that management is doing anything about the problem, I damn well do have the right to grouse about it. Doesn't mean I don't like my paycheck any less...just that I expect to get it as promised...

ISU fans are much more forgiving that NU fans...Husker fans are used to million dollar paychecks with stock options...ISU fans are used to minimum wage with an occassional tip.

But...as I have said before, I follow ISU for entertainment. I follow NU for Football!

What does ISU have that's entertaining?? Other than that one strip club downtown Ames that I went to when my job sent me to Ames for a few days. I gotta tell you. That strip club was......let's just say......quite the experience :thumbs .

Wait, Ames has a strip club?? Why wasn't I informed when I was stuck there my freshmen year??

Great post Michael!

At the beginning of last season I was very optimistic and had faith that it would be a good season. Yet once they hit the conference schedule I knew something was terribly wrong and knew that change was needed. There really is no place to blindly follow no matter what like the young Nazis. (i.e. it's never good to be a total follower without questioning). Having SP and Callahan hit the bricks wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Here is what I think about bandwagon fans..........I don't!! I have a life. Having a life means I don't care if another Husker fan is legit and more of a fan than I am.

I am probably guilty of a number of things that would make me bandwagon or at least a bad fan in the eyes of some of you "true" husker fans. If I was at Memorial stadium this last season I'd have booed the $H!T out of that team!!

Does anyone else not think that the whole arguement of "I am a better fan than you are" (the heart of the bandwagon topic) is just about as pathetic and lame as it gets!?!? It is a matter of priority. I do enjoy my college football but I also realize, at the end of the day, it has very little to do with my real life.

Sports are entertainment. The team on the field is a product. If you like the product spend your money on it, if you don't...then don't. In my eyes, that doesn't mean that if you come back to the stadium after the product gets better, you are a bandwagon fan. It just means you were smarter than the people that blindly followed the herd to the stadium to support something they didn't really support- a losing Husker team with a staff that turned its back on the tradition that we all loved in the first place.

:rant

Wait, Ames has a strip club?? Why wasn't I informed when I was stuck there my freshmen year??

We don't...that was actually the Phi Mu Sorority house...they were having a fund raiser that week... <_<

Yes, NU fans seemed discontent this past season and showed their disapproval by booing, walking out of the game, and of course all over discussion boards. However, this doesn't mean they aren't good fans or that they are "bandwagon" fans.

Should Nebraska fans just ignore all those issues and go about their merry way like everything is okay? Should we just keep all these problems to ourselves and hope that things turn out okay? No…why should we?

Nobody should go about their merry way like everything is ok. But, I do not agree with booing our team. You may very well be booing the coaching staff, but you're also booing our players, whether or not that's your intention.

I'm OK with pretty much any expression of anger and disgust, short of physical assault, that is directed at a coaching staff as incompetent as the last was. What I'm not OK with is something that makes our players feel terrible about themselves when they're already struggling on the field.

This is a good topic and I would also like to throw out there, the "bandwagoners" that will say that they are a fan during football and then turn around and say they are a Creighton fan durning basketball. This makes me sick. Huskers are Huskers. And if you bleed Red, you support the Huskers.

Umm.... So I don't get to like Creighton basketball even though I went to Creighton huh? Hey bud.. there's no law that says I can't like two teams, ya know...... <_<

My two cents on this issue.. NU is a public university, and the coaches and players ARE public figures, whether they like that fact or not. I pay taxes in this state and those taxes help support the school and it's athletic programs. OK, so it's not much help but it's help. Likewise the royalties they get from sales of team appearal and the like. As such I have a right to have and voice an opinion whether I run around wearing that team gear or not. *Some* of it is MY money after all.

The thing that shouldn't ever happen is letting it become personal attacks on players. The coaches got a paycheck...a huge one in Callahan's case... , so blaze away at them, but the players didn't. A simple scholarship by itself.....even a full ride... doesn't accurately reflect the value these players can have to the schools bottom line. The NCAA COULD allow them a little scratch out of the deal. It wouldn't hurt anything. But that's another argument.

And if I pick up a hat or something from another team once in a while, get over yourself. Or am I also restricted from wearing a Packers hat just because I'm a Husker fan? Get Real! Again, it's MY money, so if I want to honor another team's great season I'll do it... I'm not saying I'll ever do it, but if I did it's my business. It doesn't chance wear my heart ultimately lies. You see my avatar, all of you know where I stand.

Well, I may wear a creighton shirt once in a blue moon too.

This is a good topic and I would also like to throw out there, the "bandwagoners" that will say that they are a fan during football and then turn around and say they are a Creighton fan durning basketball. This makes me sick. Huskers are Huskers. And if you bleed Red, you support the Huskers.

Umm.... So I don't get to like Creighton basketball even though I went to Creighton huh? Hey bud.. there's no law that says I can't like two teams, ya know...... <_<

My two cents on this issue.. NU is a public university, and the coaches and players ARE public figures, whether they like that fact or not. I pay taxes in this state and those taxes help support the school and it's athletic programs. OK, so it's not much help but it's help. Likewise the royalties they get from sales of team appearal and the like. As such I have a right to have and voice an opinion whether I run around wearing that team gear or not. *Some* of it is MY money after all.

The thing that shouldn't ever happen is letting it become personal attacks on players. The coaches got a paycheck...a huge one in Callahan's case... , so blaze away at them, but the players didn't. A simple scholarship by itself.....even a full ride... doesn't accurately reflect the value these players can have to the schools bottom line. The NCAA COULD allow them a little scratch out of the deal. It wouldn't hurt anything. But that's another argument.

And if I pick up a hat or something from another team once in a while, get over yourself. Or am I also restricted from wearing a Packers hat just because I'm a Husker fan? Get Real! Again, it's MY money, so if I want to honor another team's great season I'll do it... I'm not saying I'll ever do it, but if I did it's my business. It doesn't chance wear my heart ultimately lies. You see my avatar, all of you know where I stand.

Not on Drake's campus you won't! :angry:

No matter what is written here, you will always have those that just want to be part of something good or special, even though they know little about it.

I don't waste my time and energy worrying about these people, you can usually tell within 30 seconds of talking to them, and if your smart, change the subject or just move on.

Last I checked, the Packers are an NFL team, not an NCAA team and they will not be playing against the Huskers anytime soon. Since you went to Creighton and there is no football team, that's understandable in my opinion. But you cannot tell me that the 15000 Creighton "fans" that show up at the Qwest Center were there in the late 90's at the Civic when they sucked.

I see what a lot of you are saying, but I still think you can learn a lot about a man by what kind of fan he is. I mean, if someone claims to be a hardcore fan, but drops the Huskers after our latest season, and throws on gear from a recent winning program one can see deep into their personality in my opinion.

As for the sell outs and worrying about losing all of Husker faithful... I'm not worried about that at all. I'm just tired of all the crap I get at work for loving the Huskers. I too let it slide and didn't let it bother me for a long time, but it's day in and day out. The same crap.

As for the booing. I understand booing the coaching staff last year, but not the players. I don't think the players who are on the field know who we're booing at. All they know is their fans are booing no matter who the boos were directed to.

I see what a lot of you are saying, but I still think you can learn a lot about a man by what kind of fan he is. I mean, if someone claims to be a hardcore fan, but drops the Huskers after our latest season, and throws on gear from a recent winning program one can see deep into their personality in my opinion.

As for the sell outs and worrying about losing all of Husker faithful... I'm not worried about that at all. I'm just tired of all the crap I get at work for loving the Huskers. I too let it slide and didn't let it bother me for a long time, but it's day in and day out. The same crap.

As for the booing. I understand booing the coaching staff last year, but not the players. I don't think the players who are on the field know who we're booing at. All they know is their fans are booing no matter who the boos were directed to.

Oh hell...if they can take the cheering, they better be equipped to take some booing too unless you're afraid some fan criticism is going to crush their frail little egos...

Maybe some booing will help build some character with this bunch. If they didn't like the booing, they can play better (a good thing) or they can quit. Maybe it'll put that chip on their shoulder where it belongs...give them a vendetta to show us "bandwagon fans" what they are capable of...

Can't help you with the work thing...do what I do and chock it up to "Husker Envy"....my team is bigger than their team.

I thought if you "bled Red" that meant you had top secret info regarding Husker info and that if everyone was really nice to you, you'd divulge it.

Bank it!