Solich likes Bo

Husker82

Solich: Bo will do great job

Lane Grindle did a nice job with his interview of Frank Solich on Friday night on the Husker Sports Network. Grindle was classy and tactful.

That Solich appeared on the school's sports network is obviously significant -- perhaps a step toward Solich gravitating back toward the Husker family to a greater extent. Trust me, Solich feels a ton of emotion for Nebraska.

Solich always chooses his words carefully, especially as they apply to his time at NU. He's not easy to interview. And he simply doesn't like to talk about the rugged latter stages of his tenure as Husker head coach. No surprise there.

So, nothing earth-shattering in the interview. Frank was his usual cordial and respectful self.

He was asked if it's been hard to watch the NU program struggle in recent years, especially last year.

"Anybody who's played and coached there has some feelings," Solich said. "But obviously, in this day and age, it's tougher to win with regularity. I've always wanted success for that program, and I admire what the program's been all about. I'd just like to see it get back to where it was."

He was asked if he sees irony in Bo Pelini becoming Nebraska's head coach, since Solich originally brought Pelini to NU (as defensive coordinator in 2003).

"This business, in general, can be a little different in that regard," Solich said. "Bo did a great job for me, and will do great as head coach."

Although Solich and Pelini coached together for only one season, "We were together long enough to gain a mutual respect," Solich said.

"We have kept in touch some. But in this business, it's not something you can do every week. There's just too much to be done."

Solich this past season led Ohio to a 6-6 record (4-4 in the MAC). Last season, in his second year as the Bobcats' head coach, Solich guided Ohio to its first MAC East Division championship, the program's first MAC title of any kind since 1968.

"I do enjoy the opportunity to build a program," Solich said. "You can get a lot of enjoyment out of that."

nothing earth-shattering. solich usually keeps everything close to their vest.

though you have to figure he *had* to chuckle to himself when he heard peterson got the ax.

i've been waiting for someone else to say it, but they haven't. i really don't care what solich thinks. i respect the man, and appreciate the time and effort he put in at Nebraska, but and endorsement from solich doesn't mean anything to me. he wasn't a very good head coach, so i don't think he exactly qualifies as an evaluator of new head coaches.

i've been waiting for someone else to say it, but they haven't. i really don't care what solich thinks. i respect the man, and appreciate the time and effort he put in at Nebraska, but and endorsement from solich doesn't mean anything to me. he wasn't a very good head coach, so i don't think he exactly qualifies as an evaluator of new head coaches.

When you compare the first 6 years of their careers, Solich had a better resume than Osborne did, to say that Solich isn't a good coach is just buying into all the crap Pederson sold. Yes we had some blowout losses, but he got rid of the DC hired BO and then got fired anyway, so Pederson could have "his guy".

More fluff

Maybe but I didn't see a quote from Pederson or Calllllllahan anywhere. If you miss your boys so much, Pitt just got their guy back, and the Jets just got the offensive genious they were looking for.

Oh yea, you know me. OMG PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!111 Yes, I do miss their offensive "genious".

I don't know whats worse. The fact that less than 4 months ago Husker Nation was eating itself alive or the fac that now it is essentially beating itself off.

More fluff

Maybe but I didn't see a quote from Pederson or Calllllllahan anywhere. If you miss your boys so much, Pitt just got their guy back, and the Jets just got the offensive genious they were looking for.

Oh yea, you know me. OMG PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!111 Yes, I do miss their offensive "genious".

I don't know whats worse. The fact that less than 4 months ago Husker Nation was eating itself alive or the fac that now it is essentially beating itself off.

Well given the choice.... :koolaid2:

Whether Frank was a good head coach or not, he is a Husker forever, and I am glad he no longer feels disconnected with the program. At the very least, he was an excellent RB coach, and he put in a ton of years here, including his playing days. His picture is back on the wall in the athletic department, and the door is always open for him to visit, unlike how it was for the last four years. So no matter what you think of him as a head coach, he will always be one of us.