Callahan calling the plays

bbhusker

Ok. This is just my opinion and feel free to chime in.

I don't believe that Watson ever had full control over calling plays, even when Callahan said he did. It just seemed to me the every time it was stated that Watson would be calling the plays, that we moved the ball mostly at will untill we got inside the redzone and then it was the same old three & out like Bill said, OK I'll take it from here. I have never seen any team have so many third & short situations or second & short situations and throw the damn ball! Lucky averaged over 5yds a carry last season. WTF! You have a hammer like Castille and can't get 1 or 2 yds. We need to do a better job of establishing the line of scrimmage this year. There is not a single team that can win championships at this level without having a respectable running game. Period.

I understand that we need to be able to throw the ball. But, when you are running all over a team (ex. Ok. State and Kanas in 06') Why stop? The best defense is a strong offense, and running the ball effectively controls the clock and keeps the other offense off the field. :rant

Sry, anyway, it just looked to me like Bill would take over the play calling and our offense would stall. It wasn't until the end of last year when Callahan was, "Concentrating on the defense", that we finally saw some hint of what we could do on O.

I don't believe that Watson ever had full control over calling plays, even when Callahan said he did. It just seemed to me the every time it was stated that Watson would be calling the plays, that we moved the ball mostly at will untill we got inside the redzone and then it was the same old three & out like Bill said, OK I'll take it from here. I have never seen any team have so many third & short situations or second & short situations and throw the damn ball! Lucky averaged over 5yds a carry last season. WTF! You have a hammer like Castille and can't get 1 or 2 yds. We need to do a better job of establishing the line of scrimmage this year. There is not a single team that can win championships at this level without having a respectable running game. Period.

I understand that we need to be able to throw the ball. But, when you are running all over a team (ex. Ok. State and Kanas in 06') Why stop? The best defense is a strong offense, and running the ball effectively controls the clock and keeps the other offense off the field. :rant

Sry, anyway, it just looked to me like Bill would take over the play calling and our offense would stall. It wasn't until the end of last year when Callahan was, "Concentrating on the defense", that we finally saw some hint of what we could do on O.

I guess I can't comment on who was calling the plays when. I wasn't on the sideline, therefore, I do not know. I do know that I questioned alot of the play calling on 3rd and short (whoever was calling the plays), especially with someone like Castille in the backfield. It just never made sense to me then, and it still doesn't make sense to me now.

However, you are spot on with the other things you said.

NU's offense needs to establish a solid running game in order for them to be successful next season. I'm not necessarily talking about 300 yards rushing every game, but enough of a run game so those linebackers have to worry about both the passing and rushing game. Run, run, run, run the ball, sprinkle in some play action, screens, and deep routes. Keep the defense guessing what the hell is going on.

Another thing I noticed was that while Ganz was in, he almost seemed hesitant to run. He's not the most athletic QB in the world, but he CAN run. Assuming he will be the QB next season, I think Ganz needs to run more. If the pocket collapses or there are huge areas of open field, he should just tuck the ball and run it. Make the defense pay for their mistakes. After a few 10-15 yard gains, the LBs would probably creep up to keep an eye on Ganz, which would open up the passing game a fair amount.

Just my opinion though...

I think Callahan wanted full control of the offense and I'm really not sure why he even had an OC. He didn't let his OC do much at all.

Having said that, I do think Watson will do well and our offense will really take off. Watson won't have Callahan's stubborness and will make changes as necessary.

Nebraska ranked 7th in the country in red zone offense, scoring 90% of the time, 74% TD's.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/leader/nation...y27/sort01.html

Nebraska ranked 7th in the country in red zone offense, scoring 90% of the time, 74% TD's.

I think thats the point, why be 7th when we could be 1st

To bad Nebraska never got near the red zone during the Oklahoma St, Texas A & M and Missouri game to make this statitic mean anything. <_<

I'm just hoping that whoever sent Cody Glen on a crucial 3rd and 2 (after he's been out for at least 4 games) in the Texas game is no longer deciding who plays and what play to call.

I do know that I questioned alot of the play calling on 3rd and short (whoever was calling the plays), especially with someone like Castille in the backfield. It just never made sense to me then, and it still doesn't make sense to me now.

The few times he had the chance to prove himself on 3rd and short he fumbled.

So did A Green. But, with a little support and more carries..... look what happened. Castille is young and will over come the fumbling with time. He was our hardest running by FAR. It seemed that every time he came in and pounded the line... all the sudden Lucky would run like he should. It might just be me that is what my perception was.

I do know that I questioned alot of the play calling on 3rd and short (whoever was calling the plays), especially with someone like Castille in the backfield. It just never made sense to me then, and it still doesn't make sense to me now.

The few times he had the chance to prove himself on 3rd and short he fumbled.

Okay, and what's your point?

Im not trying to live in the past but we still have the same OC so I think the discussion has justice. I agree with the point about the redzone percentage, we did have to actually get to the redzone and more times than not we didn't. I believe that stats can be deceiving when our offense only made an impact against lower competition with the exception of Kansas and during garbage time when the game was decided. It just baffled me how we could run the ball in bigger games and take ourself out of it with too much passing.

Whoever was calling the plays made some critical errors on the short distance. I guess we will find out this year who was responsible. I will play devil's advocate here....if as a coach you think a play can be executed and you call that play, you expect the players to do it. If they players are unable to execute then it is easy to just blame the coach. Either way, it is over with and the Pelini era cannot come soon enough :restore:restore