Huskers/Big XII Combine Numbers

After updating it was a little surprising to see that Octavien ran a 4.67. I was thinking low 4.6 or maybe breaking under 4.6, but after seeing the other Big 12 LB's times I'm not too worried about it. I thought ISU's Bowen was surely at least a 4.6 guy and he ended up running a 4.89??? Only 15 reps too. I always thought he played a lot faster than that. The 40 times once guys get to the combine always puzzle me. They are never what you think at certain positions. I actually think that players can play faster on the field rather than what their 40 shows.

i believe octos 40 time was actually 8th fastest among linebackers, not too bad really.

Yeah...that makes it a bit better for him. It seems like Linebacker 40's are down this year some.

Octavien ran a solid time and had a good showing on the bench. It's hard to say what kind of interest he will garner with his injury history. Perhaps he gets drafted late or makes the team as a free agent and plays special teams.

After updating it was a little surprising to see that Octavien ran a 4.67. I was thinking low 4.6 or maybe breaking under 4.6, but after seeing the other Big 12 LB's times I'm not too worried about it. I thought ISU's Bowen was surely at least a 4.6 guy and he ended up running a 4.89??? Only 15 reps too. I always thought he played a lot faster than that. The 40 times once guys get to the combine always puzzle me. They are never what you think at certain positions. I actually think that players can play faster on the field rather than what their 40 shows.

i believe octos 40 time was actually 8th fastest among linebackers, not too bad really.

Yeah...that makes it a bit better for him. It seems like Linebacker 40's are down this year some.

Octavien ran a solid time and had a good showing on the bench. It's hard to say what kind of interest he will garner with his injury history. Perhaps he gets drafted late or makes the team as a free agent and plays special teams.

Hopefully they don't watch any game film from him last year.........

True- Octo was all over the field last year, but I don't put the onus on him. I think that under the right system and coach he could be awesome. He has great instincts and was one of the few Huskers who could really lay down a hard hit last year. I thought most of the biggest hits came from Octo and Ben Eisenhart.

I think he'll get drafted and I think he'll do well in the NFL as long as he doesn't get injured. I still can't believe Bradley got drafted last year in the third round. That guy was as slow as molasses but then again, Ruud wasn't that fast and he's tearing it up at Tampa Bay.

Honestly I'm kind of glad to see Sam Keller's stock falling. He was a total ego-maniac. He never fit in at NU and he wasn't half as good as he thought he was. He was a jerk in real life. Right after Keller transferred to NU, one of my friends met him at a downtown bar while he was waiting in line at the bathroom. Keller walked right past the line and when someone complained Keller whirled around and said "Do you know who I am? I f***ing own this town now." and I think that really shows his true colors. Apparently scouts were turned off by his cockiness also.

Won't have time to update it till I get home later today, but I just wanted to point out that Zack Bowman ran a 4.38 at the combine to go along with a solid 18 reps. Glad to see he has some speed still after the injury.

Wow thats great to hear about Bowman. I'm sure the scouts will take into account his injuries too, which might add on a hundreth of a second or two. He is definetly helping out his stock.

DB's added.

Bowman looks really good compared to the other Big 12 DB's. Talib's vert was incredible, but he is slower and not as strong. Griffin's 4.7 40 is laughable.

Nice to see Octo getting some props. He will need all the recognition he can get to boost his stock. His draft status to me seems like a mystery right now.

Different track?

People who run at college pro days also record faster numbers usually, I think, because of the faster track.

Also, with HS kids, these are all very unofficial times...even at the pro level, unofficial tends to be faster than official. There's probably a lot of fudging going on...

Rivals always seems to have inflated numbers to sell subscriptions.

After further review, Mo's 40 time on rivals when he was recruited was 4.45 and Octaviens was 4.5.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=102381

Different track?

People who run at college pro days also record faster numbers usually, I think, because of the faster track.

Also, with HS kids, these are all very unofficial times...even at the pro level, unofficial tends to be faster than official. There's probably a lot of fudging going on...

Rivals always seems to have inflated numbers to sell subscriptions.

After further review, Mo's 40 time on rivals when he was recruited was 4.45 and Octaviens was 4.5.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=102381

Good article. Answers some ?'s