More players in trouble with the law

2 current, 2 ex-Huskers ticketed at party

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 - 03:59:25 pm CDT

Two current Nebraska football players and two former players with NFL Draft hopes got in trouble when police busted a party they were at Saturday night.

Police say they ticketed Maurice Purify, 22, Carl Nicks, 22, Ben Martin, 19, and Mike V. Smith, 19, after they were called to 3124 Mickaela Lane in northwest Lincoln just before midnight Saturday about a loud party.

Officer Katie Flood said police arrived to find the music could be heard from the sidewalk and more than 75 people inside. Empty beer cans littered the home.

Flood said police cited 10 partygoers who remained after officers told everyone to leave, including the four.

Smith was accused of maintaining a disorderly house, and Purify and Martin of being inmates of a disorderly house.

Police arrested Nicks on suspicion of being an inmate of a disorderly house and failure to disperse after he wouldn’t leave. He since has been released.

Coach Bo Pelini said he was aware of the situation and it will be dealt with internally.

Martin, a graduate of Lincoln Southwest, is a sophomore defensive lineman who played in six games and had three tackles last season. Smith, a sophomore from Las Vegas, backed up Nicks at left tackle last year, and is a candidate to start this season.

Purify, a former receiver, and Nicks recently participated in the NFL Combine in front of scouts and coaches, both earning positive reviews.

The 335-pound Nicks performed impressively enough at the combine that some believe he could be taken on the first day of the NFL Draft, which includes the first two rounds.

Purify already is on probation for assault, disturbing the peace, interrupting arrest and DUI, actions which caused him to be suspended for last year’s season opener. In January, prosecutors reopened the case on a motion to revoke his probation, after he was accused of driving on a suspended license in October.

Purify had 57 catches last year and a team-high 814 yards and nine touchdowns.

After the combine, Scott Wright, an analyst for NFL Draft Countdown, said Purify “put himself into position to be a late-round pick. What’s going to be important now is his interviews. He needs to convince coaches and general managers that off-the-field problems won’t be an issue.”

link

This is one of those instances where you just wanna grab the NFL-hopeful guys and yell "What were you thinking? Do you realize what's at stake? Do you realize how little room for error there is right now with you?"

I realize it's just some college party, and in the grand scheme of things, it's no big deal, I've certainly done worse. But then, I've never had a potential NFL contract to think about either (one that is dependent on staying out of trouble, at that). Gotta have some common sense sometimes. If a cop asks you do to something, no matter how trivial or stupid it may seem, this is not the time to question authority. Get your a$$ out of there.

Man! The cops gave them a chance to leave the party w/o being ticketed and they stayed anyways??? Thats just foolishness!

:wtfdedhoarse

Who all lived in the house cause if it was any of those 4, than it might not have mattered cause they would have been ticketed anyways. Story: my roomate and I threw a party, I left to go to work, someone called a noise complaint and the cops wanted to go to my work to cite me also and I wasn't even there. Roomate said he didn't know where I worked.

now Purify will probably not be drafted and Nicks has no chance of going second round as some projects put him, maybe not even first day depends on what else happens with this

I doubt Nicks is penalized... "Coach, I got ticketed for being at a loud party". If he impressed the NFL scounts and coaches, he'll go on day 1.

Purify on the other hand, has shown to completely lack common sense. I wouldn't want him on any team I coached. He's trouble waiting to happen.