Would you rather have a consistently top 10 football team or basketball team??

Put the basket at 15 feet where all have to be able to do the basics of the game. Dunking is fun to watch, but now nearly all are capable of dunking the ball. That is the reason we get run in the Olympics. We do not have the skills to play the game as it was supppose to be played.

I can watch college ball, but pro ball just plain sucks. Palming the ball carrying the ball and traveling are joke calls.

Nebraska spells football. If we should happen to have a top basketball team it would be fine, but it will never be on par with football at Nebraska, unless we continue the tumble that started 8 years ago. Time will tell.

The tumble didnt start 8 years ago....it started when Callahan was hired.

BS

It began 8 years ago folks. Sorry to disagree. It did not start with Callahan. It started the day TO left. You can praise all you want about the one Pelini year but it was okay at best. We got clobbered by anyone with a pulse. He made great improvement, but the college talent for what ever reason never appeared against equal or better talent. Not saying we would not have been better off if Coach Pelini had been hired. Just stating that we have been on decline since TO left. A couple of up years along the way, one with Coach Pelini and one with Bill when we won the division.

Yea I know we went to the BCS championship game, but never deserved to be there. Hell Arizona made us look stupid the year before or when ever.

The talent may be there guys, I really do not know, but I still question the heart of this team, BC recruited the best talent he could get to come here, but did he get the character to follow through. It certainly lacked last year. If anyone can get them to turn it on, it is Coach Pelini, but he could turn them all off just as easily. He demands effort and sacrifice. Most showed last year they wanted nothing to do with either.

It began 8 years ago folks. Sorry to disagree. It did not start with Callahan. It started the day TO left. You can praise all you want about the one Pelini year but it was okay at best. We got clobbered by anyone with a pulse. He made great improvement, but the college talent for what ever reason never appeared against equal or better talent. Not saying we would not have been better off if Coach Pelini had been hired. Just stating that we have been on decline since TO left. A couple of up years along the way, one with Coach Pelini and one with Bill when we won the division.

Yea I know we went to the BCS championship game, but never deserved to be there. Hell Arizona made us look stupid the year before or when ever.

The talent may be there guys, I really do not know, but I still question the heart of this team, BC recruited the best talent he could get to come here, but did he get the character to follow through. It certainly lacked last year. If anyone can get them to turn it on, it is Coach Pelini, but he could turn them all off just as easily. He demands effort and sacrifice. Most showed last year they wanted nothing to do with either.

Absolutely false on several levels.....

In 1999/2000 the team only lost once to Texas, then came back to beat them in the title game, and then crushed a good Tennesee team in the Fiesta Bowl when many thought that NU belonged playing against FSU in the title game.

"We got clobbered by any team with a pulse" Sure the 2001 season fell apart but there was a win against #1 OU. Several of those teams were remarkably talented and in my opinion Solich was saddled with a staff that didn't care to listen to him or even want to work anymore, but were held on becuase of TO's loyalty.

Its this attitude that led to Solich's firing which led to BC"s hiring. I am not a Solich die-hard by any means, but since you have propped up your booster background, you need to admit to yourself that people like you who immediately held Solich up to TO standards the second he was hired was a big factor in his demise.

Osborne retired at the end of the 97 season and hand picked Solich to coach in 98. 1998 was 10 years ago. Solich had a 58-19 record at NU as the head coach, which is a better beginning than Osborne had his first 6 years. Also, how would a coach's energy turn off a team? These are football players, they look to their coach for support and enthusiasm. Hes to be a role model for the team. Lastly, the team did demand effort and sacrifice. The coaches didnt, thus, the team was horrible. There was a thread about Thenarse aparently wanting to transfer if BC remained HC. In the thread Thenarse said BC made excuses for everything. IMO if the coach has no confidence in his team and needs to excuse everything then the team wont be any good.

Correct we beat # 1 Oklahoma that went on to get beaten badly by Oregon in their bowl game. Bot teams were way over rated at the time

Talent was there for Frank to do well but the tumble started the day Osborne left in recruiting and it seems heart to me. I am not defending Callahan at all. I just see things changing greatly after TO left, and it really started to show a couple of years after he left. I do not blame it on Frank either. It was a change in ideas by the players. It became all about me. What do I get by going there. No longer about being a Nebrask football player.

I supported Frank till the day he left. I wanted Pelini hired at that time. Wrong on all accounts. I also wanted Callahan to be here another year with a new defensive coordinator. I am not much into change I guess

I have said many times it was not Franks fault, and that he had coaches that did not think he deserved the job. He also had a AD that did very little to help and then one that did not like him. Frank got a bum deal in my mind to. But the fact that we were coming apart and really had no solution for the problem is what I was talking about.

A team will only get better if it has the character to. I question the character of what BC recruited. I questioned many things that he did. Keller, Culbert and I stated it at the time when all others thought it was wonderful. When you bend rules or break common value levels the others on the team see it. I think those are the problems with last years team. It lacked determination, heart, will to win. If that is common thread in most them, then Coach Pelini will have major problems with them. And rightly so. Many quit last year in my eyes. Once a quitter, always a quitter is the norm. This program under Coach Pelini is going to be a lot harder than it has been is my guess. And as I have said before, I expect quite a few to leave shortly after the spring game. I have no problems with that. I want players that live and die Nebraska football. If they are not here, we need to let the ones that feel that way play, no matter their class level. I think we are going to see a lot of youth this year. Again no problem with that at all. And if the wins do not come because of a house cleaning effort it will be fine with me. I want back the Nebraska that we had. I do not care about NC or the win loss record. I want a team that comes to play their guts out. One that never quits and leaves it all on the field. I want a player that when he loses he is sick, not out partying the night away.

I did not mean anything negative about coach Pelini. I think he has a very tough job ahead of him. But I see him steping on a lot of players toes, and that may hurt him initially. Hope I am wrong about that, but we won't know until the going gets tough. We saw what happened last year. The wheels came off pretty fast after a pretty good year the year before.

But I do feel if there is a coach out there that can make this work, it will be Coach Pelini. I admire his drive and determination. But I do not expect miracles this year.

Just for accuracy, CU lost to Oregon in the Bowl game, but your point is the same since CU clobbered us.

And were you not the same person that said you would quit posting/supporting the team if Pelini was hired? Just curious because if that was your claim, you've done quite the 180.

Just for accuracy, CU lost to Oregon in the Bowl game, but your point is the same since CU clobbered us.

And were you not the same person that said you would quit posting/supporting the team if Pelini was hired? Just curious because if that was your claim, you've done quite the 180.

Yep that was him. They are slowly starting to come around afterall.

My point was most in the conference were over rated that year.

Yes,

I made that comment and did stop for quite awhile, but Coach Pelini has done some things that I like and I decided he needed a chance. I judged him on things he did after leaving the program. I still do not like the things he did, but I like his fire and determination. I am not sold on his management abilities yet, but you have to be the boss to know if you can be the boss.

I would have liked to have seen other than Coach Pelini for numerous reasons. Actually any of the ones talked about would have been fine with me. I did not have a favorite other than Pat Hill, who was not even considered. Actually I do not believe any others were considered from what was posted weeks and months before he was hired. A big time booster made this choice is still my guess.

But he seems to be working along the lines that I like, and I do believe with his fire and dedication he is capable of bringing us back. But I do not expect much this year from him as far as great wins or too much in the win loss ratio. He needs his guys there. Not for talent, but for mind set. But I will not say that I do not think he can do a good job this year either. It depends on the moral fiber of what was recruited before him. If they are ready to step up and work their butts off we will see marked improvement.

And I repeat I wanted him hired when we ended up with Coach Callahan. Things that were done and said after he went to Oklahoma are the problems I had with him. But after listening to some of his players at LSU I realized all people mature. I think that he has. It is most likely better that he had the time away from Nebraska, to grasp the college way and to learn from a couple of pretty good head coaches. He has even stated the same. I like that.

I did say that I would withold donations until next year that had been promised for this year. I am still sticking to that. And it has nothing to do with win loss records, it has to do with his ability to lead this team in a professional manor, no NCAA infractions under his control, accademic standards continued or exceeded, and the overall program for positive movement. He has met or exceeded all to this point. I feel he will do what I need him to do.

Maybe we all grow up, I may have needed to do some growing to. Nah that's not possible, I am always right. NOT!!!!!!