Players barred from bars?

The head coach shouldn't be responsible for banning players from bars/drinking. It should be up to the players themselves to sacrifice boozing so they can concentrate of football/workouts/success.

Your probably right in a perfect world but this world the head coach is the one who's going to take the heat for irresponsible actions by his players. You see it in the headlines all the time X program out of control, coach not disciplining players etc.

Realistically it's a shame he must even make such a statement. It's a shame that these young men can't be responsible. There is a reason the drinking age is 21 instead of 17....20. It is expected that by age 21 you can act responsibly. At 21 you can't say the young man made a mistake. That's for 17 and 18 year olds. At 21 it's grown man and responsible for his actions. In most situations the law cuts you some slack until age 18 and after that you get treated as an adult. At 21 it is your responsibility and not your coaches responsibility to be your baby sitter in addition to mentor, adviser and coach.

I agree with coyeote. If we as fans are going to tell the coaching staff and athletic administration they need to reprimand students for getting into problems with the law OFF campus which 99% of the time resorts from alcohol...then the coaches should be the ones making up the rules of what the players can and can't do (within reason obviously). We can't shake a finger at the the coaches and tell them to "control those students" but not give them any power to try and prevent situations like drunken bar fights or worse. If the students have a problem with that...then quit the team. Because that's what it is; a team. One guy (or as we have seen...several guys) can mess it up for everyone. One guy doesn't pull his weight in practice....everyone does laps. One guy decides to get a DUI...no one is allowed to go to bars.

besides, most serious athletes will tell you that you should avoid alcohol altogether. Especially binge drinking.

The head coach shouldn't be responsible for banning players from bars/drinking. It should be up to the players themselves to sacrifice boozing so they can concentrate of football/workouts/success.

Your probably right in a perfect world but this world the head coach is the one who's going to take the heat for irresponsible actions by his players. You see it in the headlines all the time X program out of control, coach not disciplining players etc.

Realistically it's a shame he must even make such a statement. It's a shame that these young men can't be responsible. There is a reason the drinking age is 21 instead of 17....20. It is expected that by age 21 you can act responsibly. At 21 you can't say the young man made a mistake. That's for 17 and 18 year olds. At 21 it's grown man and responsible for his actions. In most situations the law cuts you some slack until age 18 and after that you get treated as an adult. At 21 it is your responsibility and not your coaches responsibility to be your baby sitter in addition to mentor, adviser and coach.

:clap

Adults set the rules. Break them and suffer the consequences.

Husker quarterback Joe Ganz said one rule is that guys aren't supposed to go to various downtown bars for the rest of the semester.

Sounds to me more like they aren't allowed to go to SPECIFIC bars, alla brass rail, brothers etc... I see NO problem with that what-so-ever. Besides I have the feeling that most of them won't WANT to drink untill after the spring game....

I think the University has every right to make sure that their "ambassadors" represent them well...most of them are getting a free education, I don't think it is too much to ask that they conform to the policies set forth by their HC.

I see no problem with this policy, especially since a few bad apples have already made their mark on the police blotter this year. A lot of them are underage anyway, and shouldn't be in bars or for that matter drinking at all...it is illegal, after all.

Awesome. Now I don't have to worry about them stealing women from me that I'm trying to pick up. :corndance

But in all seriousness, I applaud Coach Pelini for putting the hammer down and hopefully we won't have to deal with these issues any more.

now all you have to worry about is the volleyball players coming in the bar, taking all of the dudes you were trying to hit on...whoa! snap!