Blackshirts making intense strides

During Nebraska's championship years of the 1990s, Brown said, no defense challenged the Husker offense like the Blackshirts each day in practice.

Those defenses were relentless, Brown said. Each practice, they hooted and hollered and had a good old time.

"That's what you're seeing with our defense right now," Brown said.

:koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

I'm just concerned about how the defense will react should their confidence be shaken a bit.

Will they think "Oh no, here we go. Just like last year." Or will they get back up and fight?

I think it will be the latter, but even with all this new attitude and aggressiveness, it still could be in the back of their minds.

I guess we'll see.

only thing i can say about that is.. teams usually tend to reflect the attitude of their coaches.. at the college level and levels below, and in a sense levels above.. that is one thing that gives me hope that this will be real...

I have some ocean front property in Arizona, you guys seem like likely prospects.

Just pulling your chains.

But honestly what do you expect to hear coming from the coaches.?

They suck, they can not learn, they will not learn, they will not try. Man are we in trouble. Pelini does not know anything.

Forget the hype. VaTech is the answer. When and only then will we know if all is right or on the way to being right.

Not buying anymore of this preseason bull anymore. Seeing is believeing. Real on real.

Remember last year we were beating SC, breaking the huddle National Champions. I want to believe it but have been burnt too many time recently to buy in.

Next or the following I may be swallowing all this stuff, but not this year.

But man o man I hope I am wrong.

Hey skersfan, I have the sand if you can come up with the water :lol:

GBR!!!

DaveH,

I think you may have misunderstood, what I was saying. I have no doubts that Coach Pelini will get everything out of these kids that they have. But only if they have the character to give it.

I am not questioning this staff, actually I only questioned the last staff on the defensive side. There were some good games on that side of the ball too.

If we get it done this year, fantastic, but I am on board for the long run. I do not see the golden horizon some see, maybe from being kicked in the face so many times recently. But I do see this turning around with this type of a coach. I can live with any improvement that shows us playing like we used to. Hard nosed football, never quit till the last whistle.

But from what I saw last year, I just do not know if those individuals are there. Or do we still have a negative on the team that poisons it.

VaTech will be the tell tale game. I do not say we have to win the game for me to be impressed. I just want to see them take them on, get hit in the mouth and swing back. I want them so down when they lose a game they can not live with themselves. Not frippen partying on O Street. Like I have said, look for a lot of new kids playing come fall. Still think we will see a lot hit the bench after the spring game. Coach Pelini will get the players on the field, whether their freshman or seniors he will get the ones out there that want to play and give everything to do it. I could care less if every starter is a freshman and we lose games because of it. We need to turn the sucker around, Coach Pelini I think has the ability to do it. I just hope he knows enough about the whole process to keep it going and out of trouble.

DaveH,

I think you may have misunderstood, what I was saying. I have no doubts that Coach Pelini will get everything out of these kids that they have. But only if they have the character to give it.

I am not questioning this staff, actually I only questioned the last staff on the defensive side. There were some good games on that side of the ball too.

If we get it done this year, fantastic, but I am on board for the long run. I do not see the golden horizon some see, maybe from being kicked in the face so many times recently. But I do see this turning around with this type of a coach. I can live with any improvement that shows us playing like we used to. Hard nosed football, never quit till the last whistle.

But from what I saw last year, I just do not know if those individuals are there. Or do we still have a negative on the team that poisons it.

VaTech will be the tell tale game. I do not say we have to win the game for me to be impressed. I just want to see them take them on, get hit in the mouth and swing back. I want them so down when they lose a game they can not live with themselves. Not frippen partying on O Street. Like I have said, look for a lot of new kids playing come fall. Still think we will see a lot hit the bench after the spring game. Coach Pelini will get the players on the field, whether their freshman or seniors he will get the ones out there that want to play and give everything to do it. I could care less if every starter is a freshman and we lose games because of it. We need to turn the sucker around, Coach Pelini I think has the ability to do it. I just hope he knows enough about the whole process to keep it going and out of trouble.

Good post and I agree with the part where you are talking about freshman starting skersfan. I could care less if it's a first year kid or a senior getting the starting spot. Get the kids out there that want to play and are going to be the best talent out there.

This spring, defenders are ripping at the ball once it's caught.

I hope like hell, Pelini is coaching the players to tackle the guy first before trying to strip the ball. I got sick and f'in tired of seeing 3 guys trying to strip the ball while the receiver/running back racked up another 10-15 yards while our defense tried to strip the ball instead of tackling the ball carrier.

All in all though, I like what I'm hearing coming out of practice reports.

I hope like hell, Pelini is coaching the players to tackle the guy first before trying to strip the ball. I got sick and f'in tired of seeing 3 guys trying to strip the ball while the receiver/running back racked up another 10-15 yards while our defense tried to strip the ball instead of tackling the ball carrier.

Yeah, that would definately be a start!

Well, based on the way Pelini-coached defenses have played, it shouldn't be a worry. One reason, I suspect, that he preaches "every player run to the ball" is to ensure that if the first guy goes for the strip, there's someone there (a lot of someones, actually) for the tackle.

Dave H, whether Pelini is successful or not, there are going to be fair weathered Husker fans who will bitch about Pelini when things don't go perfect. So, yes, I agree his first loss will end his honeymoon. I clearly remember how many Husker fans bitched about a coach we had who eventually won three out of four N.C.s to close out his career, and he went on into politics. Heck, there are plenty of fair weathered OU fans complaining about Bob Stoops "not being able to win the big game." So, yes, there is a 100 percent chance that some Husker fans will complain about Pelini. That's just the nature of the beast.