Husker kickers aim for success

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10305359

LINCOLN — Two of the few Nebraska football players who did enough last season want to do more as they go from being freshmen to sophomores.

That happens to mean that kickers Alex Henery and Adi Kunalic are after each other's jobs in spring practice.

Henery was perfect on eight field goals and all 45 of his extra points in 2007. But he never tried a kick of 40 yards or longer and was aware that Kunalic might have gotten the call had there been more than one of those.

Kunalic was a huge boon to special teams while recording 28 touchbacks in 66 kickoffs. But as a kicker, he naturally wants to handle some field goals and PATs as well.

"Ultimately, we told them coming in that with the new staff we were going to kind of clean the slate, and everybody's going to have an opportunity," NU assistant coach John Papuchis said. "Right now, both Adi and Alex are splitting reps. I don't know if there's a front-runner as of yet, but they're both hitting the ball pretty good and I think we're converting a lot of our kicks."

At least there shouldn't be any concern about either sitting on accomplishments from last season, when they were mostly exempt from blame and criticism that spread after a 5-7 finish.

"We're good friends and we talk all the time," Kunalic said. "It's just once we get out there it's a competition, and we both know it. After he has a good kick, I'll tell him, 'Good kick,' and he does the same for me. It's not like I'd want him to miss anything. It's just whoever the better kicker is, that's who will be playing."

Henery posted the first perfect season in 2007 by any NU kicker attempting at least five field goals. The walk-on from Omaha Burke, who redshirted in 2006, connected twice at both Wake Forest and Missouri.

"I felt like I could do more, but I was happy with my first year doing that," Henery said. "I only had eight chances, so it's not like it was a huge amount. I wouldn't say I was perfect, but it wasn't bad.

"I just have a little more confidence, and know what I can do now."

Henery had Kunalic all fall to use as comparison on his length. It's something he continues to develop, but won't concede anything to the strong-legged scholarship kicker from Fort Worth, Texas.

Kunalic's focus is more on accuracy and consistency. On his only field goal last season, he drilled a 46-yarder.

"I do want to do everything," Kunalic said. "Alex and I have both been kicking really well lately. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but I'd say we've been doing about the same."

Memorial Stadium fans showed appreciation for Kunalic's kickoffs as NU trailed only Big 12 leader Oklahoma in touchbacks. The Huskers had just 12 in 2006, even when kicks originated from the 35-yard line before the move to the 30.

Kunalic at the time didn't quite understand the fuss nor the value of what he was doing.

"During the season, I really didn't think about it at all," he said. "I don't really think I took it that serious, I just did everything like I did in practice and it went good for me."

Both Kunalic and Henery said NU graduate assistant Curt Baldus has been a little less hands-on than Keith Heckendorf a year ago. If there is any other real change, at least this spring, they say they've been kicking a little less in practices.

Both also said they're focused on taking the next step after good starts to their careers.

"You always just keep getting better," Henery said. "You can hit it farther, hit it more consistently — stuff people don't really notice, but stuff as a kicker you notice yourself."

From what I hear, if Henery doesnt end up on a scholarship(he is a walk-on) this season or after it, we probably lose him.

He will likely get a scholarship this year after attrition kicks in. There will always be guys who transfer, get booted or NQ's.

He deserves the scholly, too. People get caught up in Adi's leg strength, but Henery is not very far behind Adi as most like to believe. Henery is really our best kicker and by a pretty good margin, IMO.

I hope they can keep both of them and keep them both happy. Maybe one needs to do kick offs and the other the field goals, I don't know. Yeah, the best kicker should be out there playing. But it seems like both of these guys are pretty darn good, and need to play.

if kunalic learns control and is able to park the ball on the opposition's 5 yard line, he could be nebraska's best weapon.

right now, he slams the ball right into the atmosphere and *hopefully* the ball doesn't burn up on re-entry.