Player: Toben Opurum

Hometown: Plano, TX

Position: RB

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 229 lbs

Forty:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Kansas

Schools of Interest: Nebraska, Kansas, Northwestern, Purdue, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Tulsa

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Big bruising back who gained 600 yards on 99 attempts for 4 TDs in his junior year. Also was a threat receiving with 27 receptions for 574 yards and 6 TDs.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%.

TOBENOPURUM1JD08200.JPG

• 1 month later...

Texas almost has their class full, I wouldn't expect to see anything in the way of offers coming from them.

With Tiller in his last year at Purdue and that soft-team not having done anything in several years anyway I can't see being that excited about them.

• 3 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

JUNE 9, 2008. PREP STAR

TOBIN OPUREM, RB, 6-1, 228, 4.4, PLANO (EAST), TEXAS

Tobin has offers from Purdue, Kansas, Nebraska, Tulsa, Rice, Arkansas, Illinois, Arizona State and others.

“Kansas and Purdue are recruiting me the hardest. Kansas is probably my favorite right now.” said Opurem, “ I plan on visiting Kansas this summer. If I like it there I might commit.”

“Kansas coaches said I could play early. Kansas likes running the ball even though they run the spread.” he said, “They (KU coaches) said I’m a big guy who plays like a little guy. I make plays after contact.”

“I still hear from John Papuchis (Nebraska).” said Opurem, “Nebraska got a commitment from Trinity running back (Tray Robinson) and they are still offering me a scholarship. I like Nebraska the running backs catch the ball.”

“Some schools are recruiting me as a full back, Nebraska hasn’t said want they want me as. I do prefer playing running back. I will probably make it to Nebraska for a visit this summer.”

“I like Purdue I will visit them this summer too. Purdue coaches also said I could play early.” said Opurem, “They have a great engineering school it’s a possibility I will major in engineering.”

“I don’t know when I will commit. I like to visit some schools this summer before I make a decision. I like a place where I feel comfortable with the atmosphere.”

Opurem went on to say that none of the Texas schools are recruiting him so distance is not a factor. Tobin said he like Wake Forest also. He knows a couple of players at Wake now.

• 6 months later...

Player: Toben Opurum

Hometown: Plano, TX

Position: RB

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 229 lbs

Forty:

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Kansas

Schools of Interest: Nebraska, Kansas, Northwestern, Purdue, Texas A&M, Wake Forest, Tulsa

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Big bruising back who gained 600 yards on 99 attempts for 4 TDs in his junior year. Also was a threat receiving with 27 receptions for 574 yards and 6 TDs.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%.

TOBENOPURUM1JD08200.JPG

What school does he go to in Plano, East, West? Oh East, they are VERY BAD! I don't think Big 12 North teams are gonna beat OU, Texas, OSU or Tech until they start getting some of the 4 and 5 star kids, folk that UT and OU actually are recruiting instead of the 2-3 star kids. Dugat is very good and should not be going to Houston, maybe Green can get him to change his mind... We need to get a better grade of Texas athlete at the skill spots on offense and defense or just outwork the schools in recruiting the late bloomers.