Wise NU Recruiting Angle

Recruiting is not an issue of who you choose --- it is an issue of who you can get. It is like like the guy in HS who asks out the 10 most desirable girls --- and each turns him down. In the end, he settles for what he can get --- and goes to the prom with someone who is, at least superficially, less desirable, but willing. In the process does he turn down the less attractive so as to wait, hopefully, for the attractive one to change her mind and say yes? Or does he take what he can get and go with it? It likely depends on whether he thinks he really has a shot at a top date --- if he thinks likely not, then he settles --- or, better stated, he works with what he can get and makes good of it (and often that can be very good).

Transitioning to NU recruiting, it appears that we are early in the process and already "settling." At first glance this is alarming and maybe bad. But, at closer inspection it is GOOD. This approach is much better than was Callahans. Remember with Callahan, 90% of the recruiting excitement was with who we offered and who we courted and who we came close on. Yet 9/10 of the star recruits went elsewhere. What we really got was not that "competitive" at all. The process made it seem as though we were "recruiting with the big dogs" --- but we really were not (with a few exceptions).

The current approach --- Does the NU staff think that they really have a chance recruiting against OU, Texas, Michigan, ND, Tennessee, Florida State, Florida, Miami, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, and the other big dogs for the top recruits? Based on who they have taken so far it would seem that the KNOW THAT THEY CANNOT RECRUIT AT THAT LEVEL --- at least not now. Sure they are offering to many of the same guys but are clearly not holding out for them and are already willing to "settle" for those who are willing to come. Taking Robinson rather than waiting on a top 30 back is an indication of this. Taking Bodtman rather than waiting on the 4 star LB's is another indicator. Considering so many Nebraskans is yet another. Thus, it appears that they will try to really make due with recruits that these others would not seriously consider. And, actually, it makes sense. NU really can't recruit against the elite --- and will even struggle or come out about even with recruiting in the next tier against Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Taxas Tech, A&M, etc. The NU staff seems to have a level-headed view here --- take kids that the big guys don't want --- get them early and choose those with heart and desire and intangibles --- rather than wait on the super stars --- 90-95% of whom will go elsewhere and then, in that process of time, lose out on the players you can realistically get. Callahan lost out, I'd guess, on many solid players he could have gotten to sign on in hopes of landing the superstars who rarely did sign on.

The Pelini approach, if I am at all accurate here, seems to be to find the guys that have what he wants (in intangibles if not athletically) --- grit, tenacity and a desire to play here --- who may not be "top tier" recruits that others would not bother with and then get them to play with total commitment. No prima donnas. No (or few) national-level, everybody wants them-type recruits. It is realistic. It is grass roots. And, it is not unlike most of the Osborne years.

I like it. So my notion is that we should not be overly concerned that most of our recruits that actually end up signing on were considered by mid-level schools only and did not garner much interest from the OU's and USC's of the world. That is realistic and selective in what NU can accomplish now. We do have out there feelers for some major recruits --- but do not seem to be holding out overly for them (might snare one or two, might not --- but this is not the main thrust of the recruiting hopes). This is wise.

I agree and disagree. Ya we are going after undervalued guys with intangibles the coaches like. Ya we need a fair amount of those guys. Are we in great position to go toe-toe with the top-tier recruiting powers? No. But I think we are dangrously close to just settling. We are still freaking Nebraska. Unless we are just that damn good at evaluating and just beating other to the punch in recognizing players I'd say we could afford to be waiting on these guys.

Sorry, ya these guys will play hard but dammit we need difference makers too. We aren't opening a legit Texas pipeline by taking a bunch of 2* from there. We could always get them, hell almost any BCS-team could.

Plus you have to look at the tone we are setting for the class. We have zero recruiting-momentum thus far.

THUS FAR WE HAVEN'T BEATEN ANYONE NOTEWORTHY FOR A RECRUIT, that sets the tone for a scrappy team that just wins for than it loses, not a team that takes back the north and plays on New Years.

I see your point and realize we aren't going to be a recruiting juggernaut and have a history of success with overachievers. Ya we have recruited guys that will bleed husker-red. But history has also shown us the importance of difference-makers, we need several flat-out studs per class.

I agree and disagree. Ya we are going after undervalued guys with intangibles the coaches like. Ya we need a fair amount of those guys. Are we in great position to go toe-toe with the top-tier recruiting powers? No. But I think we are dangrously close to just settling. We are still freaking Nebraska. Unless we are just that damn good at evaluating and just beating other to the punch in recognizing players I'd say we could afford to be waiting on these guys.

Sorry, ya these guys will play hard but dammit we need difference makers too. We aren't opening a legit Texas pipeline by taking a bunch of 2* from there. We could always get them, hell almost any BCS-team could.

Plus you have to look at the tone we are setting for the class. We have zero recruiting-momentum thus far.

THUS FAR WE HAVEN'T BEATEN ANYONE NOTEWORTHY FOR A RECRUIT, that sets the tone for a scrappy team that just wins for than it loses, not a team that takes back the north and plays on New Years.

I see your point and realize we aren't going to be a recruiting juggernaut and have a history of success with overachievers. Ya we have recruited guys that will bleed husker-red. But history has also shown us the importance of difference-makers, we need several flat-out studs per class.

I agree 100%. But we do not have the national stature anymore to really well compete for certain difference makers --- the top 20-25 programs have those types of players wrapped up (and the NU program, currently and counting over say the last 5 years --- well NU is a fringe top 40 program). We might get a certain play maker, but it is not too likely, yet. What is going to have to happen is that NU wins at least some respectability these next two years or so with what they have and with the second tier talent they recruit over the next few years. At least win enough to maybe have a better shot in a few years to compete for recruits.

Taking back the North and playing on New Years day is at least three or more years out. We are "still freaking Nebraska" is something that makes sense to you and I who know the history and who have been here a while. To the typical 4-5 star kid from Florida, Texas or California Nebraska is like well.... Arizona, or Purdue, or Syracuse.... "yeah, they were all good once (I've been told, but I was 8 years old then) I guess ---- but they suck now...."

Until NU no longer sucks, then recruits will go elsewhere. We will have to live (or die) on players that the top programs would not look at. It is that simple. Hopefully we live and gain some respect and, in due course, get back. Pelini's approach seems realistic and what he is relegated to. Unlike Callahan who thought the "we take what we want," Pelini seems to be saying "we'll get everything out of what we have."

But Danimal, I share your sentiments. These are tough times for us hard-core long standing NU fans who, unlike most of America can say "yeah, but we are freaking Nebraska."

You make some good points but NU still would be better with more talent. You can say what you want about recuirting websites and that under Cally the top tier guys didn't work out. Those sites work how they are supposed to, they evaluate how they are now and a little about if they can transition to the college level. I think it was 65% of the first round in this years draft were four or five stars form Rivals. But you can tell from what the players have said that many have learned a lot more this spring. Now it might take a few years for NU to get back to a top 5 program if it ever happens but NU shouldn't settle. As of right now Michigan St, Mississippi St, Clemson, Arkansas, North Carolina, Penn St, Mizzou, Rutgers, Alabama, West Virgina, and Notre Dame all have players in the top100 of Rivals, along with the more top programs. I think realistically NU should be able to compete with most of these schools, yes I realize that some of these players are in their home state, just like Baker was last year, but they lost Robinson to ND, yes his dad was the main reason probably but he was still one of the top 3 guards in the nation and he was from NE.

To summary because I doubt that made any sense- I just don't want NU to fall because they don't have the talent. I am not worried yet and I dont think anyone should be but to be the best you have have the best. I now it might take a couple of years but if NU ever wants to get back to the top they will most likely have to get the top tier guys. How long are we willing to wait? is the question we need to ask ourselves.

:rant

I believe the staff is going after who they want and the players that have committed fit the mold of the type of player they want. While we still have to see if it is true but this staff believes they can develop players. That was an ability that the last staff DID NOT have and only three players taken in the last NFL draft reflected that. All those Callahan promises unfulfilled.

I know we have to be realistic but lets not go to extremes here.

Hell Minnesota is recruiting well. Zook has recruited well at Illinois. Sorryass Wanny has recruited well at Pitt. I can go-on. Non national-powers can be recruited-to well. When was the last time PSU did that much? Hell we were getting a fair amount of name guys pretty recently. No we aren't the late-90's 'skers but we are still a name team. We are recruiting right-now like an Iowa State, Vandy, or Duke. Don't tell me we have to settle THAT much.

We could've waited to get these lesser-known guys in summer-camp and get a really good look before offering. Then if we like the goods we offer. Guys who don't have nice offers you can slow-play a bit, guys with offers rolling-in you have to be more aggressive. Of course if we really like the kid we should offer no matter what Rivals thinks, but I think on some kids we could make really sure first.

I'm sure Bo thinks these guys are players but it seems we are lacking some in the strategy department. The coaches obviously know more about the guys they're offering than me and we do gotta trust they are players. But I have a little trouble believing we are THAT much better at evaluating than others and we'll have a class full of sleepers.

What happens if we have a surprisingly good season and start getting more love from the more highly-regarded recruits? What if we miss-out on a couple nice guys late because we filled-up too much early?

how did you guys learn how to recruit so well? I mean, like your strategies and stuff? :sarcasm

A long way to go. lets just see how it plays out. I am pretty sure our coaches have evaluated these players and see potential. WE ARE in on some players that are nationally recognized (after their junior years of high school..... )

:sarcasm

how did you guys learn how to recruit so well? I mean, like your strategies and stuff? :sarcasm

A long way to go. lets just see how it plays out. I am pretty sure our coaches have evaluated these players and see potential. WE ARE in on some players that are nationally recognized (after their junior years of high school..... )

Sorry for not partaking in a koolaid-swilling circlejerk, I thought this is what messageboard are supposed to be for. I didn't blindly buy-into Pedey and BC back when folks were bandwagoning and I won't do it for Bo either even though I like him better. Objectively speaking I gotta raise questions about what I see.

I'm not saying they didn't offer guys without reason, ya of-course they see potential. I'm just saying some of these guys they could have waited on til they got to see them at summercamp or during the coming season to be sure about them, possibly waiting on a few to see how recruiting is going and whether additional offers are needed. I have trouble believing we are just so superior at evaluating talent/potential and are into so many guys that other programs of-note and recruiting experts are overlooking. I'd have no problem with being "king of the sleeper picks" but I have to question whether all these guys are really sleepers or whether we are pumping some sunshine. Hopefully I'm dead wrong, we won't really know for a few years and see the kids play.

:sarcasm

Sorry for not partaking in a koolaid-swilling circlejerk, I thought this is what messageboard are supposed to be for. I didn't blindly buy-into Pedey and BC back when folks were bandwagoning and I won't do it for Bo either even though I like him better. Objectively speaking I gotta raise questions about what I see.

I'm not saying they didn't offer guys without reason, ya of-course they see potential. I'm just saying some of these guys they could have waited on til they got to see them at summercamp or during the coming season to be sure about them, possibly waiting on a few to see how recruiting is going and whether additional offers are needed. I have trouble believing we are just so superior at evaluating talent/potential and are into so many guys that other programs of-note and recruiting experts are overlooking. I'd have no problem with being "king of the sleeper picks" but I have to question whether all these guys are really sleepers or whether we are pumping some sunshine. Hopefully I'm dead wrong, we won't really know for a few years and see the kids play.

Good points. I don't see this staff being superior at seeing talent either. What I think is happening though is that they are seemingly scouring the tier two and tier three players (in terms of national recognition) and getting them on board early recognizing that they really have little hopes of landing many national-level recruits. In contrast, Callahan went full bore for the biggies and got everone excited --- but we landed precious few of them and, while endeavoring to land the big fish, we likely let some really good little fish go elsewhere.

Of course, Pelini would rather land big fish. That is, however, not possible given the status of the program currently. In taking these lesser known players, the risk is higher that a good percentage will not be D1 contributors. Then again, Callahans classes have ca. 50% attrition in two years --- so, even if half end up as special teamers or drop out he'll equal Callahan.

Given the cards he was dealt (a mid-conference-level program, coming off of a losing season, not having a "big win" of national import since 2001, and a program essentially off the map for 6 or so years), Pelini's approach seems grounded and realistic. In that sense, his plan is seemingly superior to that of Callahan.

Let me jump in here and say that I don't agree with either side of this discussion. I don't think the coaches are "settling" for "lesser" players or have some strategy similar to that. And I don't think the players we are getting are "lesser" players. And I don't think we can't recruit against the big boys.

It's not even June yet! The coaches are offering players the top players on their board (to use an NFL draft phrase). And a few of them have committed early. That seems like a good thing to me. If you think the players aren't good enough, that's fine, but you're essentially saying the coaches aren't picking kids who can play for our team.

Whether other teams have offered these kids is purely a matter of opportunity and need. If offers for these guys would have (and still might) come in, then that means we simply beat other teams to the punch. The coaches don't have to be "better" evaluators of talent for this to happen; they can have just seen the guy before others did. Or gotten an offer out more quickly.

I have a question for you guys, How much is Bo doing in the recuirting process?

I know at LSU he didn't do much in it just more of okayed the players on defense, I am not sure what he did at OU or at NU the first time. So when you guys are saying Bo know what he wants and is going after them, is he? or is the other staff members. I know he has to be doing something but how much is my question

I feel like some people really hang on to the star rating system and do not put anything else into recruiting. Just because a kid has a high star rating does not mean he is going to fit into a system. Do coaches make changes so kids can fit in? I am sure they do.

I trust Bo and company are doing the right things. They are offering top tier kids right now....if you were a "5-star" recruit, would you sign with a team that has a first time head coach with only one game experience and has not proven anything yet?

Excellent topic. I kind of felt the same way when we got our fifth commitment from a Texas RB who runs a blazing 4.7 40. Safeties better double lace their cleats on this guy. :sarcasm

I think the good thing here is that there is a lot of young, RS Freshmen, and sophmores left on this team who were 4 star rated that Bo has to work with. So hopefully, the "talent gap" period would not seem much noticed and maybe we could get away with a top 30 or top 40 recruiting class. But that is if Bo can get this program back in the national spotlight soon in order to appeal to the nation's best prep athletes.