WR Diante Jackson

• 4 weeks later...

Latest from Husker Journal:

JUNE 19, 2008. PREP STAR

DIANTE JACKSON, WR, 6-1, 205, 4.5, WALNUT CREEK (LAS LOMAS), CA

Diante has offers from Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Nebraska, California, Colorado, Arizona State and others.

“California Junior Day’s was nice it was close to home. The coaches are cool down to earth. The academics at California are very good.” said Diante, “California facilities are OK, they are trying to build some new facilities.”

“I like Colorado, the cold weather. I like the atmosphere from what I see on the Internet. I really like Coach Kiesau I call him now and then.” he said

“I like to check out Oregon.” said Diante, “I’ve seen on the Internet their facilities are great, but they don’t win games it’s more than that. Oregon coaches said I can play early but all schools say that, you have to earn a spot.” said Diante

“I want to take all five visits. Check everything out, the coaches, the atmosphere.”

“I’ve never been out of California so I have no leaders to base anything on. I want to see the schools, the coaches and have a relationship with the wide receiver coach. he said”

“I call the Arizona State coach once in awhile. I like the coaches at Arizona State they are friends of my coaches here.”

“I call Coach Gilmore (Nebraska) once in awhile. Gilmore is really a nice guy. He told me they (Nebraska) wanted a big wide receiver. Nebraska wants me to play the X receiver. Next year I will play the Z and move around more, put me in motion, should be a lot of fun. They (Nebraska) have been recruiting me for a month or two.” said Diante

“Coach Gilmore said I had a chance to play early too. I like Nebraska’s tradition, its big time football. The coaching staff is really good. I probably will visit them in the fall.” he said

you know he is keeping the wait and see attitude that many prospects have also had.

You have to think that if we have success on the field we should start realing them in.

I agree. This staff isnt' long on snake-oil and spin. But I think when a different husker team hits the field and kicks some ass recruits will see that the straight-talk is backed-up and be hyped about the direction of the program.

Plus in the case of Diante I think the commit of an elite qb in Green, Scheelhaase, or Mossakowski could help. Major qb's are headturners that create a buzz that can help attract other guys, I think that would be amplified in the case of the guys the 4*qb would be tossing to.

• 2 months later...

He gone:

Oregon on top for Jackson after visit

Walnut Creek (Calif.) Las Lomas wide receiver Diante Jackson took his first official visit two weeks ago to check out the Oregon Ducks. The trip went great and Jackson gave serious thought to ending the recruiting process right there, but the athlete will take two more visits before pulling the trigger.

Jackson, 6-2, 200 pounds, is one of the top players in the region and had a big junior season a year ago. The receiver caught 65 balls for 1,276 yards and 19 touchdowns to earn all-area and 2nd team all-state underclass honors.

"My trip to Oregon was great," Jackson said. "I took an unofficial there in the summer, so this was my second time checking out the place. Basically I liked everything about the visit, there wasn't one single negative about the trip.

"The weather was great, I got along well with everyone, I bonded well with all the coaches, I love the fan support and of course the facilities there are incredible. Chris Harper was my host and he was real cool to hang out with.

"Markus Wheaton was there with me and we both talked about committing but I really want to see a few places before I do that. I'm going to Arizona State (Sept. 19) and Colorado (Oct. 4). Those will likely be my last visits and then I'll be ready to make my decision. Oregon is my top school right now though."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So apparently this guy is still in play. He visited Colorado and was going to switch to them but now he is waiting until the end of the season:

Oregon commit Jackson will weigh his options after season

When we talked with wide receiver Diante Jackson (Walnut Creek, Calif./Las Lomas) Sunday night, he said he planned to make an announcement on his college choice within 24 hours.

Jackson, an early commitment for Oregon, visited Colorado over the weekend and gave all kinds of signs that he was on the verge of switching his pledge to the Buffs. That still could happen but it won't be in the immediate future.

"I talked to my coach on Monday and we decided I should wait until after my season is over before doing anything," Jackson said. "I just want to wait things out a little bit more and give it some more thought, make sure I'm not rushing in to anything."

The comments were somewhat surprising seeing how Jackson said he was 100 percent sure of his choice just a day earlier.

"I think my coach just doesn't want anything to distract from the season," Jackson said. "We have a big game this weekend and if we win, we're in the playoffs. If we lose, we're out. Once our season is done, then I'll be ready to make my choice.

Would be nice to get him in for a visit if Nebraska is still interested.

• 1 month later...

Committed to Colorado:

It took awhile, but Jackson is finally a Buffalo

Friday, January 2, 2009

Posted by Greg Biggins

It took a lot longer than expected, but wideout Diante Jackson (Walnut Creek, Calif./Las Lomas) decommitted from Oregon and will sign with Colorado.

Jackson had been hinting that a change was coming in his commitment ever since he returned from his visit to Boulder way back in early November. In fact, upon returning from Colorado, he said he would likely make a decision within 48 hours.

"I just wanted to make sure everyone around me was comfortable with my choice," Jackson said. "I knew Colorado was the place for me while I was on my visit and never once doubted I would end up there.

"I took some time to talk things over with my coaches and my family and the timing just felt right to do it now. For me, the comfort level I had at Colorado put them over the top. I love the coaches and players and I love the area as well.

"Oregon was a great fit for me too and they have a great program as well. The coaches treated me very well but I just had to go where I felt I would be most comfortable and for me, that was Colorado."