face of NU

Interesting topic ESPN has.

http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/3376719

I would have to say Osborne without a question, I wonder if most people around the country would still think that or not. Also can of interesting to think of what other's would be. What I am thinking of is mostly the head coach of their football team.

In my opinion (and keep in mind I'm a Jayhawk fan) Tom Osborne is the greatest CFB coach ever. I would have Killed to have him at KU. He needs to coach again....heck, if the old cript keeper at PSU is still coachin, then by god Osborne can do it! I mean, why now? :dunno

Fabled Coach: TOM OSBORNE

Legendary Player: Tommie Frazier or Brooke Berringer

A Memorial Play: The punt return from the Game of the Century or Eric Crouch Miracle Catch against OU

A Unique Mascot: Lil' Red

I would agree 100% with you on the legendary players, however, i think nationally more people would associate Eric Crouch more so then Berringer. Unfortunately Crouch is more rememberd for how many times he has quit the game then anything else.

Play: I think the Mizzou Catch (or no catch I dont want to get into it) might be more memorable.

A Memorial Play: The punt return from the Game of the Century or Eric Crouch Miracle Catch against OU

I'm not buying this whole Berringer thing....sure he was a great QB and all that....but if it weren't for the tragic event that took his life.....would we be saying that he is the face of the program? NO probably not.

I'm not buying this whole Berringer thing....sure he was a great QB and all that....but if it weren't for the tragic event that took his life.....would we be saying that he is the face of the program? NO probably not.

The guy flat out personifies what it means to play for Nebraska for any sport. And if he were alive today his tale of a guy being called on to do his duty, and then performing it above and beyond would still be legendary. It's really too bad that it seems to be lost on a lot of supporters.

You're probably right, but then again I think it would have depended on what kind of pro career he had. If he would have lived, most say he gets drafted by the 4th round. If he has a pretty good pro career, then yeah he would have been right up there for face of the program. I think we're being a little too narrow minded though in terms of legendary players. How about Rozier? Rogers? Tagge?

This will probably depend somewhat on your age.

Coach -Since I am getting to be an old man, I would go with Devaney over T.O, in a close call. People seem to only remember Tom and his last 5 years, and not remember his first 20 with no NCs, the label as the guy who couldn't win the big game etc. Besides that he almost got fired in the 70s and many people would have liked to have run him out of town when he went to Boulder to see about the CU job. Of course NU fans started a petition to get Devaney fired as well.

Player - Again being older there is only one choice - Johnny the Jet Rodgers, imo the most exciting college football player ever.

Play - The Jets punt return vs OU in 71 or maybe Tagge streching over the goal in the Orange Bowl to get NU its first NC.

post-4426-1213293460.png post-4426-1213293724.gif post-4426-1213293783.gif