Strength of non-conference schedule

One guy's opinion (ArmchairGM.com)

It must be true. It was on the internet.

Kansas

FIU, August 30

Louisiana Tech, September 6

@ South Florida, September 13

Sam Houston St, September 20

One great game against USF doesn't make up for another season of scheduling down in every other game.

Kansas St

North Texas, August 30

Montana St, September 6

@ Louisville, September 17

Louisiana Lafayette, September 27

The Wildcats get a spot here for wussing out of an opening game against Fresno St, not to mention scheduling down in three games like their Sunflower State rival above.

Texas Tech

Eastern Washington, August 30

@ Nevada, September 6

SMU, September 13

Massachusetts, September 20

The best Texas Tech team in years will be playing one of the weakest non-conference slates. Embarrassing and sad.

He also had NU vs VTech as the 5th best non-conference game.

One guy's opinion (ArmchairGM.com)

It must be true. It was on the internet.

Kansas

FIU, August 30

Louisiana Tech, September 6

@ South Florida, September 13

Sam Houston St, September 20

One great game against USF doesn't make up for another season of scheduling down in every other game.

Kansas St

North Texas, August 30

Montana St, September 6

@ Louisville, September 17

Louisiana Lafayette, September 27

The Wildcats get a spot here for wussing out of an opening game against Fresno St, not to mention scheduling down in three games like their Sunflower State rival above.

Texas Tech

@ Nevada, September 6

SMU, September 13

The best Texas Tech team in years will be playing one of the weakest non-conference slates. Embarrassing and sad.

He also had NU vs VTech as the 5th best non-conference game.

I will say outside of USF KU's non conference schedule is weak...but good god!! Have you seen the rest of KU's schedule!?! I think you're a little too hard on KU.

KU plays @OU, Texas, Texas Tech, @Nebraska, Missouri (@Arrowhead) and @ South Florida. Several websites have the Kansas schedule as the toughest in the nation. You may want to revise your comments. 3 cupcakes isn't bad, compared to what they'll face. NU's non conference scheduleis by no means harder than KU's. South Florida would beat V-Tech by 2 TD's. Virginia Tech LOST EVERYBODY from last year-accept of course they're crappy QB's. I think Nebraska will beat them.

I'm just hoping it's Glennon starting at QB and not Taylor. I'm sure the coaches will gameplan for both though

From what I've seen on their message boards it looks like they're likely to stay with a 2 QB rotation- but I agree Glennon is the one you want to start. He made some STUPID decisions in the Orange Bowl last year. I think Nebraska will be able to apply pressure to force him into some bad situations.

I will say outside of USF KU's non conference schedule is weak...but good god!! Have you seen the rest of KU's schedule!?! I think you're a little too hard on KU.

KU plays @OU, Texas, Texas Tech, @Nebraska, Missouri (@Arrowhead) and @ South Florida. Several websites have the Kansas schedule as the toughest in the nation. You may want to revise your comments. 3 cupcakes isn't bad, compared to what they'll face. NU's non conference scheduleis by no means harder than KU's. South Florida would beat V-Tech by 2 TD's. Virginia Tech LOST EVERYBODY from last year-accept of course they're crappy QB's. I think Nebraska will beat them.

He was only comparing non-conference opponents - the ones you can pick each year. And Mangino thought he was getting 4 cupcakes :lol:

I think NU used to have the best formula. One fairly easy, one traditional power and a couple of BCS conference moderates. I think NU is returning to this. Teams that overload their schedules with perenial powers are crazy. I have no problems with weak teams following the Bill Snyder method - he was successful scheduling Division III, high school and coed flag football teams, as long as they up grade their opponents as they become stronger and not whine when they get no respect if they don't up grade.

And remember the schedules (except for teams that duck out) are set years in advance. You don't control who your conference opponents will be. But there was a strong indication that SMU, UMass, directional Washington would be extremely weak. Even Nevada only recently has become a moderate challenge.

NU will not be favored against Va Tech. I agree that Glennon is the one that a Husker would want to see start, but I am pretty sure Taylor will be redshirted. Nebraska will get smacked in the face by our defense in 2008 with our offense doing nothing behind Glennon. In 2009, it will be a blowout with Tyrod Taylor dominating.

NU will not be favored against Va Tech. I agree that Glennon is the one that a Husker would want to see start, but I am pretty sure Taylor will be redshirted. Nebraska will get smacked in the face by our defense in 2008 with our offense doing nothing behind Glennon. In 2009, it will be a blowout with Tyrod Taylor dominating.

No offense Hokie Nation but I really like Nebraska's chance against you guys. Is the game in Lincoln? If so I can see the hokies getting beat. You're defense lost a lot of key guys. And your offense scares no one.

No offense Hokie Nation but I really like Nebraska's chance against you guys. Is the game in Lincoln? If so I can see the hokies getting beat. You're defense lost a lot of key guys. And your offense scares no one.

Va Tech plays great defense every year!

Unfortunately, there were some people that "liked" our chances against USC last year in our backyard. The only good thing about playing Va Tech over USC is that their offense isn't nearly as potent. This should keep us in the game longer than the 1/2 to 1 quarter USC toyed with us last year. Hopefully, we can gain some momentum and swagger as the game goes on. I like our chances against Va Tech a lot more than I did last year, but then again I also reserve judgement to see how we actually play in the opener. I would like to think we will if nothing else be a lot more physical than we were last year.

Texas Tech

@ Nevada, September 6

SMU, September 13

mostly agree *except* for the SMU game. june jones just took over there.

be interesting to see a jones v. leach.

Texas Tech

@ Nevada, September 6

SMU, September 13

mostly agree *except* for the SMU game. june jones just took over there.

be interesting to see a jones v. leach.

I bet that SMU vs. Texas Tech will be one of those 3 yards and a cloud of dust games.