Interesting talent data

I stole the below from another board. It validates what I have been saying all along --- Pelini is inheriting far less talent than did Callahan --- and that the talent level at NU after Callahan is worse than it was when Callahan arrived.

I saw this posted over on BigRedReport by most excellent poster HuskerDynasty :

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts. I guess we'll have to wait four years to see if Bo has that many, but it's pretty safe to assume it won't be much different than that. In fact, if you look at all-Big 12 selections, Bo is coming into a much worse situation talent-wise. Bo is inheriting 1 2nd team All Big 12 and 4 Honorable Mentions. Callahan inherited 3 All Americans, 4 1st team All Big 12, 1 2nd team and 5 HM.

Callahan inherited seven heralded players (All American or 1st team all conference) and left Pelini with 0.

Zero. Nada. Not one.

People forget that in Callahan's recruiting classes ca. 1/2 the players who were highly rated are gone (did not make grades, discipline trouble, washed out, or did not pan out). Also, the vast majority of the high profile players that NU courted (and in so doing got everyone so enamored of Callahan's recruiting ability) chose another school with NU as the # 2 option. The impression is that of great recruiting --- the reality is very different.

Pelini has inherited a team with mid-conference talent, perhaps in the # 5-7 range in the Big 12 and no better than the top 35 or so nationally.

Bear this in mind as Pelini goes into this season. Seven wins will be quite, quite the challenge --- and Pelini is a great coach --- he may get NU there --- may get 7 wins --- but expect no more (hope for, sure --- expect, no, that would not be realistic).

it goes into teaching/developing those players as well

Well, sure. I agree. Pelini is likely to be much better than Callahan in terms of getting performance out of his players.

Equating this to poker --- Pelini is the superior poker player to Callahan but Callahan had better cards to work with. That is, Pelini will manage his hand well but his cards are really rather weak (compared to the cards that Callahan inherited). Until Pelini has a better hand to play with, expect no more than 7 wins a season. He will, I'd expect, play his hand expertly --- he just needs better cards to play with.

i dont think you can use all americans/ all big 12 to gauge talent- those things are heavily swayed by the teams win loss record.

now the nfl signings is interesting, but we will have to see in the next 4 years about that.

It IS interesting though that our best team had quite a few solich recruits on it. That class that they had coming in that Callahan managed to keep everyone turned out to be really good (most of the last minute cally adds didnt really turn out, i dont think, although ganz might have been one).

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts

My question would be, what rating did those guys have coming to NU and who coached them? I wonder how many of those guys were deemed "average" players by recruiting guru's only to become phenomenal players while under the tutelage of Solich and staff (namely Pelini during his one-year here). Additionally, how many of those 26 players are still with the NFL

Nebraska has never been one to dote on 4 and 5 star recruits. Instead, we take average players other teams may overlook and we develop them into players other teams wished they had. My guess (and hope) is that is the philosophy Pelini is taking.

IMO, NU fans became to enamored with recruit ratings while Callahan was here and forgot what NU football is/was really about.

I stole the below from another board. It validates what I have been saying all along --- Pelini is inheriting far less talent than did Callahan --- and that the talent level at NU after Callahan is worse than it was when Callahan arrived.

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts. I guess we'll have to wait four years to see if Bo has that many, but it's pretty safe to assume it won't be much different than that. In fact, if you look at all-Big 12 selections, Bo is coming into a much worse situation talent-wise. Bo is inheriting 1 2nd team All Big 12 and 4 Honorable Mentions. Callahan inherited 3 All Americans, 4 1st team All Big 12, 1 2nd team and 5 HM.

Callahan inherited seven heralded players (All American or 1st team all conference) and left Pelini with 0.

Zero. Nada. Not one.

People forget that in Callahan's recruiting classes ca. 1/2 the players who were highly rated are gone (did not make grades, discipline trouble, washed out, or did not pan out). Also, the vast majority of the high profile players that NU courted (and in so doing got everyone so enamored of Callahan's recruiting ability) chose another school with NU as the # 2 option. The impression is that of great recruiting --- the reality is very different.

Pelini has inherited a team with mid-conference talent, perhaps in the # 5-7 range in the Big 12 and no better than the top 35 or so nationally.

Bear this in mind as Pelini goes into this season. Seven wins will be quite, quite the challenge --- and Pelini is a great coach --- he may get NU there --- may get 7 wins --- but expect no more (hope for, sure --- expect, no, that would not be realistic).

Well, keep in mind that the best Callahan could do with the "talent" he inherited was losing in the Big 12 Championship by two touchdowns. The rest of his seasons were either average, or losing seasons. What does this tell me? It tells me that the way in which "talent" is measured is a joke.

NU needs to find individuals who will fit in with what the coaches are specifically trying to do on offense and defense. If this means that they are 4 or 5 star recruits that's fine. If it means going after 2 or 3 star recruits, that's fine too. What am I trying to say? I feel that getting that "fit" into the system is far more important than how many stars some website arbitrarily assigns to each player or how many players go pro.

This is interesting, but as a previous person said, this may be a little skewed. Keep in mind we were coming off a 10 win season and (although we were on the downside) still considered a perennial national power. Of course, we got players on the 1st/2nd team. Now we are coming off a losing season, so the powers that be are not going to load up the honors with players from our team.

Also, keep in mind that this time last year this board was EXPLODING with praise for Callahan and how great we were going to be. It is easy to say Cally was the root of all of our problems and now that he is gone everything will be good again, but the reality is that Cally was probably not as good as we thought last year, but he is probably not as bad as he is now vilified. (don't get be wrong, I'm thrilled to see him go, especially with Bo at the helm) I'm just saying that one coaching change isn't likely to fix everything. It took us 6 years to get to this point, we should expect it to take at least 3 to get back where we want to be.

Zero. Nada. Not one.

My question is who do U have beating us At home? even if we Loose to Vt, Mizzou,TT, OU, And Kansas, that would mean we would have to loose to either Iowa state, Baylor,Kstate, cu, W.Michigan,San Jose state,or new mexico state to have worse then a 7 win record

I considered myself a patient man when I waited 4 years for Callahan to turn this team around....now I gotta wait another 3-4?? A man's patience can only go so far. When will the waiting stop!

Having said that, I'm willing to give Pelini as much time as he needs. I like his style and have the utmost confidence in him.

WE have a winner. That is what is needed. The attitude that it will happen, and if does this year, frippn great, it it takes two or three and we see that it is coming, great. Love the team and the program, but understand their abilities and strenghts and shortfalls.