How does having a big walk-on program help the team in terms of wins and losses??

I know it's a big tradition but I'm trying to piece together and figure out in my mind, how does having a bunch of Div II talent on the sidelines help Nebraska become a championship team. Or does it not. It's just a sentimental thing for some small town kid to where a jersey but would probably never get to see the field. He's just a punching bag for the 4 star lineman from Texas or something.

The University of Nebraska long has had a storied tradition of winning. Since 1969, the program has won at least nine games a season. The Cornhuskers opened a record run of 39 winning seasons — including last fall — in 1962.

One of the reasons the Cornhuskers have been so good — so consistent — for so long, is their unique walk-on system. Each year, the coaching staff recruits players from the state to come to the university, not offering scholarships, but instead offering the chance to suit up for the legendary Big 12 program.

"When you're growing up in the state of Nebraska, the only (Division I) college team you can root for in the area is the University of Nebraska," said Brian Washington, a defensive graduate assistant for the Cornhuskers. "For some, it would be a dream come true to be part of this program.

"We happen to have a lot of guys who would do anything to be part of the Nebraska program. It so happens that these guys are very talented football players. "They would rather walk on here than go play at a Division II or Division III school."

The majority of Nebraska's walk-on players don't just show up and ask for a jersey — most are recruited to walk on, and some even sign a letter of intent to play with the Cornhuskers. That, coupled with the 30 to 35 freshmen that show up in the summer, makes for an expansive program with many players eager to shine in the red and white.

One of Nebraska's best known recent walk-ons is Joel Makovicka, who played extensively for the NFL's Arizona Cardinals in 1999 and 2000, starting the majority of games at fullback. Makovicka wanted to be a Cornhusker, regardless of offers from other schools.

Makovicka followed his brother, Jeff, in becoming a Cornhusker. Jeff made the team as a walk-on in 1992, and, partially because of his success, the younger sibling Joel received offers from Division I schools. Still, Joel said he wanted to become a Cornhusker. He walked on, and earned a scholarship after 1995, his first year with the team.

"There was always this feeling when you're growing up in Nebraska that if you played good football and would always compete, you would get the chance to play in front of all those people in Lincoln," Makovicka said in a teleconference call from Tempe, Ariz.

That is what makes the walk-on program so appealing, according to Washington.

"With the knowledge of our coaching staff, if you're fortunate enough to get some playing time as a walk-on, you have a very excellent chance at earning a scholarship," he said.

"We usually take 25 who might see action in the games, but some years we've had anywhere from 50 to 75 who see action on the scout team and help out in practice."

Perhaps the greatest advantage of the walk-on program is not simply landing players like the Makovickas, who turn out to be stars. The dozens of other walk-ons often make terrific scout team players and help make practices spirited.

Tom Osborne's theory wasn't that he could dramatically increase the level of talent on the team by spending time, money and resources on walk-ons. The idea was/is that most of the super talented players from across the country don't have any ties or loyalty to the program when they arrive. Most probably have an entitlement mentality. By surrounding those players with walk-ons who have lived and died for the Huskers their entire lives, everyone on the team understands what an honor it is to play for the Huskers. The team becomes one that doesn't care about stats or personal accolades, only about competing at a level worthy of the uniform and the helmet.

Wins are sweeter and losses are harder to swallow. Going out on the weekends and having social lives becomes secondary to preparing for the next opponent. Guys are living in the weight room and killing themselves on the practice field just so they can play special teams their senior year. That attitude spreads to the entire team. No self respecting scholarship player would be willing to lose their position because they were out-worked by a walk-on. Every year or so there will be a significant contributor who used to be a walk-on and the talk isn't that he was an overlooked 'diamond in the rough' type player. Everyone recognizes the player's heart and toughness as the reason they're seeing the field. This promotes trust in the coaching staff and the system. Every player believes that if they work hard enough they can earn a spot on the field.

The young players see this when they come into the program. Solid leadership is established by players who value playing, not just for a div. 1 football team, but for Nebraska. And a culture of training and competing the 'right' way is established and maintained.

That's the idea anyway...

I know it's a big tradition but I'm trying to piece together and figure out in my mind, how does having a bunch of Div II talent on the sidelines help Nebraska become a championship team. Or does it not. It's just a sentimental thing for some small town kid to where a jersey but would probably never get to see the field. He's just a punching bag for the 4 star lineman from Texas or something.

Get real. If the walk-on program is as you see it, then of course NU would've never taken that route through the years. Since there's been 5 national titles, many other near misses, and great seasons, your idea of what the walk on program is and has been over the years is quite misguided.

Get real. If the walk-on program is as you see it, then of course NU would've never taken that route through the years. Since there's been 5 national titles, many other near misses, and great seasons, your idea of what the walk on program is and has been over the years is quite misguided.

Ummmm...........I didn't have an idea of the walk on program, otherwise I would of never asked this question.

First off the idea that Nebraska kids are only punching bags for talent from other places is total bunk. This state has produced plenty of great football talent. During the glory years of the nineties I think the team was something like 85% Nebraska kids. What's that tell you?? Football is still a team sport and all of that Out-of-State talent would have gone absolutely nowhere without the great linemen this state has produced, for example.

One of the biggest advantages of the walk on program is you get great UNDISCOVERED players showing up for camp. Nebraska once had a reputation for taking those unnoticed players and developing them. When you have 100 walk ons on your team, you're bound to get 10 or 15 who can compete at the D1 level that nobody else in the country even noticed.

Well the walk-on program has placed nearly 50 players into the NFL.

I think TO recruited players for HIS system, they matured and developed and became on the average a one maybe two year starter.

It worked back then, will it work today, only time will tell.

I like the walk-on program if for nothing else the repetitions the younger players get against similar talent levels providing key depth, even if they don't materialize into starters. That has been severly lacking the last five years.

Ummmm...........I didn't have an idea of the walk on program, otherwise I would of never asked this question.

So you were serious?

I thought you were just trying to get a rise out of the 25 and over crowd.

Most of these walk-ons aren't exactly unknowns (Except maybe the occasional I.M. Hipp)

When I was a HS Jr., My cousin was being recruited after taking part in 2 or 3 summer camps..But the remaining scholarship earmarked for instate talent came down to him and (nearby rival) Minden's Kris VanNorman.

The knock against my cousin was that he was a step too slow for a split end, so he worked several hours each night improving his speed..Ended up taking the all class 100M dash at the state meet and became the 1st Nebraska high schooler to triple jump over 50' (Still holds the State record last I checked).

I think his only other offer came from Army, but he decided to walk-on (And took a track scholarship his freshman year) after Tom offered Kris..

Both my Cousin and Kris VanNorman became 3 year starters. (S.E. and Monster Back respectively).

If the team has numerous injuries, you have a large talent pool to pull from that have taken reps.

It adds depth, NU ran two offense and two defenses at the same time in practice, thus backups get more reps and are better. This is why scores were so bad, despite subs and running the ball, the offense scored points. More competition in practice means better teams! Nearly all FBs were walkons, that earned their ships, and you wonder why they were so good. Most were former 8 man RBs that loved BIG RED football. Running game didn't need 6'6" OL, so guys could come in here 6'1"-6'3" and be good at drive blocking. Ever wondered why the old Husker Power program didn't emphasize bench press? We ran the ball and leg strength and explosion produced by power cleans and squats aided that more that benching, which was more for a passing team. the new system won't be the same, but hopefully it will be modernized!

If the team has numerous injuries, you have a large talent pool to pull from that have taken reps.

It adds depth, NU ran two offense and two defenses at the same time in practice, thus backups get more reps and are better. This is why scores were so bad, despite subs and running the ball, the offense scored points. More competition in practice means better teams! Nearly all FBs were walkons, that earned their ships, and you wonder why they were so good. Most were former 8 man RBs that loved BIG RED football. Running game didn't need 6'6" OL, so guys could come in here 6'1"-6'3" and be good at drive blocking. Ever wondered why the old Husker Power program didn't emphasize bench press? We ran the ball and leg strength and explosion produced by power cleans and squats aided that more that benching, which was more for a passing team. the new system won't be the same, but hopefully it will be modernized!

Good point

Tom Osborne's theory wasn't that he could dramatically increase the level of talent on the team by spending time, money and resources on walk-ons. The idea was/is that most of the super talented players from across the country don't have any ties or loyalty to the program when they arrive. Most probably have an entitlement mentality. By surrounding those players with walk-ons who have lived and died for the Huskers their entire lives, everyone on the team understands what an honor it is to play for the Huskers. The team becomes one that doesn't care about stats or personal accolades, only about competing at a level worthy of the uniform and the helmet.

Wins are sweeter and losses are harder to swallow. Going out on the weekends and having social lives becomes secondary to preparing for the next opponent. Guys are living in the weight room and killing themselves on the practice field just so they can play special teams their senior year. That attitude spreads to the entire team. No self respecting scholarship player would be willing to lose their position because they were out-worked by a walk-on. Every year or so there will be a significant contributor who used to be a walk-on and the talk isn't that he was an overlooked 'diamond in the rough' type player. Everyone recognizes the player's heart and toughness as the reason they're seeing the field. This promotes trust in the coaching staff and the system. Every player believes that if they work hard enough they can earn a spot on the field.

The young players see this when they come into the program. Solid leadership is established by players who value playing, not just for a div. 1 football team, but for Nebraska. And a culture of training and competing the 'right' way is established and maintained.

That's the idea anyway...

Well said.