Signature Win

I remember a lot of the criticism Callahan underwent during his time here was based around his inability to produce a so-called "signature win," or defeat a ranked opponent of some merit to show that Nebraska could compete with the best in the game. Now that we've got Coach Bo and a schedule ripe with talented top-tier teams to face off against, I'm wondering which ones would fans think qualify as a signature win? Does Bo need a signature win anytime soon? Why or why not?

I think it would be nice to pull off a strong defensive victory against Mizzou, Texas Tech, or Oklahoma. It would be hard for pundits to rationalize away a victory of that caliber considering the talent present at those schools. I wouldn't say it's necessary for Bo to drop a top ten opponent this season for fan support to stay at its present strength, but I think it would go a long way in comforting the few nay sayers who doubt Nebraska will ever rise back into prominence again.

So, signature win, yes or no? Which teams and why?

I yield the floor.

I remember a lot of the criticism Callahan underwent during his time here was based around his inability to produce a so-called "signature win," or defeat a ranked opponent of some merit to show that Nebraska could compete with the best in the game. Now that we've got Coach Bo and a schedule ripe with talented top-tier teams to face off against, I'm wondering which ones would fans think qualify as a signature win? Does Bo need a signature win anytime soon? Why or why not?

I think it would be nice to pull off a strong defensive victory against Mizzou, Texas Tech, or Oklahoma. It would be hard for pundits to rationalize away a victory of that caliber considering the talent present at those schools. I wouldn't say it's necessary for Bo to drop a top ten opponent this season for fan support to stay at its present strength, but I think it would go a long way in comforting the few nay sayers who doubt Nebraska will ever rise back into prominence again.

I yield the floor.

Bo and the Huskers need to take VT to the mat...it doesn't even have to be a win as long as its close with 100% physical effort and hustle...The team needs it and the fans really need it. If the Huskers win or, at the very least, make a game of it against a good, well coached VT team (undermanned or not)...Game On! If we come out and play with no intensity and get blown out....game over!

I yield the floor.

Bo and the Huskers need to take VT to the mat...it doesn't even have to be a win as long as its close with 100% physical effort and hustle...The team needs it and the fans really need it. If the Huskers win or, at the very least, make a game of it against a good, well coached VT team (undermanned or not)...Game On! If we come out and play with no intensity and get blown out....game over!

Very important word there..............................your transformation is almost complete!

I yield the floor.

Very important word there..............................your transformation is almost complete!

You don't know the power of the dark side of the force.

darth-vader.jpg

"Does Bo need a signature win anytime soon? Why or why not?"

No, not really. In fact, I'm not so sure what defines a sig win. When Dr. Tom Osborne beat OU in '78, it wasnt a sig win, but it got monkey off his back a little bit. Same thing goes for UT's Mack Brown finally beating OU. But for both of them, it wasnt until they won a championship - those were signature wins to me, in a way saying "they've arrived, they etched there names in history.. thus, a signature win". Until then, a big win doesnt mean much if you slip up and lose the following week.

That's my take.

"Signature wins" are overrated and unimportant IMO.

agreed, I think it's the wrong way of thinking too. It definitely isn't the way that this staff thinks. I mean Bo says every time "I want to win them all."

Oh and, nothing will shut up Mark May, especially when it concerns us.

Even if the Huskers take VT to the mat, there will be those that say VT has a lot of injuries so it really wasn't a VT team...the only way we get people looking at the Huskers as "the old Huskers" were is to kick butt at KU and win in Missouri, even if it is close. People are used to seeing Nebraska winning against certain teams...and that is what they came to expect. It isn't so much about non-conference games right now as it is the conference games for Nebraska. If we can't win at home, then we can't win the votes of the people that do the polls.

Most signature wins are defined until at least a few months later upon reflection. Some are obvious, like TO's OB win vs Miami, the next year vs FLA, and then vs. Tenn in '97.

At the time, the win vs. OU in '78 WAS a signature win; probably vs. Alabama in '77, too.

Look at Solich at Ohio- so far his signature win is vs. Pitt in his first year.

Does Bo NEED one? No. I think he'll get one, though. I think we may even blow out VT, while MIZZ, KU, and CU are quite winnable, and TT, and OU are possibilities.