Nebraska 14 point favorites over Western Michigan

Hmmm...only 14 points?? I realize last season was a complete and total blunder, but I gotta believe that we are going to take out a year's worth of frustration out on these broncos. No disrespect to their program, but I just feel that, talent wise, WMU isn't on the same level as Nebraska. Come August 30th, I am expecting to see a beat down. :)

Hmmm...only 14 points?? I realize last season was a complete and total blunder, but I gotta believe that we are going to take out a year's worth of frustration out on these broncos. No disrespect to their program, but I just feel that, talent wise, WMU isn't on the same level as Nebraska. Come August 30th, I am expecting to see a beat down. :)

Phil Steele has Western Michigan rated higher than Nebraska for preseason. I don't think they will be awesome, but they might be better than some expect. Nebraska always plays much better at home than on the road, I think 14 points is a fair assesment.

Its early. The spread will get bigger as more Husker money jumps in.

That may be, but Vegas is one of the least biased sources with the initial lines. WHen money talks, people's biases are reduced. That is not true of fans so much, but Vegas line guys are about $$$...

I think it is fair, WMU is not that bad, and it well tell us a lot about if Nebreaska is as good as some people think. It think they may cover, but I think it is a fair assessment of where an unbiased observer ssees NU at season start.

BTW, Western Michigan lost to Central Michigan at WMU last year, so I just thought I would point this out to the KU only plyed chumpsd crowd, these teams are not that bad, they just are not great either.

If Nebraska is a really good team, I would think they would put it to these guys though...

Last year, Mizzou and WV whipped these guys, and were good teams. Indiana and Iowa beat them by a little, and they were only mediocre teams. (7-5/7-6)

Last year, Mizzou and WV whipped these guys, and were good teams. Indiana and Iowa beat them by a little, and they were only mediocre teams. (7-5/7-6)

We got whipped by Mizzou also. W. Michigan beat Iowa last year (28-19).

LINK

Western Michigan is returning 7 starters on the offense*, 10 starters on defense, and no K/P. Nebraska is returning 5 starters on offense, 6 starters on defense, and 2 K/P. (* Denotes starting QB returning)

Last year there were 9 teams in the NCAA that had 18 or more returning starters and 7 of the 9 improved their record from 2006. Making the list were teams like Virginia which went from 5-7 to 9-3 and Florida Atlantic which went from 5-7 to Sun Belt Champs. Teams with 17 returning starters included Central Florida which went from 4-8 to CUSA Champs and Illinois which went from 2-10 to the Rose Bowl.

There were 33 teams last year that had 12 or fewer returning starters and of the 33 only 8 managed to improve their record. Some of the less experienced teams that really dropped last year included Notre Dame which had just 9 returning starters and went from the Sugar Bowl to 3-9! Nebraska went from 9-4 to 5-7 with just 11 returning starters and Northern Illinois with 12 returning starters went from 7-6 to 2-10.

LINK

Best Offensive Player: Senior WR Jamarko Simmons. If he's not the biggest wide receiver in the country, then someone else is calling a tight end a wideout. The 6-2, 234-pound Simmons might be built a bit like a fullback, but he has good speed, nice hands, and a nasty competitive streak, for good and bad. He started out last season as the nation's hottest receiver with 38 catches in his first three games and finished with 84 grabs for 980 yards and six touchdowns. He'll be an All-MAC star and Hiller's favorite target once again

Best Defensive Player: Senior CB Londen Fryar. The son of former NFL star Irving Fryar has developed into a premier MAC cover-corner and top pro prospect. A good tackler with excellent speed, the 5-11, 192-pound senior got better in coverage last year with 16 broken up passes. (Another 2nd generation Husker alumn. Did we recruit this guy?)

The defense should be a killer. Even though it wasn't the jailbreak pass rushing group of 2006, when Ameer Ismail was hitting every quarterback that moved, the D still put up decent numbers in the backfield and did a good job against the pass. The run defense needs to be a little bit more stout, and it should be.

The offense will keep pace with everyone through the air, and it has a good back in Brandon West to work with. There's no reason Tim Hiller and the passing attack can't put up 300 yards or more on anyone other than the top secondaries with Jamarko Simmons, Schneider Julien, and TE Branden Ledbetter as dangerous as any trio in the MAC.

2007 Schedule

CFN Prediction: 6-6

2007 Record: 5-7

Sept. 1 at W Virginia L 62-24

Sept. 8 Indiana L 37-27

Sept. 15 at Missouri L 52-24

Sept. 22 Cent Conn. St W 51-14

Sept. 29 at Toledo W 42-28

Oct. 6 Akron L 39-38

Oct. 13 at No Illinois W 17-13

Oct. 20 Ball State L 27-23

Oct. 27 at Eastern Mich L 19-2