Big 12 Non-Conference Games

The best nonconference games:

1. Missouri-Illinois (at St. Louis), Aug. 30: The "Border War" was settled in the final minute last year and could be even better this time.

2. Kansas at South Florida, Sept. 12: This game could be tougher than any the Jayhawks faced in their magical 2007 season -- including their finale against Missouri.

3. West Virginia at Colorado, Sept. 18: Could this be Darrell Scott's national coming out party?

4. Virginia Tech at Nebraska, Sept. 27: Cornhuskers are 9-2 at home against ACC teams and could be ready to spring an upset over the Hokies in Bo Pelini's first major nonconference test.

5. Miami at Texas A&M, Sept. 20: This game was big for new A&M coach Mike Sherman, even before A&M president Elsa Murano asked for a victory as a special personal favor.

6. TCU at Okahoma, Sept. 27: The Horned Frogs knocked the Sooners out of the top 20 during their last visit to Norman in 2005.

7. Wake Forest at Baylor, Aug. 28: New Baylor coach Art Briles says his program needs some victories that will cause readers to blink with disbelief. This will be his first chance.

8. Texas at UTEP, Sept. 6: Longhorns could be headed for a trap game in their first matchup against Miners since 1933.

9. Kansas State at Louisville, Sept. 17: KSU's gritty defensive effort held Louisville to less than half its average in the last game in 2006 when Bobby Petrino was coaching there. And the Cardinals aren't nearly as good now as they were then.

10. Houston at Oklahoma State, Sept. 6: New Houston coach Kevin Sumlin returns to Oklahoma with a team that has lost 14 of its last 15 road games against BCS teams. But this one might be better than expected.

11. Colorado at Florida State (at Jacksonville), Sept. 27: Buffaloes have got to do better than last season against the Seminoles, when they converted only 1 of 13 third-down plays in 16-6 loss at Boulder.

12. Iowa State at Iowa, Sept. 13: Gene Chizik beat the Hawkeyes on his first try last season -- one of seven ISU victories in the series over the last 10 seasons.

And the worst ...

1. Chattanooga at Oklahoma, Aug. 30: Sooners might be gunning for 70 points against leaky Moccasins defense that ranked 102nd among all Division I-AA teams in rush defense last season. Anybody up for a 300-yard rushing game for DeMarco Murray to kick-start his Heisman Trophy hopes?

2. Massachusetts at Texas Tech, Sept. 20: Mike Leach doesn't show much mercy against those from outside Division I. The Red Raiders have outscored their last four FCS opponents by 61 points and outgained them by an average of 422 yards per game.

3. Eastern Washington at Texas Tech, Aug. 30: The Eagles lost to eventual Football Championship Series champion Appalachian State in the playoffs, but facing that spread offense isn't anything like Mike Leach's.

4. Southeast Missouri at Missouri, Sept. 6: Look for a lot of snaps for a Missouri quarterback named Chase -- Patton that is -- against the Redhawks. Southeast Missouri lost by 56 points at Cincinnati last season.

5. Sam Houston at Kansas, Sept. 20: It's hard to believe that defrocked former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar is a senior. His experience shouldn't matter as the Bearkats have lost their last 15 games against Big 12 teams by an average of 41 points per game.

6. Florida International at Kansas, Aug. 30: An outmanned Golden Panthers team was gashed for a season-worst 615 total yards in a 55-3 loss at Lawrence to the Jayhawks last season.

7. North Texas at Kansas State, Aug. 30: KSU rolled to a 54-7 victory in last meeting against the Mean Green in 2005 and have outscored them 109-17 in the last two games.

8. South Dakota State at Iowa State, Aug. 28: This one better not be close or it's going to be a long season for Gene Chizik.

9. Louisiana-Lafayette at Kansas State, Sept. 27: Two numbers are significant in this matchup. La-Lafayette is 1-20 in previous games against Big 12 teams and former KSU great Darren Sproles ripped them for a school-record 292 rushing yards in the last game in 2005.

10. Missouri State at Oklahoma State, Sept. 13: Cowboys have won all five games in their series against the Bears. And none of them have been close.

11. Northwestern State at Baylor, Sept. 6: Here's hoping the Demons' play is more disciplined than during their only other Waco trip. They were flagged 20 times for 139 yards in a 47-10 loss in 2006.

12. Eastern Washington at Colorado, Sept. 6: If any team shouldn't overlook a "body bag game" it should be Colorado after their 2006 loss to Montana State. But Eastern's chances don't look good in this one, especially considering it will be going from facing Mike Leach's prolific offense one week to playing at altitude the next.

I really think Kansas is in for a shocker when they travel to South Florida.

The best nonconference games:

4. Virginia Tech at Nebraska, Sept. 27: Cornhuskers are 9-2 at home against ACC teams and could be ready to spring an upset over the Hokies in Bo Pelini's first major nonconference test.

So..Still not counting the Bowl game against MSU as his 1st major nonconference test.. <_<

Win or lose, South Florida is not even close to a tougher game than Mizzou last year. I despise Mizzou with all my sould, and OU had their number, but they were really good. THey are mostly back, and They are the first team in a while from the North that could challenge the South toe to toe. I think my Hawks could win some games, and I think we have a chance, but Mizzou is really good and a lot better than South Florida, IMHO. I will grant you the South Florida game is on the road, and I am not saying we have it in the bag, but from an odds perspecitve, I would say we are favorites over USF and underdogs vs. Mizzou at a neutral site. Advantage Tigers.... (This post was painful to write and my attempt at being fair-minded should IN NO WAY be interpreted as a concession to the enemy of all decent, freedom loving people, the Unversity of Missouri. :) )

Wn or lose, South Florida is not even close to a tougher game than Mizzou last year. I despise Mizzou with all my sould, and OU had their number, but they were really good. THey are mostly back, and They are the first team in a while from the North that could challenge the South toe to toe. I think my Hawks could win some games, and I think we have a chance, but Mizzou is really good and a lot better than South Florida, IMHO. I will grant you the South Florida game is on the road, and I am not saying we have it in the bag, but from an odds perspecitve, I would say we are favorites over USF and underdogs vs. Mizzou at a neutral site. Advantage Tigers.... (This post was painful to write and my attempt at being fair-minded should IN NO WAY be interpreted as a concession to the enemy of all decent, freedom loving people, the Unversity of Missouri. :) )

Did you happen to read the title of the thread?

Wn or lose, South Florida is not even close to a tougher game than Mizzou last year. I despise Mizzou with all my sould, and OU had their number, but they were really good. THey are mostly back, and They are the first team in a while from the North that could challenge the South toe to toe. I think my Hawks could win some games, and I think we have a chance, but Mizzou is really good and a lot better than South Florida, IMHO. I will grant you the South Florida game is on the road, and I am not saying we have it in the bag, but from an odds perspecitve, I would say we are favorites over USF and underdogs vs. Mizzou at a neutral site. Advantage Tigers.... (This post was painful to write and my attempt at being fair-minded should IN NO WAY be interpreted as a concession to the enemy of all decent, freedom loving people, the Unversity of Missouri. :) )

I dont think that he did

Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to my world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did read it. My comment was on...

2. Kansas at South Florida, Sept. 12: This game could be tougher than any the Jayhawks faced in their magical 2007 season -- including their finale against Missouri.

They said USF was a tougher game than Misery, and I simply did not agree. I think Mizzou is a tougher game. I know they are not non conference, but the article said USF was tougher than Mizzou... And I did not agree... So I said so.