Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry = DEAD

Anyone here under 45, watch a copy of the "Game of the Century" (1971).

You just knew the last team with the ball would win it..I was 11 when I saw it and it imprinted on me so much, I forever subconsciously used it as my definition of Rivalry.

I also find it suspicious that the fall of Communism in Russia coincided with OU scrapping the Wishbone. <_<

We'll get that rivalry back once we're both in the top 10 on a consistent basis and both of us start playing in the conference championship game every year.

I thought OU was the Kremlin. <_< Why don't people tell me these things? :bang

The rivalry is dead. I would say that Colorado or Mizzou is much more a rivalry than Oklahoma. But I am DEFINITELY looking forward to the Oklahoma game more than Baylor...

This is true.

The rivalry died with the Big 12.

Just think about it. The current freshman class was like 4 or 5 years old when the Big 12 formed.

It might be a rivalry in the eyes of older fans but to the current players, it's just another big game. It's only big because OU is so good.

Sad, but true.

I don't think this is true at all. Sure they were young, but both head coaches know the importance of this game and they preach it to the kids in the week leading up to this game. Plus, you've got kids on each team that grew up in Oklahoma or Nebraska that remeber what this game used to mean and that rubs off on the other players. Is it lopsided yes, but the rivalry is far from dead, just ask the f**king hillbillies in OU.

It meant something back in the Big 8 (which none of the current players can remember).

I'm 25 and older than any player on either roster and even I have trouble remembering the good ol days of the rivalry. Mostly because the games I do remember of OU-NU were blowouts in NU's favor since OU sucked most of the 90's.

Outside of 2000 and 2001, OU-NU games have been nothing for 2 decades dating back to when both teams were competing for national championships year in and out.

I think it has turned into more of a mutual respect than a hated rivalry.

your older then the 26 year old freshman on nebraska's roster?

You just knew the last team with the ball would win it..I was 11 when I saw it and it imprinted on me so much, I forever subconsciously used it as my definition of Rivalry.

I also find it suspicious that the fall of Communism in Russia coincided with OU scrapping the Wishbone. <_<

We'll get that rivalry back once we're both in the top 10 on a consistent basis and both of us start playing in the conference championship game every year.

Yes sir..

OU's particular shade of red was the exact match to the old Russian Flag..In fact, I suspect the Sooners wore yellow panties under their pads to match the Ruskies Hammer and Sickle...(Or maybe they yellowed them after the 1st hit) <_<

Coincidence? I think NOT!

Has anyone alerted the Warren Commission about this?

Or at least let Sarge87' in on it?

hammersicklestuff.gifugly_redneck.jpg300px-AdrianPeterson.jpg

Dudes, I just had a vision. I saw ou and nu playing in the future, end of the season. both undefeated. Nu is having a reincarnation of the 95 season's football team type of years. Both teams tie in like quadruple overtime, making them both 12-0-1. they go into the big 12 championship ranked both number one. (it could happen, right?) OU barely wins this game by one point with a field goal that bounces off the right side of the goal post, down to the bottom of the goal and rolls in. They compete in the national championship game against each other. this game is won by the huskers on a fumble recovery scoop and score, by one point, and the national championship trophy goes to the huskers.

Ok, I will reclaim my self assumed title of "stick in the mud" once again...

The Neb-OU rivalry is still one of the greatest in all sports. It's up there with Yankee's-Red Sux, Army-Navy, Laker's-Celtics, etc.

I know the Big 12 pretty much screwed it all up, but i'm not going to worry about that. I cannot wait for the OU game, and hope we kick the livin' crap outta them (although it might not happen), like we used to.

I am one of those guys who loves the tradition that makes NU special. This rivalry is not dead. Yes it is carried by the fans, but all rivalries in college football are. These kids always had just 4/5 yrs to soak it in, the passion for rivalries in CFB is carried in the hearts and minds of the rabid fanbases that tradition rich schools are lucky enough to possess.

This is still a rivalry, and I refuse to give UT, KSU, or KU any credit as a rival. OU, CU, and MU are our rivals, always have been. That's it. (MU gets put in because of the trophy, that's the deciding factor). Just b/c a team beats you doesn't make them your rival. ISU beat us in '92, are they a rival after? No.

DECADES of great competition between teams makes for a rivalry. Not 5 seasons, not even 10 seasons.

When you are a prominent national power in CFB, you're rival must be a prominent national power. I would say that OU qualifies.

I will have to agree that it is unfortunate that we can't play every year. Also, those of you that say it isn't a rivalry b/c NU is down. What about the 90's where OU was much worse than NU is right now? 73-7, 69-0...those were scores of the last two OU games TO coached. You think OU can beat NU that bad right now? (I guess we'll see, won't we)

Sorry to rant, but this is a subject that I feel passionate about and think we need to embrace all traditions. I think we have all seen that winning isn't a right, it is a priviledge we were lucky enough to have for 30 years.

GBR, all of you!

P.S. :koolaid2: chugging it down, aren't I?

You mean it's not?!?!?! :o

It may not be completely gone, but it will die. You need to play them every year or it goes. The SEC kept their rivalries by having each team get one game against the other division that does not rotate. Each year you play your rival, and 2 other teams in the other divison. One leaves the schedule each year, and one is added, that way in 4 years, you play everyone, but 2 teams only once and then one team your squad never got to visit. That is how Bama Tennessee survived...