Now that it's August...

While i believe KU wins the game i most certainly think it will be close and will not be any bit shocked if we win.

Ku was good last year. Good not Great. The one fact i have yet to see thrown out on this thread is:

Everything went right for KU last year. Zero major injuries, every bounce went there way, couple with a weak schedule.

That cannot happen 2 years in a row. There will be injuries, teams will not be surprised by you, Reesing will prove not to be God but an average QB. His mistakes last year went without punishment, this year they will be turnovers.

The schedule is way worse.

Do i think KU will suck, no. they will most likely be better than us this year although i dont think that is a given. I would even argue that we have more talent. I thnk Mangino is one of the best at getting the most out of average players whereas Cally was on of the best at getting less out of talented players. No doubt KU will be an above avg team, but a powerhouse they will not be

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

You don't have to respond to that. Just compare NU's and KU's records the last 40 yrs. About the BCS game you got lucky in being picked over Mizzou. Just to put to rest who has done more in the last few years lets lay it out. This is since the start of the Big XII.

Kansas: no North Division Championships, 1 BCS win

Nebraska: 4 North Division Championships, 2 Big XII Championships, 1 National Championship Game appearence

Who is more proven?

Now if you are talking about this year then of course NU has more to prove. But Kansas fans are in no position to start guarenteening wins. Maybe after a few years of beating teams consistantly then yeah.

I guess you're both right then. Nebraska did prove to be a legit 5-7 team last year. Undeserving of a bowl, and of my respect. No question. :) Enjoy the cheap seats in the peanut gallery as KU competes for the North title again.

Rock Chalk!! :koolaid2:

Are you completely blind to what is going on in Lincoln these days? Last year was a disaster. Our guys are looking for redemption. In 06' we played for the Big XII championship, something Kansas has yet to do. Everybody has a year like we had in 07' eventually. The same thing could be said for KU in 07' with everything aligning just right for them to have a good year. This will be a good game. I just don't know why you expect us to just accept KU as a great team when they have had one good year since the turn of the century.

OK, then I won't expect you to accept KU as a 'great team". I guess the average Jayhawks beat you 76-39 last year, and two of the last 3 seasons. And in 06 the reason you played for the Big 12 title was because the North was crap that year. Don't be pounding your chest over that. It wasn't anything to be proud of dude. You still got whipped.

And yet another thing KU has yet to accomplish. Go ahead and take your own advice on the "pounding your chest" comment man. KU had one good season. Listen to yourself. Kansas has not arrived. We had a dipsh#t for a coach for 4 yrs and started losing to everyone, with the exception of Baylor, for the 1st time in how many years and all you can talk about is one game.....one game. Woo hoo! now you only have 35 more years of that type of score to know what it is like being on top. Won't happen, starting this year.

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

I would say it's interesting that you are so supremely confident that KU will win in Lincoln. They haven't done so in oh, I don't know, something like 4 decades. Excluding the horrendous Callahan years, KU hasn't beat Nebraska PERIOD in something like 4 decades. Yeah yeah, KU hung a lot of points on Nebraska- so did Ball St. AT NEBRASKA. Oklahoma St. was up 38-0 at halftime AT NEBRASKA. It wasn't much of an accomplishment.

Enjoy this offseason- it will be one of the few enjoyable offseasons you will ever have at KU. Kansas had a ludicrously cupcake schedule last year and now the fairy tale is over. It was an aberration and is not, nor will it ever be, the norm. KU is not a football powerhouse. It never has been and never will be. Five years from now the KU football program will again be irrelevant. NU will always be revelant in football. It's something akin to the situation in basketball. Every now and again NU will put together a solid team, but once that team is gone and NU basketball returns to mediocrity or just plain awfulness, nobody cares about them. Everybody will always care about the KU basketball team (just like NU football) because they are a dynastic team. Even if they aren't in the national championship picture, people always assume that they will be again in due time.

Mangino has guided the program from absolute crap to somewhat decent (aside from last year his best at KU was 7-5 after six seasons of coaching) but honestly unless he does something about his health there is no way he will be around long enough to establish any sort of winning tradition. He cannot stand through the football practices (he drives a golf cart) and has a lot of trouble standing through games. It's a serious issue- not just the subject of jokes. If you factor his health and the stress of a head coaching position, it paints a rather dire picture. I am not trying to be disrespectful and I hope that he lives a long and successful life, but you cannot shrug off the issue as if it does not exist. His health is a real issue for the Kansas football program.

Oh my. Kansas fans are funny. One good season and suddenly I'm supposed to believe that the Jayhawks are for real. Tell me why I should believe that? Because you say they will have a bigger, faster, stronger, blah blah blah team? I go by what actually happens. The truth is that since 1997 your precious Jayhawks have had a record of 57-69. That's horrible. But all of a sudden one good season pops up and I'm supposed to believe they can have continued success?

Sorry, I don't think so. You can live in fantasy land for right now, but until I see Kansas beat teams and have a winning record consistently, I will not be jumping on the Jayhawk wagon. Reality is that they had one good season. That's it. The program is still unproven.

I'm really interested to see how the team handles all their success (Missouri too). I mean, when was the last time the Jayhawks were in the top 25 during the preseason polls? Ummm....help someone?

Oh, this season is going to be grand...

Bring your game face to lincoln kids cuz its gonna be a school yard brawl.

yah, bo is gonna beat-up mangino and take is lunch money.

He'll need a dump truck to haul THAT much money away....

JGS30

You have one good season ,and your running all this smack on a husker board? You do realize this is a Football board right? Dude the first thing you need to do is go humble your self, National title and Kansas Football are are nowhere to found together you have 1 conference championship ONE!!!!!!! so check your history Nebraska has throttled Kansas for decades (multiple ten year increments) so you play ONE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP game and win , congratulations ,you play ONE BCSgame and win congratulations , these are admirable accomplishments ,they are hardly the makings of a Dynasty ,So go run your smack elsewhere until you have a National Title or two, and your blistering of Nebraska is the rule rather than the exception. Kansas has only beaten us once in my lifetime and I am almost 40 so go run your cakehole on someone elses board Try Basketball KU has plenty to brag about Basketball wise ,but leave the talking about Football to the big boys . :rant

JGS30

You have one good season ,and your running all this smack on a husker board? You do realize this is a Football board right? Dude the first thing you need to do is go humble your self, National title and Kansas Football are are nowhere to found together you have 1 conference championship ONE!!!!!!! so check your history Nebraska has throttled Kansas for decades (multiple ten year increments) so you play ONE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP game and win , congratulations ,you play ONE BCSgame and win congratulations , these are admirable accomplishments ,they are hardly the makings of a Dynasty ,So go run your smack elsewhere until you have a National Title or two, and your blistering of Nebraska is the rule rather than the exception. Kansas has only beaten us once in my lifetime and I am almost 40 so go run your cakehole on someone elses board Try Basketball KU has plenty to brag about Basketball wise ,but leave the talking about Football to the big boys . :rant

Or KEEP IT RUNNING I got decades(multiple ten year increments) of stats and OH yeah Kansas Beat Downs, Conference titles and Multiple (More than two) National Titles

OH by the way I like the predictions I think they are reasonable ,It is always diffucult to predict how the kids will respond ,hopefully the"Quit" has been conditioned out of them ,or at least I hope so ,I was physically sick at times last year due to the lack of effort and the lack of coaching ,that has been cured anyway.

It may take a year or two to get rid of the non hackers and get all the right kids in place. :box

JGS30

Or KEEP IT RUNNING I got decades(multiple ten year increments) of stats and OH yeah Kansas Beat Downs, Conference titles and Multiple (More than two) National Titles

As a USF season ticket holder (my wife's an Alum) I pray to God that KU comes in with the confidence and cockiness that JGS30 has. George Selvie will have 3 sacks, the USF secondary will have 3 picks, and Reesing will be eating the turf in Raymond James stadium, all while the Bulls come away with a 2+ TD win. When they get their asses beat on national Television, and KU leaves the field to a shower of cheeseburgers from the student section (and Mangino eats 6 before he even gets to the tunnel), I'll be standing in section 214 with my Husker gear on screaming "See you in Lincoln, Losers!!!"

My prediction is, if we beat VATech and beat or come really close the following week against mizzou, the huskers are going to carry a lot of momentum through the season and end 9-3 10-2 at best which would be remarkable.. If we lost va tech & mizzou I say we break even or get 7 wins.

As a USF season ticket holder (my wife's an Alum) I pray to God that KU comes in with the confidence and cockiness that JGS30 has. George Selvie will have 3 sacks, the USF secondary will have 3 picks, and Reesing will be eating the turf in Raymond James stadium, all while the Bulls come away with a 2+ TD win. When they get their asses beat on national Television, and KU leaves the field to a shower of cheeseburgers from the student section (and Mangino eats 6 before he even gets to the tunnel), I'll be standing in section 214 with my Husker gear on screaming "See you in Lincoln, Losers!!!"

I'm really looking forward to this game also. I started following the Bulls after watching them thump on West Va. last season. Hopefully they can put together a full season. If USF comes out this year like last year then Kansas had better have it strapped on. I read somewhere that USF specifically recruits its players to stopping Pat White, well WV runs the spread. Kansas also runs the spread with more passing. If they can shut down KU's run game and make them one dimensional, a win will not be out of the question.