Fear Texas Tech

Look at what they did last year:

Ranked 1st in passing offense, 119th in rushing. 82nd in rush defense. 87th in turnover margin.

Points allowed:

31 to Rice

49 to OSU

41 to Mizzou

59 to Texas.

A very unbalanced team with a shaky defense. Harrell can't win it by himself. Oklahoma has a total, 100% lock on the Big 12 South.

You can rationalize just about anything.

Facts are at this time. We have a horrendous defense, near the worst in the NCAA. They have a top offense in the NCAA. Will they be better, will we be better. Their fans say yes, ours say yes.

In honesty we all have to buy in as fans, but know one will know until we play the first 4 games.

Texas Tech coaches feel this is the best team they have ever had, and it is not even close. We hear positives from our staff, but nothing along the lines of the best ever.

Tech will give us all we can handle, and the likelyhood of an ass kicking is quite real. If we can run the ball on them and control the clock, we have a chance. Ganz can not throw interceptions.

But to think at this time we are on the same level as Tech is homerism to say the least. We may still have the same quitters we had last year, until we see the heart, we just do not know.

I think we will see a much improved attitude on this team. But will it hold up under tough situations, is the key.

We lose this game, but hopefully it will not turn into a rout, if it does, it will indicate we have the same problems we had last year, and it was not all coaching. Unfortunately I believe that. I am hoping that they prove me wrong during the first four games.

I agree with you on this. I wouldn't be surprised if TT takes the South this year, I think they could be that good.

I would be surprised if Tech took the South this year. Their defense wasn't too swell at stopping opponents last year. Unless their defense drastically improves, they will not be winning the South anytime soon.

They had the #1 or #2 defense in conference play last year. They had a dramatic turnaround when they got rid of their DC mid-season. They have 9 or 10 starters returning from that defense and have ample depth.

They had the #1 or #2 defense in conference play last year. They had a dramatic turnaround when they got rid of their DC mid-season. They have 9 or 10 starters returning from that defense and have ample depth.

Dramatic on everything except running defense apparently. Texas Tech was ranked 10th in the conference for rushing defense allowing 177 yards per game.

Look at what they did last year:

Ranked 1st in passing offense, 119th in rushing. 82nd in rush defense. 87th in turnover margin.

Points allowed:

31 to Rice

49 to OSU

41 to Mizzou

59 to Texas.

A very unbalanced team with a shaky defense. Harrell can't win it by himself. Oklahoma has a total, 100% lock on the Big 12 South.

I'll say it 'til the day I die or the facts prove otherwise. Pure passing teams will never succeed against a schedule worth a crap. Live by the pass, die by the pass. Can't run the ball? A pity you play Oklahoma every year, the same OU that led the nation is pass defense efficiency last season. A few picks early and a solid stable of backs on the other side, TT is going down like the Hindenburg.

Texas Tech can certainly win the South and destroy Nebraska, but they have always been an awfully inconsistent team (beating Oklahoma but losing to Oklahoma State?), and if Harrell continues to attempt 60-70 passes per game, I think an injury is more likely than a Big 12 title.

I agree! I guess it just depends which Texas Tech team shows up when NU plays them. And I also agree with your statement on Harrell.

You can rationalize just about anything.

Facts are at this time. We have a horrendous defense, near the worst in the NCAA. They have a top offense in the NCAA. Will they be better, will we be better. Their fans say yes, ours say yes.

In honesty we all have to buy in as fans, but know one will know until we play the first 4 games.

Texas Tech coaches feel this is the best team they have ever had, and it is not even close. We hear positives from our staff, but nothing along the lines of the best ever.

Tech will give us all we can handle, and the likelyhood of an ass kicking is quite real. If we can run the ball on them and control the clock, we have a chance. Ganz can not throw interceptions.

But to think at this time we are on the same level as Tech is homerism to say the least. We may still have the same quitters we had last year, until we see the heart, we just do not know.

I think we will see a much improved attitude on this team. But will it hold up under tough situations, is the key.

We lose this game, but hopefully it will not turn into a rout, if it does, it will indicate we have the same problems we had last year, and it was not all coaching. Unfortunately I believe that. I am hoping that they prove me wrong during the first four games.

I agree with you on this. I wouldn't be surprised if TT takes the South this year , I think they could be that good.

Nope. It's still Oklahoma's division.

Yeah I'm scared. We need a D-Line to put pressure on their QB.

Right now our D-Line is a huge concern. Hopefully some young guys can step up and we can develop a little depth in that area.

Scratch that... I'm pretty concerned about our whole Defense at this time. And I will be until they show me they can play ball.

I believe our D Line will be better for 2 reasons. 1 our players are not going to play the gaps. 2 our players are in better condition. Strength and conditioning will be one of the biggest stories of this husker team by years end. We have talent we just haven't gotten the most out of our palyers .

Our secondary will be a step faster than they were last year. We will hit harder and be very difficult to beat at home. Unfortunately will are going to play at Tech. I have had this game as a loss all off season. I think we will keep it close though.

Texas Tech is a strange pearl of a team in a vast ocean of already-taken talent. Most of their players are pretty local, most-times picked over by the Horns and Aggies, but Leach knows who he wants, and he knows how to turn them into passing gurus. As much as I hate to say it, the guy has quietly created a force to be reckoned with out there on the flatlands of West Texas.

It's gonna be a tough one, but first off, I think Watson knows he definitely can't do what Callahan did 4 years ago, and Pelini is almost an opposite to Cozgrove. Our offense will be different. The Blackshirts will definitely be different. So, I'd say the outcome will be different, whether we win or not.

If I were coach, I'd do a lot of what people are saying here. Pound the rock, maybe stretch it with some zone reads/options under center and out of the gun. Just mix it up with jet sweeps out of the Bronco bunch, counters and iso's (capitalizing on Cotton's blocking schemes), not to mention hitting Lucky/Castille/Helu out in the flats.

I'd just nickel and dime as much as I could to keep Harrell, Crabtree and Co. off the field. Then, when they get ansy and stick 8 in the box or try to blitz too much, let Ganz pull the trigger on a deep one to Gilleylen/Holt/Swift/Peterson - see what happens.

I just think we bring a whole different set of weapons offensively than we did in '04 (most notably - back-up QB). New Tech DC or not, we SHOULD be able to move the ball on these Dead Raiders.

Defensively, a pass rush is important, but smart LB play is just as integral. There's one play, a doube drag play out of a 4-wide that's their bread and butter that basically has the QB reading where the LB's go to find those empty spaces between them for their Y and slot receivers. Very hard to stop without smart LB's that put themselves in position to make a play instead of taking themselves out it. We should really watch TCU film, because they shut Tech down the whole game, as did Mizzou.

Most of all, I just want to see HEART and FIRE from the Blackshirts. Go out there and make those Texas boys sorry you ever came!

Texas Tech is a strange pearl of a team in a vast ocean of already-taken talent. Most of their players are pretty local, most-times picked over by the Horns and Aggies, but Leach knows who he wants, and he knows how to turn them into passing gurus. As much as I hate to say it, the guy has quietly created a force to be reckoned with out there on the flatlands of West Texas.

It's gonna be a tough one, but first off, I think Watson knows he definitely can't do what Callahan did 4 years ago, and Pelini is almost an opposite to Cozgrove. Our offense will be different. The Blackshirts will definitely be different. So, I'd say the outcome will be different, whether we win or not.

If I were coach, I'd do a lot of what people are saying here. Pound the rock, maybe stretch it with some zone reads/options under center and out of the gun. Just mix it up with jet sweeps out of the Bronco bunch, counters and iso's (capitalizing on Cotton's blocking schemes), not to mention hitting Lucky/Castille/Helu out in the flats.

I'd just nickel and dime as much as I could to keep Harrell, Crabtree and Co. off the field. Then, when they get ansy and stick 8 in the box or try to blitz too much, let Ganz pull the trigger on a deep one to Gilleylen/Holt/Swift/Peterson - see what happens.

I just think we bring a whole different set of weapons offensively than we did in '04 (most notably - back-up QB). New Tech DC or not, we SHOULD be able to move the ball on these Dead Raiders.

Defensively, a pass rush is important, but smart LB play is just as integral. There's one play, a doube drag play out of a 4-wide that's their bread and butter that basically has the QB reading where the LB's go to find those empty spaces between them for their Y and slot receivers. Very hard to stop without smart LB's that put themselves in position to make a play instead of taking themselves out it. We should really watch TCU film, because they shut Tech down the whole game, as did Mizzou.

Most of all, I just want to see HEART and FIRE from the Blackshirts. Go out there and make those Texas boys sorry you ever came!

First of all, very good post.

I agree, I think running the ball should be a vital part of NU's game plan not only against Texas Tech, but ALL other teams they face this year. If the line is as good as everyone says (which I'm hoping it is), then this shouldn't be a problem against the Tech defense. I have alot of questions about the receiving corps, but hopefully a few of the young guys step up to the challenge of replacing Mo.

There's so many questions about the NU defense that I don't really know what to think. I do know that there will be more intensity and fire in these guys, but other than that, I don't really know. I do know that I am excited to see how everything plays out and get all of these questions answered.

Oh...and....

F'in A Cotton, F'in A!

Coming from an alum of a school from the Southwest Conference, let me tell you a little history on Texas Tech...

Since 1955, they haven't won an outright conference championship. The last outright conference title they won came that year (1955) when they won the "Border Conference".

They shared just two SWC championships. They never won an outright conference title in the SWC.

In order for me, or anyone, to ever choose them to achieve greatness, they will actually have to show it for once.

With that said, I don't think they will do it this year. And if they can't win the conference this year, they never will. This is by far the best team they have ever fielded.

Unfortunately for them, they have OU IN Norman. If they somehow don't find a way to choke it off before then, they will in this game.

:moreinteresting