I am confused by WMU comments that abound here

jayhawk

Fact 1 - Central Michigan is a mediocre opponent - but easily better than Western Michigan, who is weak

90% of this board mock KU's schedule last fall, and one of our easiest games was MAC champion Central Michigan. They Beat Western Michigan, at Western Michigan, and barely lost to Purdue (by 3, 51-49) in the Motor City Bowl. They also beat Nebraska favorite Ball State by 20, at Ball State. Despite this, KU beat Central Michigan 52-7. Despite the MAC title, and the size of the victory, I have been told that our schedule was weak, and this is an example, because Centeral Michigan is no good despite the accomplishments they made. I just had to get that off my chest, as hypocrisy annoys me. Now on to the important Husker focused Parts....

Fact 2 - Western Michigan is NOT good, see write up/

See fact 1, but Western Michigan was by no measure as good as Central Michigan. They lost to them at home, they did not beat a single team in he MAC that CM did not also beat, and they won TWO games last year in the MAC. TWO. While I know it is the first game under a new regime, and that is fraught with danger, these guys have not done ANYTHING save for beating Iowa last year. Not that this was not a good win, but it is about the only thing that went right for them by a LONG, LONG, way. Did I mention Iowa was not good last year? DId I mention that everyone thinks Central Michigan was a joke for KU, and is a lot better than Western Michigan (just checking that I hit those points)

Fact 3 - If NU is going to be good, which most of you take as a fact they will be at least better than last year by a few wins, they can't lose this game

I keep hearing how a lot of Husker fans are declaring our (KU's) imminent demise in Lincoln. Now I will have to be careful, as this fact only applies to a portion of you, and I recognize that. You do not all predict 9-3 or 10-2, but if you have ANY strong hope of a winning season, you would need to win a game like this. How can you all be so confident that Bo is great, that he prgram acan return to a winnning season, and worry about Western Michigan. I know the team should respect them, so they are ready to go, but as fans our fear of them does not help the team get ready. I think this is overblown hubbub.

Huskers by 14 is what i predicted over a month ago, and shockingly the spread came out.... 14

I am tooting my own horn, but you will win by about that, give or take, and it should be a decent start to the Bo era.

Have some freakin faith, it is not Michigan, it's not Michigan State, it's not even Central Michigan or Eastern Michigan (even Eastern Michigan beat Western Michgan, and won 3 MAC games).... They are the FIFTH best team in freaking Michigan. You all seriously need to get some swagger back, it's Nebraska! Remember, Go Big Red? Kicking KU in the teeth by 50? Playing in, and winning, National Title Games? Tommie Frazier running down the field laughing at Florida as he shed tacklers like the were 8 year old girls? You do still have some pretty good players, I read about them a lot on the board and have seen them play. Lucky is half way decent, we might even let him play if he came to KU, I think he is not bad for instance....

WESTERN MICHIGAN IS NOT GOOD. PLEASE STOP WORRYING AND FRETTING LIKE OLD WOMEN....

Thanks,

That's all.

I am Jayhawk and I approve this message

Just re-read your post and i'm not done...

your out of conference games were:

Central Michigan - like you said, finished 8-6 won the MAC

Southeastern Louisiana - finished 3-8 only beating 2 D2 teams and Nichols State

Toledo - finshed 5-7

FIU - 2007 Season: 1-11 ... do i have to say more?

In conference, while I know the school has no control over:

K-state - A team who has been struggling, but was ranked at the time (24)

Baylor - no explanation needed...

Colorado - See k-state (without the ranked part)

Texas A&M - mediocre year for the aggies, Quality win for KU

Nebraska - A scoring explosion by both sides early, but Nebraska had serious troubles last year

Oklahoma State - Just came off a bad loss to Texas, barely finished above .500

Iowa State - the baylor of the north

Missouri - Need i say more?

I mean come on...

KU's schedule WAS weak. They lucked out by not drawing Oklahoma OR Texas, and that helped them out a bunch on their way to a nonetheless outstanding season.

But jayhawk's point is no less valid. There's been a lot of "WMU is good", "don't count out WMU", "we better watch out for WMU" on this board. Well, then either jayhawk's analysis of WMU is 180 degrees off base or we have no right to hope for a winning season if we're this worried about WMU. One of those two.

Toledo - finshed 5-7

Nebraska - A scoring explosion by both sides early, but Nebraska had serious troubles last year

I mean come on...

Despite my obvious bitterness, you miss my point. I am saying Central Michigan is mediocre, and everyone else is here calls them weak. OK, well, they are better than Western Michigan regardless. We beat the better Central Michigan 52-7, so if you can compete with us, you should be able to beat Western Michigan. That is my point....

The rest is just my bitter rant. (A&M and OSU on the road not otugh? CU in Boulder not tough? Come on, some credit???)

OK, enough ranting, I want to know how can the Mighty Cornhyskers have a fair contingent of fans afraid of these guys. I am trying to stay on toipic, and that is what I want to know. they have ZERO faith in what is going on. Western Michigan is not good by pretty much any measure.

KU's schedule WAS weak. They lucked out by not drawing Oklahoma OR Texas, and that helped them out a bunch on their way to a nonetheless outstanding season.

But jayhawk's point is no less valid. There's been a lot of "WMU is good", "don't count out WMU", "we better watch out for WMU" on this board. Well, then either jayhawk's analysis of WMU is 180 degrees off base or we have no right to hope for a winning season if we're this worried about WMU. One of those two.

:yeah (except the weak schedule part, I prefer to think it was average, look at Ohio State's schedule for instance, but do it in another thread, I am focused on Zoogies point as much as I can be without getting bitter)

I'll come back to you. I need to go look around real quick to find out where anyone is worried as you say. Because nobody is worried about WMU. There is a difference between keeping people informed about an opponent, and being worried about them.

Curiosity & concern (if any) is only about how the Huskers will play. And if you recall, we finished around 187th in defense last season. Not good.

BAH!!!

We will destroy WMU. How dare they mock our Blackshirts by naming their defense the "goldshirts"!!! They will rue the day that they said we could be "dangerous" opponent not to be taken lightly!!! :lol:

But seriously...we will beat them. We may stumble a bit at the start, but by the second half I don't think it will be as close as some think.

Toledo - finshed 5-7

I mean come on...

Despite my obvious bitterness, you miss my point. I am saying Central Michigan is mediocre, and everyone else is here calls them weak. OK, well, they are better than Western Michigan regardless. We beat the better Central Michigan 52-7, so if you can compete with us, you should be able to beat Western Michigan. That is my point....

The rest is just my bitter rant. (A&M and OSU on the road not otugh? CU in Boulder not tough? Come on, some credit???)

OK, enough ranting, I want to know how can the Mighty Cornhyskers have a fair contingent of fans afraid of these guys. I am trying to stay on toipic, and that is what I want to know. they have ZERO faith in what is going on. Western Michigan is not good by pretty much any measure.

What is the difference between 2007 and 2008? ITS 2 DIFFERENT YEARS. Oh i guess LSU is going to beat OSU in the championship this year again cuz it happened last year.

WMU returns what? 18 starters? Granted they weren't that great last year, and in no way shape or form am I scared about this game. I am going to say that I have faith in my team, but I think KU is going to need alot more than fan support for what is instore for them in 2008....

I want to know, do people down in Lawrence really think that KU will do better than 8-4? Especially with Oklahoma, Texas, AND Texas Tech on your schedule, plus Mizzou, potential Big East Champion South Florida, and upcoming Colorado? Not to mention KU visits Lincoln, where you haven't won at since god knows when. Actually this just sounds stupid cuz I've mentioned most of the teams on the schedule but alot of people aren't talking about KSU, and I personally am more scared of that game than our game with KU.

Case and point -- KU's schedule is brutal, KU has like 7-8 games that are "TOSSUPS" or "PROBABLE LOSSES"

heard it here first

Toledo - finshed 5-7

I mean come on...

What is the difference between 2007 and 2008? ITS 2 DIFFERENT YEARS. Oh i guess LSU is going to beat OSU in the championship this year again cuz it happened last year.

WMU returns what? 18 starters? Granted they weren't that great last year, and in no way shape or form am I scared about this game. I am going to say that I have faith in my team, but I think KU is going to need alot more than fan support for what is instore for them in 2008....

I want to know, do people down in Lawrence really think that KU will do better than 8-4? Especially with Oklahoma, Texas, AND Texas Tech on your schedule, plus Mizzou, potential Big East Champion South Florida, and upcoming Colorado? Not to mention KU visits Lincoln, where you haven't won at since god knows when. Actually this just sounds stupid cuz I've mentioned most of the teams on the schedule but alot of people aren't talking about KSU, and I personally am more scared of that game than our game with KU.

Case and point -- KU's schedule is brutal, KU has like 7-8 games that are "TOSSUPS" or "PROBABLE LOSSES"

heard it here first

There is a lot of "Watch out for WMU", BTW, it is pretty common recently. I am just surprised so many people are that concerned.

If you lose to them, you are no better than average. These guys are no App State, the are not some under the radar great team. 18 guys back on a team that won 2 games in the MAC, ok, now they may be able to compete in the mac and take 4 games? I am just surprised so many Cornhusker fans are concerned. I know not all of you are, a few of you still think it is the mid-90's for pete's sakes....

People in Lawrence, when Polled, pick 9 wins as the most popular choice. 8 wins came in second. I think 10 was third, then 7. Since we beat CU last year at CU, and the momentum has shifted with NU (plus a new coach), those are viewed as winnable by more than just KU fans. We beat USF 2 years ago, and so they may beat us this time, but we like our chances. As for the 3 south teams, 2 are at home. You missed Mizzou, which is probably the second hardest game after visiting OU. We probably will lose 3 or 4 games, most fans think that, we just don't llok at that scheudle and assume we lose them all. if we lose half of the 7 games listed ablve, that is 3.5.... 3 or 4.... Again, sorry for not assuming we suck after going 12-1, beating Va-Tech in the Orange Bowl. We have on of the better schedules in the country for difficulty, so we would be hard pressed to go 12-1... :rant

Nevermind, we will see you in Lincoln.... Then it won't matter what any of us think. We will just see how it goes. I am not sure what a bunch of you will come up with next year if we go 9-3, but I am excited to find out...

:yeah (except the weak schedule part, I prefer to think it was average, look at Ohio State's schedule for instance, but do it in another thread, I am focused on Zoogies point as much as I can be without getting bitter)

I totally agree that Ohio State's schedule last year was a joke, but that doesn't mean that KU had a tough schedule....

:nanalama

Bah...days of worrying about Kansas and their ultimate success against a bunch of push-overs last year are long past and I have no interest in rehashing the old "Our schedule wasn't weak!" nonsense any more. Your 2007 season is officially history. This is 2008 baby...time to do it on the field! I'm ready to see NU crush Western Michigan and I'm ready to see the Cyclones crush South Dakota State and I could care less about Kansas until they show up in Ames in five weeks and we bring down the mighty I-beam of destruction on the Jayhawks to mark the beginning of the end of your one-year joyride...

new coach, bad season last year......first game of the year against a team that is better than some might think...

I think that covers our worries. this is the type of game cally would have made interesting. although I dont think Bo will be like cally, until I see it for myself, I will be a little uneasy.

also why are you bringing up the 2007 team with your post? we were terrible last year. that being said I feel that the 2006 team would have been 12-1 with your schedule and the 2005 team would have won 8-9 games. it was a easy schedule..... you still had a good team, you just didnt get many chances to show it. you do now