if there are no Blackshirts for first game?

From Tom Shatel:

Last year Nebraska gave out Blackshirts like pens at registration. I think Kevin Cosgrove gave out 16 Blackshirts. I was disappointed I didn't get one.

Those days are gone. On Tuesday, Bo Pelini said no defensive player had been given a Blackshirt and he didn't know when the sacred practice jerseys would be handed out. Well, that's not true. Pelini said they would be awarded when a player had earned it.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Of course, this has thrown everyone's Nebraska football clocks out of whack. It's opening week. This is when Blackshirts are hung on every locker. When asked why he was doing it this way, Pelini shot back, "Why not? What's a Blackshirt mean if it's a symbol that you don't earn? Isn't that the point? Everybody wants to rush this thing. What's the point if you're just going to hand them out?"

Exactly. This is the right message to send to not only a defense that needs to earn some things back, but a program, too. Nobody is going to hand Nebraska its rightful place in college football. The Huskers are going to have to earn it.

Meanwhile, it was fashion day at Pelini's first news conference. Pelini walked in wearing a blue shirt and a pair of cargo pants. He looked like he was driving the family to Colorado. Some wiseacre asked Pelini if he had heard about Bill Callahan catching grief for not wearing red to a news conference last year, and Pelini said, "Does that mean I'm going to get a lot of heat from you guys?"

Not at all. Maybe you have to earn that red shirt.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

First, I think it's hilarious that he didn't wear red to the conference and the thundering herd of armchair coaches and players didn't rain hellfire down on him. That whole issue with Callahan was f'ing ridiculous.

Second, damn right they should earn the blackshirts. If nobody earns them all season, then not a single one is given out.

I would be fine with the Blackshirts not being issued at all this season. Sorry to those who are offended everytime a coach from the previous regime is mentioned, but Coz destroyed the tradition. These players have NO idea on what the blackshirt means. The tradition and the mystique of the blackshirt needs to be rebuilt. I think that they should be handed out at the end of the season and base it on their performance of the entire year.

Blue shirt = non issue in the scheme of things. Let it go.

Blackshirts = He said it. "Why hand something out if it's not earned? Why rush it?" I agree with that thinking. The only thing to focus on is the game this Saturday. If they havent earned it yet this game will show who is deserving. Can move forward after that.

I am fine with them being awarded after the first game. But the majority of those players who establish themselves as starters after the first game should get them next week. The tradition should not be changed so much that they become a mid-season or end of season award.

I agree, the blackshirts are for the starting defense. If a player has earned the right to start on our defense, then they deserve to wear a blackshirt.

I am fine with them being awarded after the first game. But the majority of those players who establish themselves as starters after the first game should get them next week. The tradition should not be changed so much that they become a mid-season or end of season award.

I agree, the blackshirts are for the starting defense. If a player has earned the right to start on our defense, then they deserve to wear a blackshirt.

I agree with you both.

Im a big fan of what he is doing, if the D doesnt perform at all this season then he shouldnt give the shirts to anyone.

In leu of the blue shirt controversy:

Bo decided he wants to win a game before he can start wearing a red shirt to a press conference again. He wants to earn the right to wear the nebraska red till then he will be wearing every color but red. :)

hell, maybe we don't have 1 guy on D that has truely busted his ass to earn one yet, this year.....so, they don't get handed out....nothing wrong with that. leave Pelini alone, let him run this show and work it how he sees fit, i would be embarrassed to even ask the question, as to why they weren't handed out....let him coach and decide who and when, that's why we brought him in here....relax folks!