Quit Hating On The Secondary!!

huskerguy

I keep hearing all this talk about how bad the secondary is and it needs to improve... yeah we allowed 342 yards passing, because we allowed 8 rushing!!!

When a team drops back and passes that much we're gonna allow some passing yards, especially with how the rules are set up today for passing offenses.

They passed 49 times! oh course they are gonna get a lot of yards. Not to mention 3/4 of the secondary had hardly played in a game let alone in the secondary. They also didn't have anyone to sub in for them to get a break.

:rant

Sorry I just don't get why people are acting like this is such a terrible weakness right now, give it a couple of weeks before you judge.

Also Prince will be a star, you can already see flashes of it whether it has been on Special Teams or Defense

I keep hearing all this talk about how bad the secondary is and it needs to improve... yeah we allowed 342 yards passing, because we allowed 8 rushing!!!

When a team drops back and passes that much we're gonna allow some passing yards, especially with how the rules are set up today for passing offenses.

They passed 49 times! oh course they are gonna get a lot of yards. Not to mention 3/4 of the secondary had hardly played in a game let alone in the secondary. They also didn't have anyone to sub in for them to get a break.

:rant

Sorry I just don't get why people are acting like this is such a terrible weakness right now, give it a couple of weeks before you judge.

Also Prince will be a star, you can already see flashes of it whether it has been on Special Teams or Defense

I agree, we have the talent to play well in the secondary, they just need to learn the system well, stay disciplined during the games and good things will happen. Our pass rush and pressure up front was of noticeable improvement from last year, hopefully the secondary will come along shortly. GBR!!!!

They gained right at 7 yards per attempted pass. I don't even think Taylor's average per attempt the year we won the North was this high. I'm not hating on the secondary at all. They're young and very very green. We're going to take some lumps before they become great.

I agree, and when we have everyone in the secondary healthy that will help out a lot. Ours guys had to work their tails off out there with little to no breaks. It didn't help that our offense would sometimes score in under two minutes; not much of a break for the guys on defense. But as the season goes on hopefully our offense can atleast give the defense a couple more minutes for a breather and that alone will improve on their playmaking abilities.

The thing wasn't that they passed 49 times, it was that they completed 30 of them (and I believe there were more incompletions as the game wound down). The passing game was pretty effective for them and we gave up a lot of catches.

Hopefully it will improve in a couple weeks though.

I agree with you while we stopped their running attack they had nothing else to do besides throw the ball. Like I said earlier this week, another reason why they got a lot of receiving yards is because our front four didn't hardly putting enough pressure on the QB and our DB's can't cover all day long. A lot has to go on the front four to put more pressure on the QB to help out our secondary.

Our defense has improven in my eyes from last year but we still have some fresh meat in the secondary and on the line. Just give it time and give it at least a couple games and our players will have a better understand on what to do out there and what their responsiblities are.

Uh, we had a lot of mistakes in the secondary. You only had to watch the game to see it, or you could listen to Pelini and the players, who say exactly the same thing. They didn't play particularly well. It's completely fair to bring that up and hope they can work out the problems and play better. I really haven't seen anyone "hating" on the secondary.

I'm only hating on one member of the secondary: Asante.

Culbert and Thenarse need to take as many reps as possible away from him once they are healthy.

Agreed. Hopefully Asante improves, but who knows. I don't like the BS excuse why Culbert didn't play because he didn't have enough experience in the system to be effective. He was friggin practicing at Safety in the spring, how long do you need?

Yes, the secondary is definitely a concern, because Texas Tech will make Western Michigan look like Millard South in a few weeks. The pass defense had some hiccups, hopefully they are correctable. Or else it will be a long season.

Uh, we had a lot of mistakes in the secondary. You only had to watch the game to see it, or you could listen to Pelini and the players, who say exactly the same thing. They didn't play particularly well. It's completely fair to bring that up and hope they can work out the problems and play better. I really haven't seen anyone "hating" on the secondary.

Yeah, it was quite obvious when there were mistakes. It happens. I don't think I am "hating" on the secondary when I say they need to get better. I know it, they know it, and the coaches know it. Look at it this way: if Western Michigan hung 342 yards on us, how many yards will Mizzou hang on us? Texas Tech? Oklahoma? Kansas?

I have only seen one game; why wouldn't I be worried about the secondary? Are you reassured by the performance of the secondary? I am well aware it could improve, but right here, right now, I am concerned until I see them play better.

Concerned?? After the first game???? Give me a break. All you armchair quarterbacks need to calm down! Quit second guessing. Did you see better effort??? Did you see better tackling??? :dunno

Everything else will fall into place. Give it some damn time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the positives instead of holding your hats on the negative. Oh wait, some of you guys will always find something to complain about.

Did you see better effort???

Yes, I suppose.

Did you see better tackling???

At times, yes, at times, no.

Did I see the inability for the defense to stop a play the offense was running over and over again? Yes.

Did this remind me of a Cosgrove defense? Yes.

Just because you objectively look at the performance does not make you a pessimist. When I see marked improvement from last season, I will be happy. I didn't necessarily see it on Saturday, and until I do, I'm not drinking the kool-aid. With that said, I hope there is a big improvement from week 1 to week 2, which is generally when the most improvement is made. It would be nice to see a little more polished product. Effort was there, hopefully performance follows.

This is a deep talented group. They will have many games together. Most of them will have several years. Take a good look at this below. And just marinate in it. Only one SR (O'Hanlon granted xtra year of elig) among the bunch. Think big picture. Think future. Need a lot more than one game to build or rebuild the type of secondary the coaches want.

I think they will be great.

CB:

5 ARMANDO MURILLO*, 6-0, 190, Sr., Tampa, Fla.

28 Eric Hagg*, 6-1, 200, So., Peoria, Ariz.

SS:

4 LARRY ASANTE*, 6-1, 210, Jr., Alexandria, Va.

2 Major Culbert**, 6-0, 205, Jr., Harbor City, Calif.

FS:

3 Rickey Thenarse**, 6-0, 195, Jr., Los Angeles, Calif. - or -

33 Matt O'Hanlon**, 5-11, 195, Sr., Bellevue, Neb.

CB:

22 Anthony West*, 6-0, 200, So., San Diego, Calif.

21 Prince Amukamara*, 6-1, 195, So., Glendale, Ariz.

[Others waiting in the wing that are not on depth chart for this next game:]

14 Anthony Blue: 5-10 180 So. Cedar Hill, Texas, (Cedar Hill)

22 Mason Wald: 5-11 205 Fr. Birmingham, Ala. (Vestavia Hills)

1 Alonzo Denard 5-10 190 Fr. Rochelle, Ga. (Wilcox County)

16 John Levorson 6-3 190 Fr. Crete, Neb