Larry Asante

I disagree with your disagreement. I don't hold anything against O'Hanlon for being a walk on I just don't think he has shown anything in the first 2 games. Go back and watch the games if you can and keep an eye on him. He is always late on run plays and usually out of position on passes. Basically all the things Asante takes heat for his Safety mate is just as guilty. IMO

Well, I disagree with your disagreeing with my disagreement.

Eh, not really, but I just wanted to say that. Honestly I believe both safeties need work. There was one play in particular where I remember the ball being thrown almost right to Matt O'Hanlon and he dropped it. It was a great play that he stepped in front and made the play...but he needs to finish it. He needs to make that interception.

And then I believe there was another time where Asante covered a slant and the QB threw the ball in a way where it almost looked like it was intended for Asante...and he dropped it. Don't quote me on this one, but I do believe it was Asante. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong (it happens every once in a while).

If you want a bottom line: our secondary needs alot of work.

I agree. :thumbs

Speaking of Larry Asante, I took this photo of him at the game on Saturday. This was just after the team ran onto the field. He ran over to the endzone for some personal time and a prayer. I thought it was kind of cool.

Very cool. That picture is awesome. I'm ready for the kickoff!

would asante make more of an impact at linebacker than he is at safety? i think it would only make sense to move asante to linebacker. He is an average safety at best. I think he did played linebacker in jc so in that sense it wouldn't be a big adjustment for him. I think with his speed and athletic ability he would make more of an impact at linebacker than at safety. look at all the spread offense we"ll be facing. I think having a fast linebacker would only help. We need faster and more athletic linebackers...speed kills

Marvin Sanders came out the paper today and said that Asante will be fine at Safety he believes he is just trying way to hard to make a play. I take Marvin's word so he will be fine.

And as I have learned from some on this board if any coach on this staff says anything you can take it to the bank. Never question anything. <_<

Although I do agree with Sanders Asante will be fine.

Scouting report, S Larry Asante

Secondary coach Marvin Sanders eliminated any doubt about Larry Asante’s starting role, saying the junior will start again Saturday.

Junior Major Culbert had started the second half against San Jose State in place of Asante, whom coaches felt needed a mental rest.

“Larry’s been pushing a little too hard, not making the plays I know he’s capable of making,” Sanders said, noting Asante has a good understanding of the defense. “I think Larry wants to do well so badly that he’s messing up. You know it’s not because of a lack of effort or a lack of desire.”

He compared Asante’s troubles to what safety Josh Bullocks went through in 2003.

“He just wanted to get in and make a play,” Sanders said of Bullocks, who finished 2003 with 10 interceptions. “But what he adapted to quick was letting things come to him, and when the opportunity came, he made it happen.

“I think that’s the toughest thing, sometimes, for a defensive back who has a lot of athletic ability. Every play, he wants to make something happen. The key in our scheme is you have the opportunity to make it happen, and the opportunity will come if you are just in the right spot.”

This is from www.journalstar.com

Marvin Sanders came out the paper today and said that Asante will be fine at Safety he believes he is just trying way to hard to make a play. I take Marvin's word so he will be fine.

And as I have learned from some on this board if any coach on this staff says anything you can take it to the bank. Never question anything. <_<

Although I do agree with Sanders Asante will be fine.

I don't think we have the depth at safety to be taking him out of that position. I think he will be great once he gets some coaching and experience back at Safety. Growing pains just suck. <_<

Wow, guys...give the kid a break. After being practically uncoached, he is trying to learn a new system and new techniques. Asante will be okay. I remember any number of Nebraska defensive backs over the years having problems.

But this is what I started this topic for, this spring, summer and fall camp he said he is learning more, but that it is simpler and plays into his playing style and what not. If it is that much better for him why is he looking so bad. Habits like playing two hand touch football all last year are hard to break, but personally I would've drank away any brain cells the previous staff implanted in my brain and be damn near living in the coaches offices soaking in all I could.

O’Hanlon shouldn’t get a pass in this discussion either. He has been just as bad as Asante.

I disagree. O'Hanlon has looked pretty good the few times I've seen him. He's made some mistakes, but he's pretty fast and athletic. I haven't seen either Culbert or Thenarse play, so no reason to think anyone should be replacing Matt.

I've noticed quite a few people complaining about O'Hanlon or saying we really need Thenarse to start (I'm not referring to the poster I'm quoting). I think this has more to do with him being a "walk-on" as opposed to a "scholarship" player. IMO, that has absolutely nothing to do with playing well or who starts.

I disagree with your disagreement. I don't hold anything against O'Hanlon for being a walk on I just don't think he has shown anything in the first 2 games. Go back and watch the games if you can and keep an eye on him. He is always late on run plays and usually out of position on passes. Basically all the things Asante takes heat for his Safety mate is just as guilty. IMO

I disagree with your disagreeing with his disagreement.

actually I totally agree with you, I just wanted to say that