The running game

At the start of the year, we were all talking about our 'strong' offensive line and how we were going to run the ball more. Now that the season has started, we have not managed to get any decent yardage running the football. We play 2 mid major conference team and our O-Line cannot even block! IMO I think Helu and Castille are better than Lucky. Lucky cannot do anything out there, cannot break a tackle or shake a defender. He just gets hit at the line of scrimmage and goes down.

Now just imagine when we start playing real teams like Va Tech and KU. How are we going to manage to win those games without a decent running attack? I think that this could be one our biggest problems this year and can cause us to lose games. I mean just against these middle of the pack teams we cannot establish a solid and effective ground game. I am very worried about this years O-Line. I say we bench Lucky and put in Helu and Castille for most of the snaps, they seem to care more than Lucky.

At the start of the year, we were all talking about our 'strong' offensive line and how we were going to run the ball more. Now that the season has started, we have not managed to get any decent yardage running the football. We play 2 mid major conference team and our O-Line cannot even block! IMO I think Helu and Castille are better than Lucky. Lucky cannot do anything out there, cannot break a tackle or shake a defender. He just gets hit at the line of scrimmage and goes down.

Now just imagine when we start playing real teams like Va Tech and KU. How are we going to manage to win those games without a decent running attack? I think that this could be one our biggest problems this year and can cause us to lose games. I mean just against these middle of the pack teams we cannot establish a solid and effective ground game. I am very worried about this years O-Line. I say we bench Lucky and put in Helu and Castille for most of the snaps, they seem to care more than Lucky.

What, exactly, has Castille done thus far to show he is better than Lucky? 12 carries for 14 yards and 1 fumble, yeah, he's really tearing it up. :dumdum

I say...

Eh, nevermind. If you want to sh#t on Lucky after two games, go ahead.

Its not just after two games. Its just he has never produced the way a starting RB should throughout his whole career at Nebraska. The only really good game he had was against lowly Nevada. The rest of the games he is lucky to get 100 yards rushing. IMO he's just an overhyped recruit.

Edit: And about Castille I was probably wrong, but at least he can break some tackles. He's young and he will improve. But he shouldn't start over Lucky now, but Helu should start.

I say...

Its not just after two games. Its just he has never produced the way a starting RB should throughout his whole career at Nebraska. The only really good game he had was against lowly Nevada. The rest of the games he is lucky to get 100 yards rushing. IMO he's just an overhyped recruit.

BS.

Is he a historical typical i-back? No, he's not utilized that way and if he were to be shoved into that mold, he'd wouldn't be at the top of 4 or 5 receiving records.

At least half of the credit for a good rushing career goes to the offensive line. Which has been a shell of it's former self for almost a decade.

The fact of the matter is that Lucky could be one of the best all-around offensive players ever at Nebraska.

I say...

Edit: And about Castille I was probably wrong, but at least he can break some tackles. He's young and he will improve. But he shouldn't start over Lucky now, but Helu should start.

did you look at his stats? or just post whatever popped into your head? embarrassing....

I say...

did you look at his stats? or just post whatever popped into your head? embarrassing....

OK so he caught 6000 passes last year cause Keller never would throw downfield....

His stats this year are not very good, he had 7 carries for 23 yards against SJSU.

Maybe its the O-Line this year, last year he had a decent year. He kind of fell off after Nevada, only had a few more 100+ yard games. And the 100+ yard games he had he only got like 115 yards or something.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175283

the last 2 years he has averaged around 5 yards a carry.

he had over 1000 yards rushing last year, and would have had that 2 years ago as well(as a sophmore) if not behind an NFL caliber RB. now you can make all kinds of irrational excuses for this, but the facts dont back it up

Last year, if you take out the Nevada game, he gained 786 yards on 176 carries, which is 4.4 yards per carry. In his 100+ yard games, except for Nevada, he had totals of 102 yds, 107 yds, 111 yds, and 103 yds. Against a top caliber USC defense he had 17 carries for 33 yards, 1.9 yards per attempt. Against KU, he had 8 carries for 15 yards. He has shown he can't perform with the best defenses on the field. This year he only has 19 carries for 66 yards, approximately 3.5 yards per attempt. This is with the weak defenses, of W. Michigan and San Jose State.

Once we get into our conference schedule I think it will be obvious that Helu should start at RB. I think Lucky is a good pass catching RB but as a runner he cannot make it through holes or fight for extra yardage.

Maybe if the O Line would pick it up a little bit he'd do a little better, but nonetheless Helu is the guy for this year. We just have to be honest with ourselves and realize Lucky isn't as good as we once thought.

he had over 1000 yards rushing last year, and would have had that 2 years ago as well(as a sophmore) if not behind an NFL caliber RB. now you can make all kinds of irrational excuses for this, but the facts dont back it up

Last year, if you take out the Nevada game, he gained 786 yards on 176 carries, which is 4.4 yards per carry. In his 100+ yard games, except for Nevada, he had totals of 102 yds, 107 yds, 111 yds, and 103 yds. Against a top caliber USC defense he had 17 carries for 33 yards, 1.9 yards per attempt. Against KU, he had 8 carries for 15 yards. He has shown he can't perform with the best defenses on the field. This year he only has 19 carries for 66 yards, approximately 3.5 yards per attempt. This is with the weak defenses, of W. Michigan and San Jose State.

Once we get into our conference schedule I think it will be obvious that Helu should start at RB. I think Lucky is a good pass catching RB but as a runner he cannot make it through holes or fight for extra yardage.

Maybe if the O Line would pick it up a little bit he'd do a little better, but nonetheless Helu is the guy for this year. We just have to be honest with ourselves and realize Lucky isn't as good as we once thought.

we also played from behind the ENTIRE game vs ku and we were forced to throw the ball... the KU game doesn't carry any validity with it w/ the running game either....

we also played from behind the ENTIRE game vs ku and we were forced to throw the ball... the KU game doesn't carry any validity with it w/ the running game either....

True, but all the other stats are valid and prove a good point. And Helu stats for this year are 16 carries and 111 yards. So he has fewer carries than Lucky as about 40 more yards.

The running game has definately been a disappointment thus far, but you can't run the ball when your offensive line allows everyone through them. You have to give guys and opportunity to make a play by giving them some room for gods sake. That's been part of the problem with the offense in just two games. It's still early though and they could definately turn it around.