Callahan vs Bo

cmb23

That was always my attitude with Callahan, because I believe it usually takes 3-5 years to see what a coach is really going to do. There was plenty of reason for hope early last season, but they melted down and we saw Callahan simply wasn't going to get it done. Bo is in the same situation and my attitude is the exactly the same. Nothing has changed for me.

You do know that this is Bo's first year as Head Coach and things will not change in the first year right??? I think that Bo has done a great job with what he was left with from Billy C. I think that our defense is better than last year but our secondary needs to cover better and our d-line needs to put more pressure on the QB.

We are only two weeks into the start of College football and we still have 2 1/2 weeks till we face Virginia Tech and 3 1/2 weeks until we face Mizzou, so that's plenty of time to get things fixed. I think Bo makes some good adjustments coming out of Halftime and he does a pretty good job at answering questions where Billy C thought that he had to impress people with his vocabulary. I think that bye week we have before the Virginia Tech game will help us out tremendously and Bo isn't calling the offense Watson is and Watson has been here for the past 2 years, 3 if you're counting this one. Bo is mainly calling our Defense and that's about it.

For of little time Bo had to prepare this kids for this season I think that he's done a great job and if somebody thinks differently then I think you have some high expectations for Bo in his first season. Don't get me wrong I do think that we could win 9 games but if we don't do that, I'll be fine as long as our defense is playing better than last year.

Let's cut through the BS. Most including myself didn't like Pud and how his coaching search went. It would be unNebraskan to speak out against or question the will of TO who hired Pelini.

I totally agree, it wouldn't have mattered PUD brought in unless it was Gill or Bo. Most of the Nation hated Callahan from the get go because he was PUD's boy.

Most fans didn't care that Callahan was "Petersen's boy". Most were leery about Callahan because 1) his Raider team mutinied and imploded, 2) he was 4th or 5th choice in the coaching search and seemingly was picked out of desparation, and 3) he was and is an arrogant, all-knowing twerp who had to look on a map to see where Nebraska was located.

Yeah, I would expand on that but it's probably too technical for you.

If "slick" Billy C were still head coach, we would have lost the SJSU game based on the first game alone. His teams would have given up hope and the game would've become like Southern Miss in 04, and Ball State last year. The team had a sense of relentless on Saturday and I'm pretty sure that is reflective of Bo Pelini's attitude.

I'll start this off with prefacing that I was not, am not and will never be an Callahan supporter.

That being said, I find it interesting on how fans adjust their attitudes to fit what they want to see/hear/expect. With our first two performances, in particular San Jose, I hear a lot of: "Hope we can do this"..."It's still early"..."Positives to take from this" under Bo.

Let's imagine these first two games this year, in particular coming off San Jose, with Callahan still in control. I doubt there would be much 'supportive' opinions right now. Just another one of the interesting takes on we loyal Husker fans.

T.O. hasn't come out and given BO an contract extention yet either after defeating those Juggernaught teams, unlike Pederson did with Callahan to make it seem like this program wasn't going downhill.

It's kind of different to hold a first year coach to the same standard then a fourth year coach who just came off a big 12 North championship. I find it hard to believe that people think BO can wave a wand and make the defense play like All Americans in two games. Though the defense did keep Nebraska in the game the second half and did get better which under Cosgrove probably never happened.

“He needs the players for his system”

“The cupboard is bare”

Also how come when Callahan used True Frosh for only special teams it was the end of the world but after 2 games Fisher, Wald and Dennard were used in this matter and no mention of it anywhere by the peanut gallery. Or Bo saying that he was going to focus on the defense and leave the offense to the offensive coaches, which is no different then Billy C saying he was doing the offense and leaving the defense to the defensive coaches. Pelini also wore blue to the first press conference this year. Or Pelini being a journey man and getting a pass while Elmo got bashed for it. Or the coach speak that Bo throws out at the press conferences granted it isn’t as arrogant as Callahan but it is still straight from the coach speak handbook.

because its 2 games?

If "slick" Billy C were still head coach, we would have lost the SJSU game based on the first game alone. His teams would have given up hope and the game would've become like Southern Miss in 04, and Ball State last year. The team had a sense of relentless on Saturday and I'm pretty sure that is reflective of Bo Pelini's attitude.

?

other than solich loyalists... who was complaining this early in the cally experience anyway. this thread is just silly

Well, I'm not saying I don't support Pelini, because I do. Just like I supported Osborne, Solich, and Callahan. What is being jabbed at is the hypocrisy by a majority in Husker Nation, which I can clearly see. This is not an argument on who is the better coach, because, first of all, we don't know, secondly, who cares at this point? What's done is done. Callahan was in a no-win situation to start with(placed there by Pederson) and he sealed his fate by sticking with his buddy Cosgrove. What is interesting is that things that Callahan was mercilessly hammered for doing, Pelini is getting a pass(burning redshirts for special teams comes to mind for one). I don't have a problem with Pelini doing this, I have a problem with those that hammered Callahan for burning redshirts for special teams duty(eventhough the players VOLUNTEERED FOR THIS) and are praising Pelini for getting the best guys out there, even if they are true freshmen. It just gets a little old and some of this crap needs to get put to bed. Callahan led NU to 2 losing seasons out of 4, which sucks. He also won the first North title since 99. Everything was not pure awful with Callahan, it wasn't all roses either. Do not take this as an endorsement for him still being coach here, because that is NOT what it is, Pelini is our guy now. I think we just need to eliminate the BS.

:boxosoap

With that said, is it Saturday yet?

other than solich loyalists... who was complaining this early in the cally experience anyway. this thread is just silly

Well, I'm not saying I don't support Pelini, because I do. Just like I supported Osborne, Solich, and Callahan. What is being jabbed at is the hypocrisy by a majority in Husker Nation, which I can clearly see. This is not an argument on who is the better coach, because, first of all, we don't know, secondly, who cares at this point? What's done is done. Callahan was in a no-win situation to start with(placed there by Pederson) and he sealed his fate by sticking with his buddy Cosgrove. What is interesting is that things that Callahan was mercilessly hammered for doing, Pelini is getting a pass(burning redshirts for special teams comes to mind for one). I don't have a problem with Pelini doing this, I have a problem with those that hammered Callahan for burning redshirts for special teams duty(eventhough the players VOLUNTEERED FOR THIS) and are praising Pelini for getting the best guys out there, even if they are true freshmen. It just gets a little old and some of this crap needs to get put to bed. Callahan led NU to 2 losing seasons out of 4, which sucks. He also won the first North title since 99. Everything was not pure awful with Callahan, it wasn't all roses either. Do not take this as an endorsement for him still being coach here, because that is NOT what it is, Pelini is our guy now. I think we just need to eliminate the BS.

Right on. :clap:woo

Once again.....Infinite knowledge! I glad you know what all of us lower class Husker fans wanted, and it's impressive how you know what our knowledge of football consist of. The tide commercial keeps coming to mind................Blah Blah Blah Blah

Please tell me where I called someone “lower class”. Also show me where I said anything about people’s football knowledge. :dunno I said the “Average Fan” which means your every day person (which I would include myself in that category). For the record I could care less what happens in the NFL, I think the College game is so much better as I assume a lot of Husker fans share those views.

Thanks for the “Infinite Knowledge” complement though that was too nice of you. :clap I would like to know if my posts are like and I quote “Blah Blah Blah Blah” then why have you responded to so many of them. I do have another question are you my Cyber-stalker? If so I’m flattered. :madash Thanks again for the kind words. <_< Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go study up on my Husker history so I can come around here and tell you “lower class” (again you words not mine) fans how things really are in the Nation. :sarcasm

There were a few that torched BC from the start. I guess I will include myself as part of the few. The two that really come to mind are Benard and FormerFan. I don't necessarily think they were Solich loyalists. They were like me. I didn't have as much of a problem with Solich being fired as I did with the guy replacing him. BC still holds the record for a Super Bowl team completely falling out of the bed the next year. If you were going to fire a coach, you had better have someone in line who is better. BC never fit this. My replacement choice was Butch Davis, but he'd already stated he was staying in the NFL which he did one more year. Then I heard the name Stache thrown out there. This guy is the worst HC ever. Then there was Nutt. IMO, he's just like BC. He can recruit them, but he can't coach them. Then we go through a few more names before we get to BC. The entire coaching search was a joke from the start. Looking back at it now, we should have just taken a Bill Snyder assistant. They seem to be working out pretty well.

Whether Bo becomes the next TO or whether he becomes the next BC really isn't the issue with me. We have now put all of our eggs in one basket. If this thing goes south or stays south, we are in big time trouble as a program. I think Bo will be successful, but I also think he got saddled with a few assistants that he wouldn't have chosen if it were really his call. It's going to take some time, probably more time than BC was given and it's probably going to take somewhat of a staff overhaul as well. I know some of you don't like to compare our program to KU or Mizzou, but really are we that much better than they were at this juncture? It's taken Mangino 7 years. It's taken Pickle 7 or 8 years.

again... 2 games. we dont know that those guys wont be starting at seasons end.