Bill Callahan's Going Away Present

SwiftFan87

"There have been some rough seasons," O'Leary said. "But being here at Nebraska in my senior year, there's probably nothing I would change about it."

He finally got a scholarship in January. O'Leary describes it as a "going-away present" from Bill Callahan. The former coach promised it to O'Leary as the Huskers boarded their plane to Boulder, Colo., in November.

Callahan, of course, was fired a day after the game.

"He kind of gritted his teeth and told me I'd be on scholarship, no matter what happened," O'Leary said. "He really looked out for me. I appreciate that very much."

rest here, http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10428688

I had the opportunity to speak with coach Callahan once. I must admit I truly like the guy. I think he wanted to do great things for this program and that he truly cared about Nebraska and the players. He just did not fit for what ever reason.

But my guess is down the road other things will come up, that shows positives about him. I still wish him luck with the Jets and his future in football.

We need to start being real Nebraska fans and put this behind us though. I am sure the bashers will follow on this thread. To me that is not the Nebraska way. He did the best he could do, not good enough but I think basically a good person in the wrong job.

I had the opportunity to speak with coach Callahan once. I must admit I truly like the guy. I think he wanted to do great things for this program and that he truly cared about Nebraska and the players. He just did not fit for what ever reason.

But my guess is down the road other things will come up, that shows positives about him. I still wish him luck with the Jets and his future in football.

We need to start being real Nebraska fans and put this behind us though. I am sure the bashers will follow on this thread. To me that is not the Nebraska way. He did the best he could do, not good enough but I think basically a good person in the wrong job.

I tend to agree with you there, Skers.

I have a feeling that if I actually met him, I'd sorta like him.

I'll try to give him the benefit of doubt that most of the things he did that were perceived to be wrong were done as a result of things caving down around him...Same with Coz.

I'll try to give him the benefit of doubt that most of the things he did that were perceived to be wrong were done as a result of things caving down around him...Same with Coz.

i really think it was more a personality thing, with him being a huge introvert, not wanting to be seen out in the public, always locked away looking at film, that works if your winning games, but when your not winning it can really hurt you as well.

Allright I'll give Callahan the benefit of the doubt, maybe he is a likeable guy, don't know I never met him. But I draw the line at Cosgrove. That guy had no business being a D coordinator. Look at the MO. game last year and show me the brilliance behind his schemes.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Cally was too corporate for the program, he was just not the guy. You need to understand the tradition that comes with the team, fans and entire state in order to grasp what it means to be our HC. I agree that he may have been an alright guy(as evident with his scholarship promise), but just not Husker material.

Makes me wonder though, he seemed to be on the defensive alot during his time here. If we went 40-10 or something like that, he may have opened up a little and then is he accepted as the HC? But then again, TO was really never an open type of guy, so ....um, I don't know........I'm flaming out........

You guys forget what a snob BC was....and that little fact that he did call us fans a bunch of "sand hillbillies". I don't think he would be the kind of person that I would associate with, unless I was going to his house on Halloween to tee pee it with a bunch of drunk buddies...in my overalls and bare feet of course, and with my corncob pipe hanging from my mouth with the fresh scent of wacky tobaccy coming from it....

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

Cally was too corporate for the program, he was just not the guy. You need to understand the tradition that comes with the team, fans and entire state in order to grasp what it means to be our HC. I agree that he may have been an alright guy(as evident with his scholarship promise), but just not Husker material.

Makes me wonder though, he seemed to be on the defensive alot during his time here. If we went 40-10 or something like that, he may have opened up a little and then is he accepted as the HC? But then again, TO was really never an open type of guy, so ....um, I don't know........I'm flaming out........

Hit the nail on the head. The only real problem was he didn't win enough games.