Fresno St AND MIAMI on future schedule

kstatehater

A coach with attitude no question. Not to be taken lightly in a dark alley is my guess.

I am happy with Bo, a little younger version, a few less hard knocks is my guess. But Pat Hill gets everything out of the kids they have. A tremendous coach, working in one of the tougher areas to recruit to. As someone said before, the Nebraska of California. Nothing but fields of fields. But he loves it there and swears he would never leave.

Yes, I agree, these will make for some very exciting schedules.

And unless we go a long way by then, some very many 6-loss seasons.

I don't totally get the anti-cupcake stigma. That's our preseason. We need a couple of those games - at least one - every year.

You can't schedule cupcakes the first three games, then expect the Big 12 schools to be enough to impress the media or the coaches in their polls. Not only that, the computer SoS will suck. If your going to have an argument that you should be playing for the NC, you better play someone - especially if you don't have the east or west coast media covering you all the time.

Even scheduling the big names may not make that big of an impact...for example, imagine if we had Michigan on our schedule last year or this year, with them losing to a so-called cupcake their first game, it would have hurt us in the long run if we were vying for a claim on the NC. It is not enough to win all your games, but then you have to hope the teams that you beat have a good year to increase the numbers on the strength of schedule numbers that the computer puts out.

What if the Big 12 has some pretty good teams, and we sit around beating each other, and everyone has at least 2 losses? Even though the teams are good, unless they play a big name or two outside the conference and beat them, nobody is going to even consider them for anything but a mid level bowl game even if they do win the conference with 2 losses. So it impacts the bowl that you get too...though I think they kind of look at how many people will actually follow the team and spend the bucks locally for the bowl city, too. There have been years that we would have gotten a lower bowl except the bowl committee knew about our fan following.

It is going to get really interesting now with the parity situation, and the lower level schools all of a sudden having an impact against the big name schools. It may just come down to a lot of numbers on a computer to decide the rankings. As a voter, the press or a coach will have a really hard time figuring out the actual strength of the teams played and who won or lost. This parity could really affect how we do the polls in the future. I know nobody likes the computers, but I could see where they could be a little more accurate in ranking teams in the future...besides, I don't care how big a sports nut you are, nobody has the time or energy to track 120 schools all year long, and know all the ins and outs.

Yeah, you can't do it for three games in a row. But I think you need one cupcake as a tune-up. Teams need a little tune-up, and what better way than to pound a few low-tier or I-AA teams, where there's little pressure, room for mistakes, nice home-game atmosphere? Great way to get your feet wet.

Where would we be, this year, if we were thrown to the wolves and playing a team like Fresno from the get-go? At least this year, we've shown that we really, really need all three of our cupcakes. And maybe even then we won't have all the chinks worked out.

You could say, well, yeah, we've got a new coach. But so? Every year there's something new. There are new players, new positional coaches, new coordinators...

I agree there are lots of interesting angles to look at, in terms of how it affects things like poll rankings and SOS, but I think when they go schedule games, the only concern really would be what's best for the team (well, and money).

On the flipside, scheduling all cupcakes won't be good either because it hardly prepares you for the rigors of conference play. So a middle ground...say, one cupcake, one mid-major, one marquee; with some flexibility, every year. The fourth game, if we have one, could be any of those.

Wouldn't NMSU like to have that Nicholls State game under their belt right now...

Yes, I am sure NMSU would like to have had the Nicholls State game...but not as much as we would like to have had tape of it so we know what to expect. We are pretty much going into this game blind, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We aren't good enough to think that we will just automatically dominate their front line...because frankly, we don't even know what to expect out of OUR team this week....

Yes, I am sure NMSU would like to have had the Nicholls State game...but not as much as we would like to have had tape of it so we know what to expect. We are pretty much going into this game blind, especially on the defensive side of the ball. We aren't good enough to think that we will just automatically dominate their front line...because frankly, we don't even know what to expect out of OUR team this week....

So all things considered, good thing it's NMSU and not Florida.

Miami has reportedly been added for 2014 and 15 for a home and home. Jamrog has mentioned them before that they were in the works now it appears it will happen.

Wow, that is a big get. By that time, Miami may very well be back on top again.

You are 110% right. But come on brotha dawg... you know you would rather lose some sleep thinking about playing Miami in week 2 than wondering who's returning kickoffs against Nicholls State. :)

And hopefully the Huskers are back in the top again as well as possibly Miami. Cuz that's like 6 or 7 years from now.

Yeah, you can't do it for three games in a row. But I think you need one cupcake as a tune-up. Teams need a little tune-up, and what better way than to pound a few low-tier or I-AA teams, where there's little pressure, room for mistakes, nice home-game atmosphere? Great way to get your feet wet.

Where would we be, this year, if we were thrown to the wolves and playing a team like Fresno from the get-go? At least this year, we've shown that we really, really need all three of our cupcakes. And maybe even then we won't have all the chinks worked out.

You could say, well, yeah, we've got a new coach. But so? Every year there's something new. There are new players, new positional coaches, new coordinators...

I agree there are lots of interesting angles to look at, in terms of how it affects things like poll rankings and SOS, but I think when they go schedule games, the only concern really would be what's best for the team (well, and money).

On the flipside, scheduling all cupcakes won't be good either because it hardly prepares you for the rigors of conference play. So a middle ground...say, one cupcake, one mid-major, one marquee; with some flexibility, every year. The fourth game, if we have one, could be any of those.

Wouldn't NMSU like to have that Nicholls State game under their belt right now...

Absolutely agree. Good stuff. Especially agree with the idea of a light, middle, heavy schedule. Plus the bonus 4th game.

I.E.

Toledo

Fresno State

Miami, Fla

at South Carolina

I will add that I think there's something to say in name familiarity. If the Huskers play against San Jose State, people will not pay much attention. But if the Huskers play someone like South Carolina, they will. And both games are legitimately winnable. Only one of the teams is camouflaged because of name recognition. It's a crazy theory that I think works. It's like when CU had like, FSU & Washington on their schedule several years ago and it sounded like madness. But both those teams they played were not the same as they once were.

My example above says to me "okay, not the toughest but definitely up against a challenge". And yet the Huskers today could battle through that with a 4-0 record. Not saying easily, but definitely winnable. While the schedule appears to carry a lot of weight.