Hand out some Blackshirts...it is time!!

It is Bo's team not ours. He makes the choices. My guess he wants to see them against real competition. He knows they quit last year. He wants to see them take that first hit in the mouth and see what happens. He knows his leaders, but the rest are questionable is my guess.

There may not be black shirts this year. Really no big deal. You play the game to win, not for a stinken shirt. Do your job to the level the coach demands and you will have your shirt, if not do it till you can have a shirt. They need to be earned, and most of all appreciated. They are an honor, and a traditon that has been disgraced. There is no reason to rush back to it. Proof is in the pudding. Bo knows.

Amen to that...

The only threads i've seen in the past week either have half the board doubtin Bo, or gettin on his a$$ for not handing out Blackshirts.

Aren't there bigger things coming up on the horizon???

Like Va Tech, Mizzou, or Tx Tech???

Y'all need to get a little focus back, and worry about what's important...

Evidently there are some people that don't know what being a blackshirt means if they think the whole flippin' defense gets them at once. BC had corrupted your little brains....get help and soon.

Blackshirts are to be given to INDIVIDUALS that have proven themselves as worthy, not just given to the whole defensive unit. If all they wanted to do is tell the offense from the defense, all they would have to do is put the offense in white and the defense in red, there would be no flippin' blackshirts. What is so damn hard to understand about that?

If you are one of those people that I am talking about, you need to read up on the tradition that comes with the blackshirts PRIOR to Callahan coming in and screwing up the whole defense. You are evidently too young and naive to remember, or if you are old enough to remember you have alzheimers and have forgotten what it was before Callahan.

Yeah, I am being blunt...but some of you all need a wake up call...the coffee is being served, come and get it. Step away from the Callahan Kool Aid...walk into the light....

Okay, maybe I'm missing something:

The term originally dates back to the early 1960s and refers to the black practice jerseys that Nebraska's first-string defenders wear in practice. The first string defense came to wear black practice jerseys in 1964, when a defensive coach went to a local sporting goods store to get yellow practice jerseys, and black was the only color available. The defensive coach and Bob Devaney decided that black practice jerseys would make identifying their defensive starters much easier during practices. Quickly identifying starting players, made coaching them much more efficient.

Team, team, team.

The term originally dates back to the early 1960s and refers to the black practice jerseys that Nebraska's first-string defenders wear in practice. The first string defense came to wear black practice jerseys in 1964, when a defensive coach went to a local sporting goods store to get yellow practice jerseys, and black was the only color available. The defensive coach and Bob Devaney decided that black practice jerseys would make identifying their defensive starters much easier during practices. Quickly identifying starting players, made coaching them much more efficient.

Team, team, team.

Look at more recent history and you will also find that Osborne didn't hand them out to just anyone. You earned it. Having a black jersey signified that you were one of the leaders of the defense, not just a starter. BC is the one that kicked the thought that the whole defense should have them back in to the game....and if I read Bo right, they aren't going to be handed to anyone that just starts.

In the end...Bo will decide, but my bet is that not everyone is going to be getting them....and I am in total agreement with that. Otherwise, just give the defense a red jersey, and the offense white jerseys...I am sure they can afford the laundry detergent for the white jerseys.

Fancy cliche's aside (98Proof Pudding?)

When was a Defensive starter NOT handed a Blackshirt prior to the BC or BP eras?

I shudder to think what would happen to team chemistry if only Steinkuhler or Glen had gotten one so far.

Individuals just trying to take care of their responsibilities and not backing each other up resulted in what we saw last season..

Here's a cliche' for ya.

"All for One and One for All"!!

When was a Defensive starter NOT handed a Blackshirt prior to the BC or BP eras?

I shudder to think what would happen to team chemistry if only Steinkuhler or Glen had gotten one so far.

Individuals just trying to take care of their responsibilities and not backing each other up resulted in what we saw last season..

Here's a cliche' for ya.

"All for One and One for All"!! :wtf

<_< This IS Husker Football, not the three mouseketeers.

Team, team, team.

Look at more recent history and you will also find that Osborne didn't hand them out to just anyone. You earned it. Having a black jersey signified that you were one of the leaders of the defense, not just a starter. BC is the one that kicked the thought that the whole defense should have them back in to the game....and if I read Bo right, they aren't going to be handed to anyone that just starts.

In the end...Bo will decide, but my bet is that not everyone is going to be getting them....and I am in total agreement with that. Otherwise, just give the defense a red jersey, and the offense white jerseys...I am sure they can afford the laundry detergent for the white jerseys.

:yeah

Couldn't disagree with you more, trucker. And I am plenty old enough to remember the pre-Calli days, and alzheimers hasn't set in quite yet, I don't think, anyway....what were you sayin?.........Ah yes Blackshirts. Look, an individual does earn his black shirt on his own, by working his ass off and getting to the point where the coaches name him a starter, ergo the Blackshirts (plural) defense. Simple as that. When this starting unit gets to the point they are worthy of the title, they will be Blackshirts.

Having said all that I agree with Huzkerbob, let's not get to wrapped in the color of anyone's shirt at practice and worry about shutting down the likes a Va tech and Misery.

VA Tech will be our first big game of the season. This will be a good test for our defense and I think we need to wait until after VA Tech to hand out the shirts. That will be great motivation going into the Mizzou game.

i really still dont think VaTech will be a good test for our defense as VaTechs offense is anemic. It will be a good test for our offense though.

Here's a cliche' for ya.

"All for One and One for All"!!

<_< This IS Husker Football, not the three mouseketeers.

But you didn't answer my Question, Annette..er Cubby..uhhhh..Sonny panama.gif

(I got you by ~7 monthsx4irly.gif)

Has there ever been a Defensive starter not have a Blackshirt under Devaney or Osborne?

I'd be curious to hear what Jason Peter thinks about this one..(Anybody hear anything about it on his talkin' radio box show? Next to the Victorola?).icon_bigsmurf.gif

Accd to this..It almost sounds like the Blackshirt thing has escalated beyond its innitial intentions...

uD3C5byNSng&feature

VA Tech will be our first big game of the season. This will be a good test for our defense and I think we need to wait until after VA Tech to hand out the shirts. That will be great motivation going into the Mizzou game.

i really still dont think VaTech will be a good test for our defense as VaTechs offense is anemic. It will be a good test for our offense though.

Why do more people not understand this? LOL

Anyways, I think they should be handed out as a UNIT not individually. They play as one and die as one and need to think that way. That being said though I also think people are making too big a deal of it and need to cool down.