Hand out some Blackshirts...it is time!!

Looking at VT's offensive numbers today...they weren't that impressive...then GT didn't do much better. That must have been a defensive battle, or VT has a lot of problems on offense and we will take advantage of it.

Give the blackshirts out...not a lot of them...but a few, lets go into that game flying high.

I think Bo will hand them out to the entire defense not just individuals. He needs to instill the team mentality, if there is one person undeserving of the Blackshirt then the entire defensive squad is undeserving. Live and die as one.

NO!!! That was BC's mistake #1. You don't just give them out. they have to be individually earned.

I didnt say just give them out. I said i think he will give them out because the defense played as a unit. However if one person is not deserving then the entire unit is UNdeserving. Everyone must be ready to receive the shirt not just individuals. Individualizing creates jealousy.

Looking at VT's offensive numbers today...they weren't that impressive...then GT didn't do much better. That must have been a defensive battle, or VT has a lot of problems on offense and we will take advantage of it.

Give the blackshirts out...not a lot of them...but a few, lets go into that game flying high.

I think Bo will hand them out to the entire defense not just individuals. He needs to instill the team mentality, if there is one person undeserving of the Blackshirt then the entire defensive squad is undeserving. Live and die as one.

NO!!! That was BC's mistake #1. You don't just give them out. They have to be individually earned. Otherwise we have a defensive unit that will forget what it takes to earn a blackshirt, and they will start quitting when things go bad. You have to give 110% all the time your on the field, or you don't deserve one.

Yeah, you have to give them to all or none(starters and key backups). You walk through the locker room and just hand out 5 or 6, creates to much drama, bitterness, etc. TEAM not ME.......and I think you have to wait one more week and only if they play as well vs. VaTech.

GBR

GBR

I don't say much and i lurk a lot...

This defense has proven that, as a unit, these guys deserve to be wearing blackshirts before Virginia Tech. These players play with much more passion and fire than any time I've seen in the last several years. Although, this was NMS's 1st game, they were also a proven top-notch offensive team with several returning starters from last year. These young fellas have earned their right to wear blackshirts. I see posters nickle and dime the penalties here, missed assignments there. Every team from every season makes them. Even our championship defenses made mistakes...otherwise the other teams would have never scored any points. In all phases, our team played very good football for the majority of the game. Bring on Virginia Tech, they have a very hungry team waiting for them and we have 2 weeks to prepare.

NO!!! That was BC's mistake #1. You don't just give them out. they have to be individually earned.

I didnt say just give them out. I said i think he will give them out because the defense played as a unit. However if one person is not deserving then the entire unit is UNdeserving. Everyone must be ready to receive the shirt not just individuals. Individualizing creates jealousy.

Nope...I will never agree with that, not after what we saw last year. You have to make it so individuals have the chance to earn it on defense...that way we have leaders on defense. I don't think Bo is just going to hand them out to the starters...I think he even made that comment when he took the job and was asked about it. I guess we shall see...if Bo is even ready to hand them out. But I think there are maybe 3 players that are playing with what it takes to earn one. Not everybody.

I really think when you give out blackshirts, you give them out as a team. Team mentality. Unity Council. All good teams don't run on individual power. Look at the Patriots as a good example in the NFL. That's a system not about individual merit.

I like the idea that the defense should earn it as a unit. If there's one guy on that squad not pulling his weight, then the entire unit doesn't get blackshirts. That's accountability.

Nope...I will never agree with that, not after what we saw last year. You have to make it so individuals have the chance to earn it on defense...that way we have leaders on defense. I don't think Bo is just going to hand them out to the starters...I think he even made that comment when he took the job and was asked about it. I guess we shall see...if Bo is even ready to hand them out. But I think there are maybe 3 players that are playing with what it takes to earn one. Not everybody.

I think last years problem was the defense was playing as individuals. But we shall see what happens. Only Bo knows...........and god.

Nope, not yet...

If they hold Va Tech to less than 7 next week, then maybe...

Yeah, after vtech, we'll see. Great effort tonight though.

I think ideally though, you don't want to wait and see after Virginia Tech. Because then just when are you going to hand them out?

After Missouri?...Texas Tech?...

No, if they put the wood to Va Tech, then you give them out...

These aren't freakin' lollipops, they're Blackshirts.

They are like Ranger Tabs or Green Berets, these things must be earned with pain, heart, and determination...

If last season proved anything..It was that Individuals cannot win..We win as a TEAM.

If not now, then consider them unobtainable and do away with the blackshirts this season.

Can you imagine what would've happened with the '95 or '97 Blackshirts if one of their "brothers" didn't have one or had it taken away?

They probably would've mutinied or given their's back.

Nope, not yet...

If they hold Va Tech to less than 7 next week, then maybe...

Yeah, after vtech, we'll see. Great effort tonight though.

I think ideally though, you don't want to wait and see after Virginia Tech. Because then just when are you going to hand them out?

After Missouri?...Texas Tech?...

No, if they put the wood to Va Tech, then you give them out...

These aren't freakin' lollipops, they're Blackshirts.

They are like Ranger Tabs or Green Berets, these things must be earned with pain, heart, and determination...

Yes, and they aren't things that are given freely and taken away on a week-by-week basis. Then it really loses its meaning. At some point these guys are going to earn it. But they're going to get gashed this year too.

I think the blackshirts can be a powerful motivator. Give 'em out before the Tech game (if they show focus and dedication through the week) and these guys may be pumped up to live up to it on the field. Now, what if they don't put the wood to Tech? Then we're staring at getting run all over by Missouri and Texas Tech.

Then the season's half over, and what's Bo going to do, hand them out after pasting a patsy like Iowa State or Baylor? Fine, and then what happens if/when they get run over by Kansas?

I think we've reached a point in this season where the guys have just about earned it. You can't hold off the blackshirts for too long before it becomes a distraction to the players. Give it to them on the last practice before Tech as a way of saying, "Good. Now you guys are ready for the season to start."

Anyways, in future years (and past), wouldn't blackshirts be given out at the beginning of the season, rather than wait until they have a good showing against a non-creampuff team?

I think the blackshirts can be a powerful motivator. Give 'em out before the Tech game (if they show focus and dedication through the week) and these guys may be pumped up to live up to it on the field. Now, what if they don't put the wood to Tech? Then we're staring at getting run all over by Missouri and Texas Tech.

The Blackshirts aren't meant to be a motivational tool...they're meant that you've already proved who you are.

Yes, and they aren't things that are given freely and taken away on a week-by-week basis. Then it really loses its meaning. At some point these guys are going to earn it. But they're going to get gashed this year too.

Thats why if they play their asses off against Va Tech, then, give it to them.

Thats exactly why you give the Blackshirts out before Mizzou. This will inspire confidence in them.

Then the season's half over, and what's Bo going to do, hand them out after pasting a patsy like Iowa State or Baylor? Fine, and then what happens if/when they get run over by Kansas?

No, Bo won't wait that long.

I think we've reached a point in this season where the guys have just about earned it. You can't hold off the blackshirts for too long before it becomes a distraction to the players. Give it to them on the last practice before Tech as a way of saying, "Good. Now you guys are ready for the season to start."

We're just not there yet. They put up a very good performance tonight, but wasn't this a team we were supposed to beat? In two weeks, they show up, and knock Va Tech on their ass, then you give it to them.

Anyways, in future years (and past), wouldn't blackshirts be given out at the beginning of the season, rather than wait until they have a good showing against a non-creampuff team?

So, you want to give them out now, after we've beaten a "cream puff" team? Not too mention, this isn't a "standard" year for Nebraska football. We're coming off an embarrassing season, and order has to be restored.

Blackshirts are just "given out", they are earned...