Hand out some Blackshirts...it is time!!

Looking at VT's offensive numbers today...they weren't that impressive...then GT didn't do much better. That must have been a defensive battle, or VT has a lot of problems on offense and we will take advantage of it.

Give the blackshirts out...not a lot of them...but a few, lets go into that game flying high.

I think Bo will hand them out to the entire defense not just individuals. He needs to instill the team mentality, if there is one person undeserving of the Blackshirt then the entire defensive squad is undeserving. Live and die as one.

NO!!! That was BC's mistake #1. You don't just give them out. They have to be individually earned. Otherwise we have a defensive unit that will forget what it takes to earn a blackshirt, and they will start quitting when things go bad. You have to give 110% all the time your on the field, or you don't deserve one.

As a team is how TO and Co did it.

This NMSU team was horrible...handing out blackshirts now, against this pathetic bunch, would be like handing out coaching contract extensions...and we all know how idiotic someone looked doing that b.s.... <_<

that has to be a joke?? do you REALIZE what kind of offense NMSU has? just because their defense sucks, or its their 1st game doesn't mean their offense has lost everything.... ffs, thats a ridiculous reason....

for all intensive purposes, the Blackshirts threw a shut out tonight... you can't help the opposing team getting the ball on the 2 yard line... even with all the penalties, bs or not, they stood up and stood strong when backed up...

Yes, the TEAM deserves to get the blackshirts... that is what they are.. marking the 1st TEAM defense... you don't give them out as individuals because then it singles individuals out.. they are a TEAM thing, not an individual thing...

Yes, give the blackshirts out, that defense played awesome tonight. Thank you.

Yes, and they aren't things that are given freely and taken away on a week-by-week basis. Then it really loses its meaning. At some point these guys are going to earn it. But they're going to get gashed this year too.

Thats why if they play their asses off against Va Tech, then, give it to them.

I think the blackshirts can be a powerful motivator. Give 'em out before the Tech game (if they show focus and dedication through the week) and these guys may be pumped up to live up to it on the field. Now, what if they don't put the wood to Tech? Then we're staring at getting run all over by Missouri and Texas Tech.

Thats exactly why you give the Blackshirts out before Mizzou. This will inspire confidence in them.

Then the season's half over, and what's Bo going to do, hand them out after pasting a patsy like Iowa State or Baylor? Fine, and then what happens if/when they get run over by Kansas?

No, Bo won't wait that long.

I think we've reached a point in this season where the guys have just about earned it. You can't hold off the blackshirts for too long before it becomes a distraction to the players. Give it to them on the last practice before Tech as a way of saying, "Good. Now you guys are ready for the season to start."

We're just not there yet. They put up a very good performance tonight, but wasn't this a team we were supposed to beat? In two weeks, they show up, and knock Va Tech on their ass, then you give it to them.

Anyways, in future years (and past), wouldn't blackshirts be given out at the beginning of the season, rather than wait until they have a good showing against a non-creampuff team?

So, you want to give them out now, after we've beaten a "cream puff" team? Not too mention, this isn't a "standard" year for Nebraska football. We're coming off an embarrassing season, and order has to be restored.

Blackshirts are just "given out", they are earned...

There was a time when you earned your blackshirt when you made the starting 11 on D. They didn't take them away after losing to Miami 31-0 in the Orange Bowl, god that one hurt, or any other low point in team history until 2003. This whole notion of giving them out if they earned them Bo started in his first stint in '03. It is a starting D team mentality, they are now playing as a team and playing with determination. They should have their blackshirts, Bo made a point to instill in them what it means to get them. Point made, time to heal the team for good.

This NMSU team was horrible...handing out blackshirts now, against this pathetic bunch, would be like handing out coaching contract extensions...and we all know how idiotic someone looked doing that b.s.... <_<

that has to be a joke?? do you REALIZE what kind of offense NMSU has? just because their defense sucks, or its their 1st game doesn't mean their offense has lost everything.... ffs, thats a ridiculous reason....

for all intensive purposes, the Blackshirts threw a shut out tonight... you can't help the opposing team getting the ball on the 2 yard line... even with all the penalties, bs or not, they stood up and stood strong when backed up...

Yes, the TEAM deserves to get the blackshirts... that is what they are.. marking the 1st TEAM defense... you don't give them out as individuals because then it singles individuals out.. they are a TEAM thing, not an individual thing...

Uh huh...give me New Mexico State's record over the last few seasons...tell me how many Blackshirts Boise State and Hawaii should've given out last year based on their high-powered defense vs. NMSU

Uh huh...give me New Mexico State's record over the last few seasons...tell me how many Blackshirts Boise State and Hawaii should've given out last year based on their high-powered defense vs. NMSU

career 70% completion percentage.

3688 yards. 26 touchdowns. 70.2% completion percentage -- all last season..

just because their defense sucks doesn't mean sh#t...

and don't just act like those are their only games... even with hawaii they put up 13, more than us.... at AUBURN, they put up 20.. thats an SEC defense..

explain what this defense didn't do to NOT deserve the blackshirts?

The defense is looking better. They are improving. Va Tech is in 2 weeks. Now seems like a good time as any.

Besides, how are you to support the Blackshirts if they arent the Blackshirts?

I didn't say they aren't improving...they just aren't blackshirts yet.

Better no question, but no blackshirts yet. Beat someone with a pulse before we start thinking the corner is turned.

If they can handle VaTech in two weeks I will be for it.

But in honesty, I saw nothing tonight to change my mind on their ability. We did less than what we should have as far as scoring is concerned. This was the easist team on the schedule, can not judge the season by this game.

I like the effort, but what level of athletes were they competing with. Watch SC play, those guys are blackshirts. Nothing to get excited about here at this time. Two weeks we will know if we have a black shirt on the team. Not until.

Okay, yes, NMSU was a creampuff. But in say, 1997, when were the blackshirts given out? 1995? 1994? It was actually before any games (right?). I don't think of handing out blackshirts as a reward for a good game. It's not like they wait until they have a good game against a good team before giving them out every year. I don't think blackshirts are medals...but an attitude. A symbol, the colors for the defensive squad.

I don't know, I think I'm just feeling it this week...the atmosphere seems ripe for blackshirts to be unveiled and for this team to buckle down and get things started. They're ready to take on the season; how they do will be up to them.

I think you can only send the "you're not ready yet" message so many times. The season is upon us, for real, no more tune-ups, no more scrimmages, no more wait and see. Time for the training wheels to come off.

It is just my opinion though, to be fair; in the end, the only one that matters is Bo's.

Better no question, but no blackshirts yet. Beat someone with a pulse before we start thinking the corner is turned.

If they can handle VaTech in two weeks I will be for it.

But in honesty, I saw nothing tonight to change my mind on their ability. We did less than what we should have as far as scoring is concerned. This was the easist team on the schedule, can not judge the season by this game.

I like the effort, but what level of athletes were they competing with. Watch SC play, those guys are blackshirts. Nothing to get excited about here at this time. Two weeks we will know if we have a black shirt on the team. Not until.

so giving up a Touchdown that was caused by our offense fumbling a snap and ensuing recovery return to our 3 yard line is too much scoring for you? If it weren't for that the D pitched a shut out. I like how we are all of the sudden judging who is worthy of a blackshirt. Under TO, you got them when you made the starting 11 on D. Bo has withheld them to help instill the pride in that symbol again, he will decide if the starting 11 on D is ready or not.

I think Bo hands them out. The defense really was disruptive tonight. They really showed some heart when NMSU was on the 2 yd line and we were able to back them up, even after two penalties and then get the pick. They never gave up, last years defense would have rolled over and Mckeon would have layed out the red carpet for them to walk into the endzone.

That was total f***en BS. Two pass interference calls, total BS. I was hittin the walls. But hey the Huskers won, so. :bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

Actually, they weren't. Our guys went over the top of them BOTH times. Very legit calls, but very boneheaded mistakes. OUr defense otherwise played really well IMO. I just got home from the game and I am happy. If it wasnt for that late fumble by Witt and runback to the 2 yard line I dont like NMSU would have scored at all. Overall, Im happy. Team made some strides and I'm unbelievably surprised we didnt give out more passing yards. Holbrook(sp?) is a helluva QB.