Hand out some Blackshirts...it is time!!

Okay, yes, NMSU was a creampuff. But in say, 1997, when were the blackshirts given out? 1995? 1994? It was actually before any games (right?). I don't think of handing out blackshirts as a reward for a good game.

I don't know, I think I'm just feeling it this week...the atmosphere seems ripe for blackshirts to be unveiled and for this team to buckle down and get things started. They're ready to take on the season; how they do will be up to them.

I think you can only send the "you're not ready yet" message so many times. The season is upon us, for real, no more tune-ups, no more scrimmages, no more wait and see. Time for the training wheels to come off.

It is just my opinion though, to be fair; in the end, the only one that matters is Bo's.

:yeah These were original handed out when the 2 deep was named for the season, BEFORE ANY GAMES WERE PLAYED.

This NMSU team was horrible...handing out blackshirts now, against this pathetic bunch, would be like handing out coaching contract extensions...and we all know how idiotic someone looked doing that b.s.... <_<

that has to be a joke?? do you REALIZE what kind of offense NMSU has? just because their defense sucks, or its their 1st game doesn't mean their offense has lost everything.... ffs, thats a ridiculous reason....

for all intensive purposes, the Blackshirts threw a shut out tonight... you can't help the opposing team getting the ball on the 2 yard line... even with all the penalties, bs or not, they stood up and stood strong when backed up...

Yes, the TEAM deserves to get the blackshirts... that is what they are.. marking the 1st TEAM defense... you don't give them out as individuals because then it singles individuals out.. they are a TEAM thing, not an individual thing...

Yes, give the blackshirts out, that defense played awesome tonight. Thank you.

Uh huh...give me New Mexico State's record over the last few seasons...tell me how many Blackshirts Boise State and Hawaii should've given out last year based on their high-powered defense vs. NMSU

career 70% completion percentage.

3688 yards. 26 touchdowns. 70.2% completion percentage -- all last season..

just because their defense sucks doesn't mean sh#t...

and don't just act like those are their only games... even with hawaii they put up 13, more than us.... at AUBURN, they put up 20.. thats an SEC defense..

explain what this defense didn't do to NOT deserve the blackshirts?

there must be blackshirts at Colorado and Fresno State...they seem to be able to shut them down effectively...the same CU Buffs that shut them out in 2005 we throttled 30-3, iirc

I didn't say they aren't improving...they just aren't blackshirts yet.

by what accord? seriously?? Maybe you don't understand this, but the 90's are never coming back... we WILL NOT have that dominating of a defense, nobody probably will...

You don't know that. USC looked pretty damn amazing tonight. Let them beat VT. If its dominating, hand them out. Don't reward punishing a lower level WAC team.

This NMSU team was horrible...handing out blackshirts now, against this pathetic bunch, would be like handing out coaching contract extensions...and we all know how idiotic someone looked doing that b.s.... <_<

that has to be a joke?? do you REALIZE what kind of offense NMSU has? just because their defense sucks, or its their 1st game doesn't mean their offense has lost everything.... ffs, thats a ridiculous reason....

for all intensive purposes, the Blackshirts threw a shut out tonight... you can't help the opposing team getting the ball on the 2 yard line... even with all the penalties, bs or not, they stood up and stood strong when backed up...

Yes, the TEAM deserves to get the blackshirts... that is what they are.. marking the 1st TEAM defense... you don't give them out as individuals because then it singles individuals out.. they are a TEAM thing, not an individual thing...

Uh huh...give me New Mexico State's record over the last few seasons...tell me how many Blackshirts Boise State and Hawaii should've given out last year based on their high-powered defense vs. NMSU

Your ignorance makes me laugh. Im not saying NMSU is the greatest team in the land but you do realize they had a top 5 passing attack in the nation last year and that Holbrook passed for almost 4000 yards and passed for almost 5000 the year before? Regardless of thier defense or anything else, their offense can be potent. Dont be ignorant to the facts.

I didn't say they aren't improving...they just aren't blackshirts yet.

by what accord? seriously?? Maybe you don't understand this, but the 90's are never coming back... we WILL NOT have that dominating of a defense, nobody probably will...

You don't know that. USC looked pretty damn amazing tonight. Let them beat VT. If its dominating, hand them out. Don't reward punishing a lower level WAC team.

That's kind of the problem with handing out blackshirts in-season. Because it tends to get looked at as a reward. And I so I ask you: what single game performance (or even a couple of games) *would* be worthy of such a reward?

Blackshirts transcend 'reward' status. I think - first, that I'm repeating myself so I'll shut up soon :) - I think that this is the perfect time to hand them out, at the start of our actual season. Earlier they're out the better. The attitude that these guys have shown tell us that they've really reinvented their outlook from last year, which I think was the point. But who knows.

Your ignorance makes me laugh. Im not saying NMSU is the greatest team in the land but you do realize they had a top 5 passing attack in the nation last year and that Holbrook passed for almost 4000 yards and passed for almost 5000 the year before? Regardless of thier defense or anything else, their offense can be potent. Dont be ignorant to the facts.

And thank you for being ignorant to the conferences...you act like NMSU plays in a defensive-oriented conference...quite the opposite...look at the defensive stats of EVERYONE they played last year...sadly, they were all better than Nebraska's, but suddenly you can vault us above all that in three games, good for you.

And thank you for being ignorant to the conferences...you act like NMSU plays in a defensive-oriented conference...quite the opposite...look at the defensive stats of EVERYONE they played last year...sadly, they were all better than Nebraska's, but suddenly you can vault us above all that in three games, good for you.

I think if we smoke VA Tech and play a helluva defensive game, it's time to bring them out. My only fear is handing them out only to see us destroyed by Missouri the next week. However the mental reward of getting them after going 4-0 and heading into Big XII play might yield some results. It's a hard decision to make, but I feel that our guys have either reached or are teetering on the brink of the point of having earned them. They played great tonight against a spread team with big numbers last season. They should be proud of themselves and each other. The Blackshirts aren't far away.

Never said Im thinking we are the best out there. Far from and we have a lot of work to be done, but throwing for that kind of yardage in ANY conference is worthy of respect. Im guessing you think that Brennan guy from Hawaii was a joke for the last few years too?

I understand perfectly about the conferences and as I said Im NOT saying NMSU is the best out there by far but god damn, give some respect when due.

where is USC located? How easy is it to recruit there? and even then, what about Ohio State's offense tonight would you say was actually difficult to stop?

We are in Nebraska, we don't have a defense full of a couple 4 and mainly 5 star guys.. no matter what that means, they are athletes... we have to bring in kids, coach them up, and get them to play over their potential....

and yet again i'll ask you.. what is there about Va Tech's offense that is so deserving of blackshirts if we stop them that there isn't about NMSU's???

you still haven't responded to Auburn.

What is wrong with Auburn's SEC tough d?

where is USC located? How easy is it to recruit there? and even then, what about Ohio State's offense tonight would you say was actually difficult to stop?

We are in Nebraska, we don't have a defense full of a couple 4 and mainly 5 star guys.. no matter what that means, they are athletes... we have to bring in kids, coach them up, and get them to play over their potential....

and yet again i'll ask you.. what is there about Va Tech's offense that is so deserving of blackshirts if we stop them that there isn't about NMSU's???

If anything I actually think NMSU has a better offense than VTech. VaTech does have a ton better of a D though.

Okay, yes, NMSU was a creampuff. But in say, 1997, when were the blackshirts given out? 1995? 1994? It was actually before any games (right?). I don't think of handing out blackshirts as a reward for a good game. It's not like they wait until they have a good game against a good team before giving them out every year. I don't think blackshirts are medals...but an attitude. A symbol, the colors for the defensive squad.

I don't know, I think I'm just feeling it this week...the atmosphere seems ripe for blackshirts to be unveiled and for this team to buckle down and get things started. They're ready to take on the season; how they do will be up to them.

I think you can only send the "you're not ready yet" message so many times. The season is upon us, for real, no more tune-ups, no more scrimmages, no more wait and see. Time for the training wheels to come off.

It is just my opinion though, to be fair; in the end, the only one that matters is Bo's.

:yeah

Depending on their focus durring the next couple weeks of practice..They'll hopefully earn them then..not after a game..And not as individuals.

Hand out black shirts when they have earned them vs a GOOD team!

Didn't you get the memo?

Parity=They're ALL good...Just no more Great teams :angry:

If anything I actually think NMSU has a better offense than VTech. VaTech does have a ton better of a D though.

that's my point... that's what i'm getting at.... but some people don't seem to get that.... this is no question about our offense or their d... yes VTech is OBVIOUSLY a better football team than NMSU... but football has multiple aspects, we're talkin about our d... so you're point there is perfect

Handing them out after this victory, not a good time.

If they play as a cohesive unit, facing good competition, then, give them out.

But not after we've beaten NMSU. Top 5 passing attack with the QB throwing for over 4000 yards isn't hard to do if that's your offense. All that tells me is that they've got a hell of a QB but aren't a threat to anyone in the near future.