VaTech might give blackshirts back

JHaWk

I watched the Nebraska game and saw an inspired defense, just not against quality competition. If the NU D plays well against VaTech, i think Bo should give the blackshirts back.

That could really give a confidence boost for the Mizzou game. God knows that every North team is going to need everything they can get to stop mizzou.

We're in this together now my fellow mizzou haters.

yet again i will ask..

what has Va Tech's offense shown that it even possibly MAY be better than NMSU's??

or San Jose St, or Western Michigan

Total Offense Rankings

WMU 54th

SJSU 66th

NMSU 79th

VaTech 107th

Scoring Offense Rankings

WMU 34th

SJSU 88th

NMSU 118th

VaTech 78th

We need to have a good defensive showing against mizzou and T Tech before he gives them out IMO

so basically you're saying hskr, that the team doesn't deserve something that is a symbol of the 1st team defense, until they shut down 2 of the top offenses in the nation? Then what is the point of even having blackshirts anymore? why don't we just completely disregard the tradition?

they deserve to get them back this week. they'll get them back this week.

Be patient folks. Having or not having Blackshirts isn't going to make one damn bit of difference in how the "D" plays. It's a great tradition yes, but that tradition was lost basically 4 seasons ago.

I think it would be cool if select former Blackshirts were given the authority to hand out the Blackshirts to their respective position when that player earns it.

Guys, if we lay it to Va Tech the bottom line will be that Va Tech isn't even a ranked team and have struggled in a bad way this season so far.

Now is that a good reason to hand out blackshirts?

Why don't we wait to the end of the year, cumulatively review our defensive performance, see how good the teams we played eventually fared in their seasons, and then give out blackshirts for the off-season? Oh...that would be kind of pointless, wouldn't it.

Blackshirts represent our starting D. Given that this is an atypical year, given that we came off of 2007 the way we did, it is fair to say that this defense would have to re-earn the right to be called the Nebraska starting D. With focus, dedication, and attitude, not just game performance and SOS. And if they're to be given out at all, it should be fairly early in the season.

Now it's more subjective if you want to argue whether VT or Missouri should be the symbolic start of the season for the D. I think VT, personally.

I think it would be cool if select former Blackshirts were given the authority to hand out the Blackshirts to their respective position when that player earns it.

Ooooh, I don't think so. First, that wouldn't be handing them out as a team, and second, that's getting into the waters of playing preferences with former players. A connection to former Blackshirts would be cool - if you included all of them. Yes, that includes Corey McKeon. And no, the last four years didn't just not happen.

It'll happen when it happens. Mark's in charge. Whatever.

It's probably a good thing he hasn't given them out yet. NU's needs at least a season of not severely sucking on defense for the Blackshirt name to mean anything anymore.

Agreed on the name meaning anything... It will probably take quite a bit more than that before the name means anything. But the kids have to play like they are the blackshirts, because they are. With or without the blackshirts symbol there.

Again we need to show the tenacity that the Blackshirts were known for. We are on the right track, but we aren't quite there yet. Playing and beating three easy teams isn't going to let us know where we are. This last game definately was alot better than the first two, but NMSU was supposed to be our easiest opponent out of those three games.

yet again i will ask..

what has Va Tech's offense shown that it even possibly MAY be better than NMSU's??

Total Offense Rankings

WMU 54th

SJSU 66th

NMSU 79th

VaTech 107th

Scoring Offense Rankings

WMU 34th

SJSU 88th

NMSU 118th

VaTech 78th

EXACTLY. Seriously, VaTech is going to have a heck of a time moving the ball against us. Yesterday, they managed to assemble an astonishing 48 yards passing against Georgia Tech.

Also, slightly off-topic but on the defensive side of the ball, VaTech is surrendering 334 yards per game so far to rank 59th in total defense in the NCAA. Not too scary if you ask me.

yet again i will ask..

Total Offense Rankings

WMU 54th

SJSU 66th

NMSU 79th

VaTech 107th

Scoring Offense Rankings

WMU 34th

SJSU 88th

NMSU 118th

VaTech 78th

We need to have a good defensive showing against mizzou and T Tech before he gives them out IMO

Those rankings can be a little misleading this early in the season.

Most have been acumulated against less than intimidating opponents in some cases.

The newly unredshirted QB for Va. Tech looks like he might give us a few different problems than we've faced so far..

ncf_g_taylor01_300.jpg

Taylor new face of Virgina Tech's offense

Taylor new face of Virgina Tech's offense

September 13, 2008 9:42 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Tyrod Taylor was 9-for-14 for just 48 yards, but also ran for 74 yards on 15 attempts. He scored on a 2-yard run late in the first half.

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- This is not about what Virginia Tech quarterback Sean Glennon can't do.

It's about what Tyrod Taylor can do in the absence of pass protection, experienced receivers and a go-to tailback. Taylor can scramble, can make something out of nothing and he can spread defenses out.

He did all of that in Virginia Tech's 20-17 win over Georgia Tech on Saturday in the Hokies' ACC opener while Glennon watched every snap from the sideline.

The Hokies' two-quarterback system is officially down to one. This is Taylor's team now.

"Sean Glennon is a good, good quarterback," Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said. "He's been a great quarterback for us. He's been a great team player for us. I feel for him. I really feel for him. But Tyrod just fits where we are as a football team right now. I'm all about team. How many wins can we get? You've just got to put those pieces together and Tyrod right now is one of those pieces. A major piece."

Quarterbacks coach Mike O'Cain said it would've been a much easier decision if Glennon would "stink it up," but Glennon helped lead the Hokies to the 2007 ACC title and hasn't played poorly this season. This is not sitting well with him. Nor should it. But, like O'Cain said, if they want to win, they see no alternative.

"We have no other move," O'Cain said. "That's what I told him, we don't have another tight end, we don't have any more wide receivers, we don't have another tailback we can stick in the game. The only move is this one. It's unfortunate, but that's the reality of what we thought we had to do to win football games. It's not him. I don't want anybody to think we are blaming him because we are absolutely not."

Taylor is now 6-0 as a starter. He was the team's second leading rusher against Georgia Tech with 74 yards and one touchdown on 15 carries, including a 23-yard run on the final drive of the second quarter that he celebrated by beating his chest.

"He's a tough guy to tackle, I'll tell you that," Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson said. "You know he's going to run the ball, and we still couldn't tackle him."

The passing game was almost as non-existent as option-loving Georgia Tech's. Taylor was 9-for-14 for 48 yards. He said he would like to throw more, but "the game dictates how the play calling goes."

"We did call some plays that were going down field," he said. "Some protection got messed up, switched up, miscommunication and I had to check down sometimes."

That's how it's going to be, at least until Virginia Tech's pass protection improves and the receivers begin to run better routes. Taylor threw the ball just 14 times, the longest pass going for 10 yards. The staff had called three or four downfield passes that Taylor didn't get off, and another two or three pass plays expected to go about 15 or 20 yards that Taylor decided to pull down.

"That's a thing we have to live with," O'Cain said. "Sometimes it's going to be good, sometimes it's not going to be good. You live with that. I don't want to coach him and tie his athleticism down. Standing in the pocket, wanting to b a great pocket passer, that's not where he is right now. He's a good passer, but he has to be a good passer when he feels comfortable being a good passer.

"That's the way we have to play offensively. We're not good enough. It's a work in progress with us offensively, and it's going to be a work in progress, maybe all the way 'til the end of the season. It's going to be work."

That's the difference between Taylor and Glennon, though. Taylor didn't have to throw the ball to win this game.

"I think he makes a tremendous difference," O'Cain said. "He puts a pressure on a defense that nobody else can put on them in terms of their pass rush lanes and things like that. He's always a threat to pull it down, that affects coverage, that affects linebacker drops, that affects a lot of things."

Glennon the most.

Now those stats aren't exactly earthshattering, but it was his 1st game back..It will be interesting how we handle him.