A look at Pinkel's past at MU

caveman99

Saw this rundown of Pinkel's record at MU thus far and I gained a new appreciation of just how tough it was for the AD to stick with Pinkel throughout. I always knew they struggled, but the up and down portion in the middle around 2003 and 2004, it looks similar to NU with Callahan. Will TO or his successor be this patient with Bo? The pressure from our fan base is can get to much higher levels than I am sure it ever was at MU.

Year Overall Pct. Big 12 (Place) Pct.

2001 4-7 .363 3-5 (5th) .375

2002 5-7 .417 2-6 (5th) .250

2003 8-5 .615 4-4 (3rd) .500

2004 5-6 .455 3-5 (2nd) .375

2005 7-5 .583 4-4 (2nd) .500

2006 8-4 .667 4-4 (2nd) .500

2007 12-2 .857 7-1 (1st) .875

Saw this rundown of Pinkel's record at MU thus far and I gained a new appreciation of just how tough it was for the AD to stick with Pinkel throughout. I always knew they struggled, but the up and down portion in the middle around 2003 and 2004, it looks similar to NU with Callahan. Will TO or his successor be this patient with Bo? The pressure from our fan base is can get to much higher levels than I am sure it ever was at MU.

Year Overall Pct. Big 12 (Place) Pct.

2001 4-7 .363 3-5 (5th) .375

2002 5-7 .417 2-6 (5th) .250

2003 8-5 .615 4-4 (3rd) .500

2004 5-6 .455 3-5 (2nd) .375

2005 7-5 .583 4-4 (2nd) .500

2006 8-4 .667 4-4 (2nd) .500

2007 12-2 .857 7-1 (1st) .875

Great question. The difference is that at MU they did not expect to win --- or, at least they (the fans and media) did not demand winning. So, it was easier to be patient with Pinkel. At NU, people demand to win --- so the patience will be less. That said, the past 6-7 years have given NU fans a real dose of reality (that you cannot always win) and that may help --- we have had enough bad years now to appreciate even a 8 win season (that, at one time, would have been totally unacceptable). That argues that Bo might be grnted some time. As I see it, stick with Bo and play it out.

all was well until 2004. Trying to make Smith a pocket passer was pretty dumb. Then thank god for 2005 and the spread.

Most of the heat came after 2004. A strong finish in 05, including a come from behind on the "ol' ball coach's" team really put him back on the good side. The fans that were calling for his head were very few. they were pretty vocal, but still a small percentage.

They want to win at MU. THey have blown through some coaches over the years. The main difference is where the programs were. Pinkel took over a team that had won 7 games combined the previous two seasons. (when your team had been to one bowl in like 20 years and hasnt been winning more than 5-6 games, its pretty dumb to think about firing a 9-10 win coach) There was improvement before 2004. MU follows the same patern on most of their FB coaches. IF things go bad, you get a chance to fix it. If you cant fix it you are done. IF MU had laid an egg in 2005, I would bet the house that MU would have fired Pinkel

Just because there had not been success doesn't mean fans/media/schools dont desire and demand it. You just have to look at it in the right light. MU basketball has fired coaches and been ticked about performances of teams the NU basketball coaches would have gotten raises for. It doesnt mean NU basketball wants to win any less. It just means there hasnt been a real high track record set.

AD Mike Alden has done a great job at Mizzou, as has Pinkel. Alden's only mistake was Quin Snyder.

Pinkel has been very popular with his players, but rather detached. Until the death on the practice field of Aaron O'Neal. Pinkel himself says he changed after that, and partially credits that change with last season's success.

He has what must be the most loyal staff in the US, 3 assts. with him for 17 seasons. (although I think OC Dave Christiansen will be a HC somewhere next season)

True - the demand for excellence (as in titles) was not as great at Mizzou, but Alden had seen what he did at Toledo, and has believed in him. And, except for 1 season, he's improved over the previous season every year.

I'm a fairly typical MU fan/alum. I'd love a NC this year, but overall, I'm glad we have an honorable, ethical hard working guy running our program.

AD Mike Alden has done a great job at Mizzou, as has Pinkel. Alden's only mistake was Quin Snyder.

Pinkel has been very popular with his players, but rather detached. Until the death on the practice field of Aaron O'Neal. Pinkel himself says he changed after that, and partially credits that change with last season's success.

He has what must be the most loyal staff in the US, 3 assts. with him for 17 seasons. (although I think OC Dave Christiansen will be a HC somewhere next season)

True - the demand for excellence (as in titles) was not as great at Mizzou, but Alden had seen what he did at Toledo, and has believed in him. And, except for 1 season, he's improved over the previous season every year.

I'm a fairly typical MU fan/alum. I'd love a NC this year, but overall, I'm glad we have an honorable, ethical hard working guy running our program.

Tiger:

I can say this about MU. My wife and I traveled down to MU and went to the game in 1997 where we won in OT because of that miracle kick catch play by Matt Davison. At that game, from start to finish, the MU fans were great to us. We were in red and yet they were wonderful to us --- even in defeat. I have since hung with an array of MU fans and have always liked MU because of the fans --- they had fun, did not take it too seriously, and were always nice. Now I know others on the board here denounce the MU fans -- and some may have had some bad experiences (all programs have their bad fans) --- but generally I think we NU fans simply have a hard time not being the big dog and whoever is the big dog (MU now) is somehow bad.

All of this is to say that I agree that not only is Pinkel an honorable, ethical, hard working guy (or, at least appears to be), the MU program is not a "bad guy" program. KSU and CU --- yes, bad guys, bad fans, coaches who are less than honorable or ethical. So, at least this one NU fan can say I do not begrudge either MU or KU their success. If NU cannot be top B12 dog than let it be MU, KU, or ISU).

Of course, I hope that NU topples MU and, for that matter, everyone else too.

I think as long as TO is the AD, he will be patient with how Pelini progresses as a HC.

What happens after TO steps down in 2010 as he has already said he will? He will step down in June, just before Bo Pelini's 3rd year. That is the start of make or break time and if the fan base gets impatient, will the new AD have the gumption to stick with him as MU did with Pinkel?

Tiger:

I can say this about MU. My wife and I traveled down to MU and went to the game in 1997 where we won in OT because of that miracle kick catch play by Matt Davison. At that game, from start to finish, the MU fans were great to us. We were in red and yet they were wonderful to us --- even in defeat. I have since hung with an array of MU fans and have always liked MU because of the fans --- they had fun, did not take it too seriously, and were always nice. Now I know others on the board here denounce the MU fans -- and some may have had some bad experiences (all programs have their bad fans) --- but generally I think we NU fans simply have a hard time not being the big dog and whoever is the big dog (MU now) is somehow bad.

All of this is to say that I agree that not only is Pinkel an honorable, ethical, hard working guy (or, at least appears to be), the MU program is not a "bad guy" program. KSU and CU --- yes, bad guys, bad fans, coaches who are less than honorable or ethical. So, at least this one NU fan can say I do not begrudge either MU or KU their success. If NU cannot be top B12 dog than let it be MU, KU, or ISU).

Of course, I hope that NU topples MU and, for that matter, everyone else too.

My two brothers, my sister-in-law, and I were at that game...can't say we got the same reception after that game. Actually had some guy come up and get mouthy with my SIL - and she is the most docile person there is. He backed down when my brother stepped in (he is big as a house and not fat).

However, I haven't written Missouri fans off like I have Colorado fans. That was a very emotional game, up and down and all around. I have never been so worn out. I think some people there, not all, let the emotion get to them being disappointed that they were so close to beating us finally, and let it slip on a fluke play that wasn't real clear to anyone in the stands until we got home and watch it on ESPN that night.

I don't think Nebraska fans would ever be as patient as Missouri fans have been. I have to hand them a compliment on that. If we have a team that is our rival, since it can't be Oklahoma, I wouldn't mind it being Missouri. They play clean, and their fans are very supportive of their team for the most part, though there have been a few years when their stadium was pretty empty when they was down.

Even though most people were supportive with the hiring of Bo, I don't think if we hit a long skid that lasted more than a couple of years people would stand still for it. If we ever had less than 5 wins, I think his tenure with Nebraska could come to an end rather quickly. I don't think the fans or the University either one would take mediocrity, even with the absence of Peterson. I am not really sure how Pinkel made it as long as he did with the Missouri fans. Now that they have won, I have to wonder how long he would last if he had two bad years in a row again. I don't think they would be that patient...as we wouldn't.

It has been a long time since we had to know how to lose...maybe the last four years was good for us in that respect, reminded us how we need to react when we do lose...I always get the comment from other fans of other schools that the reason Nebraska fans are so easy going is because they always have a winning team. Maybe now we can say, that is not true, and we still didn't implode as a fan base. I hope so...time will tell.

I am not really sure how Pinkel made it as long as he did with the Missouri fans. Now that they have won, I have to wonder how long he would last if he had two bad years in a row again. I don't think they would be that patient...as we wouldn't.

You bring up an interesting point. I have seen a change in the attitudes of MU fans since they have started winning. You can sense the venom against other teams in their message boards. While I think the users on this site do the same to a certain extent, I think it is being taken farther by MU fans. If Pinkel can't recreate this success in the Post-Daniels era, I don't know how patient they will be again. Certainly if the guy who writes in Husker H8ter blog is any indication, I don't think he would last 2 "mediocre" 7-8 win seasons.

I am not really sure how Pinkel made it as long as he did with the Missouri fans. Now that they have won, I have to wonder how long he would last if he had two bad years in a row again. I don't think they would be that patient...as we wouldn't.

You bring up an interesting point. I have seen a change in the attitudes of MU fans since they have started winning. You can sense the venom against other teams in their message boards. While I think the users on this site do the same to a certain extent, I think it is being taken farther by MU fans. If Pinkel can't recreate this success in the Post-Daniels era, I don't know how patient they will be again. Certainly if the guy who writes in Husker H8ter blog is any indication, I don't think he would last 2 "mediocre" 7-8 win seasons.

if you told me the bad seasons would be 7-8 wins i would buy right now. Most Mu fans know it isnt going to last forever. I for one feel the next 2 years are the most important. If MU doesnt fall of the face of the earth then i think they are here to stay. That doesnt mean top 5 every year. but in and around the top 25 with atleast 7 wins consistantly is a good team. If you throw in some runs of 9-10 wins or more and some top 10 apperiance, i think you would be hard pressed to find a tiger fan not willing to take that deal