Bo's Penalty

Stupid Stupid Stupid............ I like Bo's passion and fire.....he is the right man for the job, but under the circumstances this was pathetically stupid. If we hold them to a field goal, we have plenty of time to possibly score and add 2pt for a tie game. This gave VT 1st and goal with momentum and our D not much of a chance. This played out HUGE ! If Peterson doesn't fumble, we are already almost in fg range, considering Henry's 48 yd would have been good by 58..... without the cheap TD by Bo's penalty, a fg would have tied the game with 10 sec.

I love Bo, but he did the same thing in the Alamo Bowl and put our D in jeopardy, luckily they had the talent to overcome that one (and Smoker sucked) or we might have been beaten there too.

He needs to realize when to pull back a little.

Stupid Stupid Stupid............ I like Bo's passion and fire.....he is the right man for the job, but under the circumstances this was pathetically stupid. If we hold them to a field goal, we have plenty of time to possibly score and add 2pt for a tie game. This gave VT 1st and goal with momentum and our D not much of a chance. This played out HUGE ! If Peterson doesn't fumble, we are already almost in fg range, considering Henry's 48 yd would have been good by 58..... without the cheap TD by Bo's penalty, a fg would have tied the game with 10 sec.

I love Bo, but he did the same thing in the Alamo Bowl and put our D in jeopardy, luckily they had the talent to overcome that one (and Smoker sucked) or we might have been beaten there too.

I agree. The timing for that was not good. Maybe the third quarter or in better field position - but not then.

Im looking for opinions. heres mine.

I like that he did it. To bad it cost us 15 yards in the end but it shows us that he has fire and passion. Something that we soorely needed after last year. Even though we lost we still played hard to our abilities. Those abilities just need improved.

I liked it. When I see that from coaches, they stop looking like employees of a university and start looking like their team really matters to them. Now, what I want to see is some of that directed to our team too, goodness knows they earned it after last nights game. We've been working on those "simple mistakes" all year so far.

Passion without discipline is not going to get us very far. Passion is needed, but without discipline on the field it's going to result in lots of jumping offsides, late hit penalties, special teams penalties (passion says to take out a defender who has a line on the returner; discipline says to lay off if it's going to be a block in the back), over pursuing on defense (and getting burned on cutbacks, reverses, etc), fumbles, and interceptions by forcing passes.

But yeah, it's good to see the passion. I'm not going to throw Bo under the bus for this. But he'd better not be still drawing such penalties in a year or two.

Liked it??!!!

It cost us a chance to win the game. Not to mention it sends a terrible signal to the rest of the team about being disciplined, e.g., Suh's second personal foul on the VT PAT.

I love Bo's enthusiasm, but am pretty disappointed that he couldn't keep a lid on it at such a critical point of the game.

I don't disagree we coulda done without the penalty, but to be honest we had - by my reckoning - 60 minutes to outscore VT, and we couldn't get it done. Bo, didn't cost us a win.

Liked it??!!!

It cost us a chance to win the game. Not to mention it sends a terrible signal to the rest of the team about being disciplined, e.g., Suh's second personal foul on the VT PAT.

I love Bo's enthusiasm, but am pretty disappointed that he couldn't keep a lid on it at such a critical point of the game.

It didnt cost us anything. I dont understand why people are saying that. If anything the penalty on Suh cost us more. Bos just got em a bit further to the goal, and with the way they were moving the ball I don't beleive it would have made a damn bit of difference. Jesus christ.

Skull-bones

Agreed....... we had plenty of other chances and many other mistakes. Just pointing out that the timing of the penalty ultimately took away any possibiltiy of pulling it out at the end. This was definately not the ONLY reason that NU lost.

Skull-bones

Agreed....... we had plenty of other chances and many other mistakes. Just pointing out that the timing of the penalty ultimately took away any possibiltiy of pulling it out at the end. This was definately not the ONLY reason that NU lost.

I hear ya! Bo's a passinate guy, but some restraint when you are in his position is definitely needed. I still am not willing to throw him under the bus though.

Skull-bones

Well, it didn't take away ANY possibility, because in fact we did get the ball back and had it (for a second or two) in our territory. It contributed a little, but we couldn't stop them from 10 yards out. How can you say we'd have stopped them from 20? Or they might well have gotten one first down and used more clock with another 4 downs, too much to give us a chance to do anything?

My take is a little more philosophical. If I'm a player and I just got flagged for something I didn't intend to do and it's probably going to be the difference between a win and a loss, and I look over to the sideline to see my coach with his nostrils flared, face red, screaming his head off...at the ref, that means something. My coach is fighting for me. He's on my side. He's got my back. And by God, he's going to let the bastards know it.

When a team sees their coach defending them like a lion even when it might have been the deciding factor in a huge ball game, I think you get something far more valuable than what you lose in fifteen measly yards.