Bo: Saying The Right Words

huskerpilot

After the game I was devastated. I was sweating blood, grinding my teeth, gouging my eyes out, and cutting myself....and then bo came in on from press conference and my fears were calmed. If this alone is the only difference I will see the whole year, it might be enough.

Everytime Callahan was interviewed after a loss, he would say something to the extent of, "You know we played our very best. Our guys really did great, and we just came up short this week". That made me so furious every time. NO CALLAHAN, THINGS AREN'T OK, WE JUST HAD OUR ASSES HANDED TO US.

That isn't Bo's attitude. He's actually honest with us. When things sucked, he says it. His exact words were "Bonehead plays" this weekend. I know he's not satisfied, and WONT be satisfied until we don't loose games. That alone gives me tons of confidence. Its right in the husker prayer:

DAY BY DAY, WE GET BETTER AND BETTER

TILL WE CAN'T BE BEAT

WON'T BE BEAT

I think Bo is actually going to live that out.

Anyway, everyone has had observations about the game on Saturday, that's my two cents.

This isn't directed at either of you two ( i just wanted to get that out there before I start, so there is no misinterpretation) I find it unbelievable that some people are already calling it quits on this season. We lost to Virginia Tech, a good, well coached team. That's all before i go on a huge rant.

Hey man I totally agree. I will stand behind Bo for a solid 5 years minimum. I won't make any judgment calls at all until he has his own players. Anyone who writes him off sooner is simply a fool.

Hopefully I didn't come across as anit-bo. I totally believe 100% he will turn this program around.

This team might take a few hits before the season is over. But I dont think it will go from bad to worse over the remainder of the year. I like what brotha BorNred said - basically give credit to the other team if the Huskers lose. It's best not to sulk and thow tantrums after a loss (even though a loss will always sting). Rather, take the high road. Be positive or find it within the game. Root the Huskers on each week. Each week is different.

I'm a Husker fan. I wont sip it :koolaid2:

I wont chug it :koolaid2:

I'll shower in that sh!t :koolaid2:

:)

Beat Missouri!!! GBR!!!

AM

Bo will get plenty of support from me. I think Bo and Bob Stoops are very close in coaching styles and what not. I don't know why, but I keep going back to Stoops' first year at OU. Very similar to what Bo has come into but Stoops had a lot more talent to work with. Plus the Big XII wasn't nearly as strong top to bottom then as it is now. OU went 7-5 in that first season with Stoops.

It's not a bad thing to be an enthusiastic fan and think we are always going to win. But when the loses come, being realistic could be the only thing that keeps some from going over the "edge". This isn't the 90's anymore, accept it. I will cheer this team on until the day I die, but will do so with a level head. Do I think we can beat Missouri? Hell yeah, but if we lose it's not like I'm going to be depressed. This is another piece of the puzzle this season in telling us where we're at.

What's fun to me is watching this team improve before our eyes. Inconsistency is to be expected with a new staff and new mind set. Give it time. We are on a journey with Bo as the captain, he will lead us to glory.

lots of folks predicted 7-5 or 6-6......they understand, they won't be the problem......you have to worry about the :koolaid2: drinkers.....

I agree, most expected this to be a rough year. I predicted 8-4, but I figured we'd beat VT, so maybe 7-5 now. As much as I would like to see a polished product, in hindsight, this team has played about how you would expect a team coming off a 5-7 monumental disaster with a new coaching staff. What is the frustrating part is, that eventhough how bad the team played, they still could have beat VT. I like Bo, I like his passion, I don't like the unsportsmanlike penalties, though. I gave Callahan a chance, and Bo is no different in that respect. I just can't stand those that will give Bo a pass when they hated Callahan for similar things. I think Bo will end up doing well, but I think that the team needs to be more prepared coming off a bye week. Things won't get any easier the rest of the way and the team will really have to scratch and claw for every win. Yeah, seeing effort and fight is great, but I'd like to see some wins too. :)

Its scares me a little. I worry that if/when things get worse and people turn on him they will use his own words against him. things are going to get worse before they get better. and we will have coward fans that turn on him... just wait

I'm not saying he should change or anything....its part of being a coach

Mel:

You are so correct. This has been my contention all along. The fans will turn on Bo and this team. Part of it stems from people thinking that we have the talent to compete (when we don't) and therefore fans expecting that we should beat ranked teams (when we shouldn't) and therefore when we lose they blame the coaches (which they should not).

Husker nation needs simply to recognize that the 'Skers are simply a mid level program with mid-level talent and that we should root them on as the ascend --- but realize that the next few years will be rough. If Bo is not the man --- well then NU football is dead and falls off the map for the forseeable future. Support him now. Support him with all you have. Our (the fans) view matters. We have to stick with our team through thick and thin. And... we are in thin right now.

After the games with Missouri and TTech, I'd expect (though I hope I am wrong) that there will be boos for the team and the coaches. For our part tell everyone you know not to join that chorus.

In a way, the comments here about Bo are very much tied in with another thread about Nebraska fans. I didn't see the press conference (we live in Kentucky and had to get the game on ppv) but from the comments I read about him "calling a spade a spade" I'd say that in my opinion, that's what Nebraska fans wanted from the head coach of a major college football program. You had Callahan and how many press conferences did he conduct that left you wanting more? How many vague phrases did Callahan need to utter before his words began to sound the same as the press conference before, and the one before that, and so on? With Bo Pellini, you know what you get and that's the truth, even if it is brutally honest. Nebraska fans want to be a player, a major player, again in the ever elusive hunt for a national championship: For that to happen, you better hope the head coach is being as open and honest with you as possible. You call yourself the best fans in college football, and having experienced several games at Memorial Stadium and a few bowl games to boot, I'd have to agree that Nebraska fans are the finest, and most courteous, and, in contrast to their nasty counterparts in Boulder, supportive of the exemplerary play, of the effort, of the competition. Now, you must be a fan of the coach and he must know you support him. You welcomed Bo Pellini when he was hired: now is the time to welcome his honesty as well.

All you have to do, if you can, is watch a few games from last year. We are better and it took a hell of a lot of good coaching to turn it this far this quick. We were bottom of the barrel last year with spirits broken. I see a MUCH improved attitude, effort and trust in our coaches. I simply can't see that as anything but big improvement. I like what I see, and none of us should expect a perfect season after last year. This is a dam tough gig. Props to Bo and Staff!!!