No need to feel bad about Vtech

The defense is vastly improved our D-line played very very well in the first half. What pisses me off about the way the game played out. Is nebraska abandoned the running game early. And marlon is a good player but roy helu IS A GREAT PLAYER. He is faster and has a great burst. And If our offense can wake up. We should have a shot against missouri.

BUT

1. Our secondary is one of the worst in america, recievers were wide open all night.

2. What is wrong with larry asante? Physically, he looks like one of the most gifted safteys in the counrty. But he hasnt a clue how to play in pass coverage.

3. I LOVE BO PELINI. And as much as i hate the penalty, he committed...He will have us back next year.

4. Mike Mcneill is the best tight end to come to nebraska is 20 years.

5. There are no difference makers at wide reciever. Good possesion recievers but no burners/purifys

6. We are going to go 7-5. I think we could beat missouri, if the offense gets some consistancy.

DONT GIVE UP BIG RED NATION

Helu is not a great player yet, but he has the upside to be one.

1. Our secondary is one of the worst in america, recievers were wide open all night.

--several missed assignments in the zone scheme, especially by the safeties. Our guys bite really bad on play action and shifting pockets. Hard to play solid at CB if you can't rely on the safeties for help.

2. What is wrong with larry asante? Physically, he looks like one of the most gifted safteys in the counrty. But he hasnt a clue how to play in pass coverage.

--he has a long way to go. I believe he is only a Jr. with a year of JUCO, a year of moron Coz, and 4 games under Pelini/Sanders. Let's see how he is at the end of the year. But yes, he looks terrible right now.

3. I LOVE BO PELINI. And as much as i hate the penalty, he committed...He will have us back next year.

--I agree here. I don't know about next year yet, but I see steady improvement in the DL and LB.

--if he improves as quickly as he has been coming along in his blocking, he can be. Don't underestimate the impact Ron Brown has on him. That man can flat out coach football. Wasn't Johhny Mitchell within the last 20 years?

5. There are no difference makers at wide reciever. Good possesion recievers but no burners/purifys

--Not that the staff has any confidence in. I think Gilleyan could be the burner, and Chris Brooks seems to be a game changer when I've seen him be involved in the gameplan.

6. We are going to go 7-5. I think we could beat missouri, if the offense gets some consistancy.

---I think Mizzou is going to be a very difficult challenge. I hope we make a game of it, because another blowout like last year could send us into another tailspin. Traveling to Lubbock is a hornet's nest with our suspect safety play.

I can think of a reason to feel bad. Losing. Could have won, did not. 7 point favorites and goes down, some knuckleheaded penalties at the end, that is bad. There were some good positives too, but there is a need to feel a little bit bad.

True, but there has been progress made by the defense if u watch the film. I dunno. I guess missouri, will tell us how good we really are. I mean i hate losing but ive kind of gotten used to it since 2004.....

Exactly, jayhawk. Team lost and that never feels good. What's worse is that we showed again on TV that we were overrated, and that feels even worse.

To be fair it could have been worse than that...so hey, at least we have the whole "not in a spiraling-out-of-control catastrophic implosion" thing going for us. That's something, after last year.

The defense is vastly improved our D-line played very very well in the first half. What pisses me off about the way the game played out. Is nebraska abandoned the running game early. And marlon is a good player but roy helu IS A GREAT PLAYER. He is faster and has a great burst. And If our offense can wake up. We should have a shot against missouri.

BUT

DONT GIVE UP BIG RED NATION

I'm not giving up!

That said, our secondary is not one of the worst in the nation. Consider that Anthony West, Prince Amukamara, and Eric Haag are all Sophomores --- each have less than 6 games under their belts. Asante is a Junior --- Thenarse and Culbert are Juniors and neither have had more than 6 games under their belts. They have had multiple coaches to contend with and are on a team with a very fragile ego. All that together means that what we see now is not what they will be. Are they good? Not now. Are they collectively speaking a 5 on a scale of 10? No. More like a 2.5 or so. Worst in the nation. No. And, by seasons end they may be a 5 on a scale of 10 (average). By next year, with Anthony Blue rejoining, with a complete season under their belts and with learning on the fly they could be a 7 on a scale of 10. These guys are simply young, overwhelmed and learning. They have potential.

As for the WR position --- that we have no playmakers who can command double coverage or who can gain separation from a good DB. Yep. There you nailed it on the head. But even there, Niles Paul and perhaps Gilliyan (sp?) may have potential. But, generally, we have trouble there.

As for going 7-5 --- well.... lets see how the Missouri and TTech games go --- if there is one (or worse still, two) epic blowouts (say 35 pts or more differential) then a 7-5 record is really unlikely. That is, 7-5 is really optimistic. Lets hope no one hangs 70 on us. If so, then the crushed spirit of the team may carry over and, at that point, a .500 season would be an achievement. If the fans turn on this team, they will fold. Lets hope that does not happen.

Ehhh...I feel pretty bad about it. Here's why:

1) The secondary problem isn't going to go away in the next three or four games. Hell, it might not even go away for the rest of the season. VT was an average team, at best. VT's offense stalled throughout its first games of the season. Then they come into Nebraska and our defense makes Taylor and company look like rock stars. If we made an average QB with little to no receivers look that good...how are we going to make Chase, Harrell, Bradford, and Reesing look? Not only are these individuals excellent QBs, but they have the personnel to back them up.

2) The coaches have abandoned the run. It didn't work in 15 carries, so obviously that's a reason to totally forget about it, right? Third and two? Why run the ball when you can try to set up some lame screen play that fails miserably? And don't say VT stacked the box...because they didn't.

3) The offensive line is bad. A sack with only three defensive down linemen? You're kidding right? You have five big dudes in their blocking and you can't block three guys rushing the QB? Wow...so much for the "strength of the team". I mean..Murtha is in there, so what's the excuse now? Ehhh....I forgot. Andy still isn't on the line. THAT must be the reason why they suck...

4) Still don't have any huge play makers at wide receiver. Yeah, Swift and Peterson are doing good...but I doubt any defenses are going to make a game plan around them. Hey Mo, could you come back please? Maybe wear a disguise or something? Just wear Holt's number or something...they don't seem interested in using him anyway.

5) Still misusing Marlon Lucky. Sorry folks, but he isn't a running back. He IS a big play maker though. Put him in the slot, put Helu as running back, and you can do alot of interesting things.

6) Nebraska has no good safeties. This position on defense needs to be looked at again. Get somebody else in there because it is quite obvious those individuals who play this position do not know what's going on.

7) Dancing around on the sidelines after a punt return is ridiculous. Someone should have told them they were still losing and time was running out. If you want to dance, take up ballet.

One thing I really feel good about is the defensive line...specifically the middle. Don't let those penalties on Suh fool you, he is playing great. Ty is having a great year too. Kudos to them.

To me, the game brought about the good, the bad, and the ugly. If Tyrod Taylor could pass at all, we would have been in big time trouble. How many times did his receivers have to stop, stand, and then wait for the ball to get to them? Our DB's were a good 5 to 10 yards behind them even after they stopped. I thought the DL played well until I saw that they rushed for over 200 yards. They did play well at times. The bend but don't break D worked pretty well mostly holding them to fieldgoals. Ganz pretty much gift wrapped a TD for them. I'm still pi$$ed about all the throwing especially on 3rd and short.

VT had over 70 snaps compared to our 51. At first thought, one would assume that our D was just playing horrid. But, the fact remains we were only 2 of 11 on 3rd down. There were a lot more points scored by both teams that I thought would be scored. I thought Watson totally abandoned the running game way too early in the game. If you take away the errors, we probably won the game. I mean Ganz gave them 7 points. Special teams gave them 2 points. Then Suh and Pelini handed them another 4 points as they probably would have gotten at least a field goal.

Now if there is a silver lining, VT was one blocked punt away from probably being a top 10 ranked team. VT didn't make mistakes. They played well and were composed, yet we were right there to the very end. The late hit call at the end of the game was the right call. I have no idea what Pelini said, so I don't know whether or not his call was warranted.

In order to even play with Mizzou, Shawn Cosgrove is going to have to stick with the running game. If he abandons the running game as early and as easily as he did against VT, then we have a chance of shortening the game and being there to the end. If we pass until Ganz's arm falls off again, we're going to get beat like a red headed stepchild.

I agree with almost all of this thread. The team is very young and inexperienced in most areas. In fact I haven't heard anyone talk aboout Ganz. If you really think about this he has only had what, 6 games as a starter or even with any real playing time? His knowledge of the offense is great but his experience is very limited. Unfortunately he is still learning on the fly. I really hope some of the backups get some real time this year or we are in the same boat next year. Although I think we are now trying to play with the strength of the players more so than last year. The problem is most of these kids have never been in alot of situations you find yourself and your team in durring game time. I for one will have a little patience and watch them improve.

GBR

We lost a game we SHOULD have WON how can anyone be happy about? We were favored by 7 points and lost by 5 that sucks.

So what if they are showing more then we did last year. Is that really that big of a deal since last years team stunk? (for the record so far this year the offense is behind last years) WE SHOULD BE BETTER. Sorry but I can't stand around hand in hand waiting for this "rebuilding" process with the man how some thinks walks on water. I want to see wins this year and more improvement then "well we played with fire and are better then Callahan's team last year" give me a frekaing break. Is this what Nebraska Football has come to? That is scary if you ask me.

Sorry the game is played to have a winner and a loser. It isn't played to see which team played with more heart and to HOPE we win. Wait that is why everyone gets a trophy now a days. I will never fall into this way of thinking, I can't.

It pains me to say this but the KU fan gets it.

Wait everything is roses and butterflies though because Bo tells it like he sees it plus the defense runs to the ball (yet they miss a crapload of tackles) we run the option sometimes and we almost beat a good team. Joy To The World, Happy Days are here again.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go do backflips because we almost won that game on Saturday and never gave up.