Am I alone here

First off just let me say that I know this is a “rebuilding” process and I know we aren’t going to win every game.

That being said am I the only one that is sick of the defeatist mentality that is floating around the Nation this year? I know we are fighting an up hill battle and I know we have taken our lumps since November of 2001, but come on. WE ARE NEBRASKA. When did losing become alright? When did losing become expected? When did it become acceptable to predict a loss by your favorite team? When did people go from caring about the scoreboard and start caring if we just play hard? When did it become alright to lose a game we SHOULD have won just as long as there was “fire” in the guys? If you ask me a lot of this is freaking J.V. or High School crap.

I know Mizzou has a great offense but they are beatable. Chase Daniel is good but he isn’t unstoppable. Coz figured out how to slow him down in 06. MacLain is awesome as well but if we kick away from him that takes away a huge threat in their game plan. One man won’t beat us this isn’t basketall. Their defense is completely untested aside from Illinois and the Juice lit them up that day.

Sure Tech has an awesome offense but they have not played anyone. Their defense is also untested and unproven. Their offense is awesome against J.V. squads but what happens when they play a team with a good red zone defense?

For the record if I hear anymore of this crap I’m going to puke:

1. I don’t care if we finish 6-6 as long as we show improvement over last year.

2. I don’t care if we lose as long as we play hard.

3. We can’t beat Mizzou, Tech, or OU this year so I just hope we keep it close.

4. It is ok that we lost to Va Tech because they fought all the way to the end.

5. It is alright that our fundamentals still stink and that we still have mental breakdowns because Bo tells us like it is and that is so refreshing.

6. We need more talent.

7. These linemen were brought in to pass block.

Maybe I’m naïve and all but like I said WE ARE NEBRASKA losing should not be acceptable. I know it happens but come on why be alright with it?

We are Nebraska. What does that even mean? It seems to imply that you are taking into account what Nebraska has done in the past. Yeah, Nebraska has been a historically great team, but how does that help now?

I never like to lose, but I also have to be realistic. Do I think we can beat Missouri? Yeah, we can. We have a chance. Do I think we will beat Missouri? No, I don't. Does this mean I'm okay with losing? No, it doesn't. Just because I am a realistic fan, doesn't mean I think losing is okay.

Being Nebraska has nothing to do with whether you win or not. That thinking is what got us into this mess in the first place.

Nebraska is not guarnteed victories.

You have to win the games, the N does not.

You have to have the talent to win those games, as our old coaches used to say, its not the X's and O's it is the Jimmy's and Joe's.

I want to win evey game just as badly as anyone, but their is time for common sense. A time to say we need time to learn, to grow and to understand. This that time.

If we win every remaining game, all will be wonderful in Husker land. But if we lose 4-5 more in horrific fashion it will not be pretty here to say the least. The questioning of our head coach has already started, just like it did with BC. We have faced our easiest of the tough games I think. We lost but we played well enough to give us hope that we are making progress.

It is like comparing a Volkswagon bug to a new Mercedes AGM Both have the same parts, the same ideas, but one is a lot better. Not saying we are the lowly VW, but we are not the Mercedes either. Some things take time. You heard our coach yesterday say reality, many, many, many, times. He knows where we are and what we have to do to be where we want it to be. He will get us there, but it is going to take time, I think.

But just wanting to win, saying you are going to win, hoping to win does not merit victory. You have to have the pieces to do it.

I have always been the kool aid drinker, this year I am not. I want them to win, I hope they win, but I am not jumping off the cliff if they don't. But I have always felt if we do have a bad season this year it will affect the fans just like it did the with the last staff. The rumblings are already here.

Saying you do not think a team will win is not being less of a fan. It is using your common sense and stating what you think is fact. Maybe right or wrong, but saying you are going to win because you are Nebraska is lacking in base realism.Those days were around, but then again we never won all of them then either, even with superior talent.

WE all want the same things. But my caution is for the long term. I do not want to see Husker fans up in arms calling for the head of this coach or that coach this year. I want to see this staff get all the time it needs to put together what they deam necessary to win. I think we will be respectable, and after last year that is a major step in the right direction.

But if we should happen to win all the games, I promise I will be just as happy as the ones predicting we are going to now.. And I will eat the crow and honor my bet to keep my silence.

Being Nebraska has nothing to do with whether you win or not. That thinking is what got us into this mess in the first place.

You have to have the talent to win those games, as our old coaches used to say, its not the X's and O's it is the Jimmy's and Joe's.

I want to win evey game just as badly as anyone, but their is time for common sense. A time to say we need time to learn, to grow and to understand. This that time.

If we win every remaining game, all will be wonderful in Husker land. But if we lose 4-5 more in horrific fashion it will not be pretty here to say the least. The questioning of our head coach has already started, just like it did with BC. We have faced our easiest of the tough games I think. We lost but we played well enough to give us hope that we are making progress.

It is like comparing a Volkswagon bug to a new Mercedes AGM Both have the same parts, the same ideas, but one is a lot better. Not saying we are the lowly VW, but we are not the Mercedes either. Some things take time. You heard our coach yesterday say reality, many, many, many, times. He knows where we are and what we have to do to be where we want it to be. He will get us there, but it is going to take time, I think.

But just wanting to win, saying you are going to win, hoping to win does not merit victory. You have to have the pieces to do it.

I have always been the kool aid drinker, this year I am not. I want them to win, I hope they win, but I am not jumping off the cliff if they don't. But I have always felt if we do have a bad season this year it will affect the fans just like it did the with the last staff. The rumblings are already here.

Saying you do not think a team will win is not being less of a fan. It is using your common sense and stating what you think is fact. Maybe right or wrong, but saying you are going to win because you are Nebraska is lacking in base realism.Those days were around, but then again we never won all of them then either, even with superior talent.

WE all want the same things. But my caution is for the long term. I do not want to see Husker fans up in arms calling for the head of this coach or that coach this year. I want to see this staff get all the time it needs to put together what they deam necessary to win. I think we will be respectable, and after last year that is a major step in the right direction.

But if we should happen to win all the games, I promise I will be just as happy as the ones predicting we are going to now.. And I will eat the crow and honor my bet to keep my silence.

Now THAT was well said! That's exactly how I feel.

I hate it when fans say, "But we are Nebraska." Oh well crap. I guess we better tell Mizzou who we are so they can just roll over and let us win. Sorry. No one cares how well we have done in the past. No one cares that we are 3.83 time National Champs. No one cares that we have won numerous conference championships. Why? Because that was in the past. It has no impact on how this season will go.

Yes. I am a Husker fan, but I also have to look at the facts and be realistic.

dont ever keep silent "skersfan"

your comments are what alot of people need to read, especially the ones that start calling for coaches heads after a first loss, or poor playing.

I for one will never accept defeat, and will not be happy with a loss, but what I will do, is watch the game over, look for the mistakes that were made and see what could be corrected.

Bo is a young head coach, and is learning also. He states at every press confrence that this is a "Work in Progress" and "We're not there yet". I truley believe that he is talking about himself, just as much as he is talking about the team.

Every team is beatable, and I am glad that we play each game on the field.

What is WE ARE NEBRASKA? (I assume it is kind of like the “Nebraska Way” that gets thrown around here so often) It is a tradition of Winning and not being satisfied with a loss. It is winning the games we SHOULD win. It is not giving up 35 points to an average Va Tech and then turning around and being happy about it. IMO

Like I said I know we aren’t going to win every game that is unrealistic to think that. However I don’t like the fact that people are ok with the losses. Don’t get me wrong since the 2002 season I don’t get upset over losses but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t bother me and that I’m alright with it. Some of the talk on this board is crazy. People talking about it being ok that Mizzou could end a streak this weekend because a lot of the other streaks have already been broken. Considering Callahan got ripped for this I find it very hypocritical and just a little bit odd.

Have we become so used to losing games the last 6 years that we have grown ok with it and try to make it all shiny and look for the “positives”? I can’t do that, I won’t. Losing to USC, Texas, OU is one thing but losing to an average Va Tech team is another. IMO

For the record I’m behind Bo and some of this staff 100% rain or shine. I won’t call for his head, just like I didn’t call for T.O.’s, Got Franks, or Billy C’s. If you are calling for his head you are kind of a “BO”ob. But that doesn’t mean I can’t question what is going on and where we are at or where we appear headed. Like I have said numerous times, we were told that this staff would have these guys playing fundamentally sound ball and would be very disciplined yet the first 4 games have shown us otherwise.

I know we will take our lumps, I expect us to, that doesn’t mean I have to sit around and sugar coat it with “At least we played hard”. That is a cop-out and in my eyes really really lame.

Disclaimer: I don’t want anyone individual to think that I was calling them out; this is just my view of the overall talk going on around here and all the threads stating that it is ok if we lose this week.

I guess if you don’t expect anything you can’t be let down. Under a rock we go.

New,

Do not ever think I accept a loss. I am a Jar Head. Many years in the Corps. I know what winning means.

My plea has always been patience this year. Do not expect the greatest season in Husker history. Play the games and see what happens.

You are stating that we lost to an average VaTech team. That may very well be, but the games have not been played yet. Last year they lost to LSU the first game. They went on to be ranked the number 3 team in the country prior to losing to Kansas.,

Who is to say it won't be the same this year? They were ranked at the beginning of the season, and quite high for all the freshmen they play. This is a young team, but very talented. Give credit where it is due. That in itself gives credit to our team.

And your statement about being behind Bo 100% is not accurate. If you do not support his assistants you do not support Bo 100%. He made those choices, so you are in actuality questioning his judgement. It is too soon to do that in my mind. This group has never been able to run the ball against a talented defense, there are reasons, and it may be some coaching but it is a talent issue to.

What is WE ARE NEBRASKA? (I assume it is kind of like the “Nebraska Way” that gets thrown around here so often) It is a tradition of Winning and not being satisfied with a loss. It is winning the games we SHOULD win. It is not giving up 35 points to an average Va Tech and then turning around and being happy about it. IMO

Okay, that's what I thought. But obviously your post was not meant for me. I am not okay with losing.

For the record I’m behind Bo and some of this staff 100% rain or shine. I won’t call for his head, just like I didn’t call for T.O.’s, Got Franks, or Billy C’s. If you are calling for his head you are kind of a “BO”ob. But that doesn’t mean I can’t question what is going on and where we are at or where we appear headed. Like I have said numerous times, we were told that this staff would have these guys playing fundamentally sound ball and would be very disciplined yet the first 4 games have shown us otherwise.

I am behind most of this staff too. However, I have never been totally convinced about Watson. I tried to be positive with him during preseason, fall practice, and the first few games, but he just gives me a real uneasy feeling. I will definitely give him more time, but I do not like what I have seen so far. I think it's time for Bo to step in and let him know that it is not okay to abandon the run when down 9-0 with two/three quarters of football to play. It's not okay to ditch a gameplan that early in the game.

'Cause guess what? At the top of this week's gameplan, the very top of the gameplan will say, "run the ball".

If Nebraska wants to have any chance against Missouri, our offense will need to...that's right...run the ball. They need to have long sustained drives (similar to the third quarter drive against VT) that eat up six, seven, even eight minutes on the clock. The longer the better. And then of course, they have to punch it in at the end of these drives. TDs. Not field goals. If the Nebraska offense does not do this, we are going to get smoked.

:yeah:clap

[rant]

Seriously some of you sound like spoiled kids (veruca salt syndrome). Nebraska is about TRADITION it's about EFFORT it's about CLASS, and yes it's about WINNING. But WINNING without TRADITION, EFFORT, and CLASS is not the way NEBRASKA has been or should be, CALLAHAN and PEDERSON never did understand that and that is why they failed and are GONE.

I am just absolutely sick of you WHINING SNIVELING faux-fans. Go away for a few years and come back when we're competing for championships, then everyone will see you for what you really are: fair-weather fans.

[/rant]